- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 846724, 13 pages
TLR Stimulation of Bone Marrow Lymphoid Precursors from Childhood Acute Leukemia Modifies Their Differentiation Potentials
1Oncology Research Unit, Oncology Hospital, Mexican Institute for Social Security, Avenue Cuauhtemoc 330, Colonia Doctores, 06720 Mexico City, Mexico
2Federico Gómez Children's Hospital, 06720 Mexico City, Mexico
3Medical Sciences Program, National Autonomous University of Mexico, 04510 Mexico City, Mexico
4National School of Biological Sciences, National Polytechnic Institute, 11340 Mexico City, Mexico
5Molecular Biomedicine Program, CINVESTAV, 07360 Mexico City, Mexico
6Immunochemistry Research Unit, Medical Specialties Hospital, Mexican Institute for Social Security, 06720 Mexico City, Mexico
7Moctezuma Children's Hospital, 15340 Mexico City, Mexico
8General Hospital, La Raza Medical Center, Mexican Institute for Social Security, 02990 Mexico City, Mexico
Received 1 May 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Alessandro Isidori
Copyright © 2013 Elisa Dorantes-Acosta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Dorantes-Acosta and R. Pelayo, “Lineage switching in acute leukemias: a consequence of stem cell plasticity?” Bone Marrow Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 406796, 18 pages, 2012.
- M. L. Perez-Saldivar, A. Fajardo-Gutierrez, R. Bernaldez-Rios, A. Martinez-Avalos, A. Medina-Sanson, et al., “Childhood acute leukemias are frequent in Mexico City: descriptive epidemiology,” BMC Cancer, vol. 11, no. 355, 2011.
- J. E. Rubnitz, M. Onciu, S. Pounds et al., “Acute mixed lineage leukemia in children: the experience of St Jude Children's Research Hospital,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 21, pp. 5083–5089, 2009.
- C. G. Mullighan, “The molecular genetic makeup of acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Hematology American Society of Hematology Education Program, vol. 2012, no. 1, pp. 389–396, 2012.
- P. Pérez-Vera, A. Reyes-León, and E. M. Fuentes-Pananá, “Signaling proteins and transcription factors in normal and malignant early B cell development,” Bone Marrow Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 502751, 10 pages, 2011.
- M. Greaves, “Infection, immune responses and the aetiology of childhood leukaemia,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 193–203, 2006.
- C. V. Cox, P. Diamanti, R. S. Evely, P. R. Kearns, and A. Blair, “Expression of CD133 on leukemia-initiating cells in childhood ALL,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 14, pp. 3287–3296, 2009.
- O. Heidenreich and J. Vormoor, “Malignant stem cells in childhood ALL: the debate continues!,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 18, pp. 4476–4477, 2009.
- J. Purizaca, I. Meza, and R. Pelayo, “Early lymphoid development and microenvironmental cues in B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 89–101, 2012.
- H. Mayani, “A glance into somatic stem cell biology: basic principles, new concepts, and clinical relevance,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 3–15, 2003.
- E. Vadillo and R. Pelayo, “Toll-like receptors in development and function of the hematopoietic system,” Revista de Investigación Clínica, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 461–476, 2012.
- A. F. McGettrick and L. A. J. O'Neill, “Toll-like receptors: key activators of leucocytes and regulator of haematopoiesis,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 185–193, 2007.
- K. De Luca, V. Frances-Duvert, M.-J. Asensio et al., “The TLR1/2 agonist PAM3CSK4 instructs commitment of human hematopoietic stem cells to a myeloid cell fate,” Leukemia, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 2063–2074, 2009.
- J. M. Kim, N. I. Kim, Y.-K. Oh, Y.-J. Kim, J. Youn, and M.-J. Ahn, “CpG oligodeoxynucleotides induce IL-8 expression in CD34+ cells via mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent and NF-κB-independent pathways,” International Immunology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1525–1531, 2005.
- J. Megias, A. Yanez, S. Moriano, J. E. O'Connor, D. Gozalbo, and G. ML, “Direct Toll-like receptor-mediated stimulation of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells occurs in vivo and promotes differentiation toward macrophages,” Stem Cells, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1486–1495, 2012.
- A. Yáñez, A. Flores, C. Murciano, J.-E. O'Connor, D. Gozalbo, and M. L. Gil, “Signalling through TLR2/MyD88 induces differentiation of murine bone marrow stem and progenitor cells to functional phagocytes in response to Candida albicans,” Cellular Microbiology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 114–128, 2010.
- A. Yáñez, C. Murciano, J.-E. O'Connor, D. Gozalbo, and M. L. Gil, “Candida albicans triggers proliferation and differentiation of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells by a MyD88-dependent signaling,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 531–535, 2009.
- Y. Nagai, K. P. Garrett, S. Ohta et al., “Toll-like receptors on hematopoietic progenitor cells stimulate innate immune system replenishment,” Immunity, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 801–812, 2006.
- R. S. Welner, R. Pelayo, and P. W. Kincade, “Evolving views on the genealogy of B cells,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 95–106, 2008.
- R. S. Welner, R. Pelayo, Y. Nagai et al., “Lymphoid precursors are directed to produce dendritic cells as a result of TLR9 ligation during herpes infection,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. 3753–3761, 2008.
- L. Espinoza-Hernández, J. Cruz-Rico, H. Benítez-Aranda et al., “In vitro characterization of the hematopoietic system in pediatric patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Leukemia Research, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 295–303, 2001.
- A. Colmone, M. Amorim, A. L. Pontier, S. Wang, E. Jablonski, and D. A. Sipkins, “Leukemic cells create bone marrow niches that disrupt the behavior of normal hematopoietic progenitor cells,” Science, vol. 322, no. 5909, pp. 1861–1865, 2008.
- M. Ichii, M. B. Frank, R. V. Iozzo, and P. W. Kincade, “The canonical Wnt pathway shapes niches supportive of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells,” Blood, vol. 119, no. 7, pp. 1683–1692, 2012.
- T. Kawai and S. Akira, “TLR signaling,” Seminars in Immunology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2007.
- C. Pasare and R. Medzhitov, “Control of B-cell responses by Toll-like receptors,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7066, pp. 364–368, 2005.
- A. Iwasaki and R. Medzhitov, “Toll-like receptor control of the adaptive immune responses,” Nature Immunology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 987–995, 2004.
- L. Cervantes-Barragán, C. Gil-Cruz, R. Pastelin-Palacios et al., “TLR2 and TLR4 signaling shapes specific antibody responses to Salmonella typhi antigens,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 126–135, 2009.
- R. S. Welner, B. L. Esplin, K. P. Garrett et al., “Asynchronous RAG-1 expression during B lymphopoiesis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 183, no. 12, pp. 7768–7777, 2009.
- M. T. Baldridge, K. Y. King, and M. A. Goodell, “Inflammatory signals regulate hematopoietic stem cells,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 57–65, 2011.
- J. R. Boiko and L. Borghesi, “Hematopoiesis sculpted by pathogens: toll-like receptors and inflammatory mediators directly activate stem cells,” Cytokine, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- M. Sioud, Y. Fløisand, L. Forfang, and F. Lund-Johansen, “Signaling through toll-like receptor 7/8 induces the differentiation of human bone marrow CD34+ progenitor cells along the myeloid lineage,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 364, no. 5, pp. 945–954, 2006.
- M. A. Schmid, H. Takizawa, D. R. Baumjohann, Y. Saito, and M. G. Manz, “Bone marrow dendritic cell progenitors sense pathogens via Toll-like receptors and subsequently migrate to inflamed lymph nodes,” Blood, vol. 118, no. 18, pp. 4829–4840, 2011.
- M. Sioud and Y. Fløisand, “TLR agonists induce the differentiation of human bone marrow CD34+ progenitors into CD11c+ CD80/86+ DC capable of inducing a Th1-type response,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2834–2846, 2007.
- S.-A. Lee, S.-M. Kim, Y.-H. Son et al., “Peptidoglycan enhances secretion of monocyte chemoattractants via multiple signaling pathways,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 408, no. 1, pp. 132–138, 2011.
- J. F. De Vasconcellos, A. B. A. Laranjeira, N. I. T. Zanchin et al., “Increased CCL2 and IL-8 in the bone marrow microenvironment in acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 568–577, 2011.
- A. Eisenkraft, I. Keidan, B. Bielorai, N. Keller, A. Toren, and G. Paret, “MCP-1 in the cerebrospinal fluid of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Leukemia Research, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1259–1261, 2006.
- M. S. Hossain, D. L. Jaye, B. P. Pollack et al., “Flagellin, a TLR5 agonist, reduces graft-versus-host disease in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation recipients while enhancing antiviral immunity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 187, no. 10, pp. 5130–5140, 2011.
- T. Ikawa, S. Fujimoto, H. Kawamoto, Y. Katsura, and Y. Yokota, “Commitment to natural killer cells requires the helix-loop-helix inhibitor ld2,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 5164–5169, 2001.
- B. Blom and H. Spits, “Development of human lymphoid cells,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 24, pp. 287–320, 2006.
- Y. C. Lin, S. Jhunjhunwala, C. Benner et al., “A global network of transcription factors, involving E2A, EBF1 and Foxo1, that orchestrates B cell fate,” Nature Immunology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 635–643, 2010.