- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 846725, 10 pages
Rotenone Upregulates Alpha-Synuclein and Myocyte Enhancer Factor 2D Independently from Lysosomal Degradation Inhibition
1Laboratory of Neurobiology, Department of Surgery and Interdisciplinary Medicine, University of Milano-Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, 20900 Monza, Italy
2PhD Program in Neuroscience, University of Milano-Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, 20900 Monza, Italy
3Department of Neurology, San Gerardo Hospital, Via Pergolesi 33, 20900 Monza, Italy
Received 5 April 2013; Revised 18 June 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: Michelangelo Mancuso
Copyright © 2013 Gessica Sala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Cuervo, L. Stafanis, R. Fredenburg, P. T. Lansbury, and D. Sulzer, “Impaired degradation of mutant α-synuclein by chaperone-mediated autophagy,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5688, pp. 1292–1295, 2004.
- S. K. Mak, A. L. McCormack, A. B. Manning-Bog, A. M. Cuervo, and D. A. Di Monte, “Lysosomal degradation of α-synuclein in vivo,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 18, pp. 13621–13629, 2010.
- A. M. Cuervo and J. F. Dice, “Regulation of Lamp2a levels in the lysosomal membrane,” Traffic, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 570–583, 2000.
- A. M. Cuervo and J. F. Dice, “Unique properties of lamp2a compared to other lamp2 isoforms,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 113, no. 24, pp. 4441–4450, 2000.
- R. Kiffin, C. Christian, E. Knecht, and A. M. Cuervo, “Activation of chaperone-mediated autophagy during oxidative stress,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 4829–4840, 2004.
- M. Xilouri, T. Vogiatzi, K. Vekrellis, D. Park, and L. Stefanis, “Abberant α-synuclein confers toxicity to neurons in part through inhibition of chaperone-mediated autophagy,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 5, Article ID e5515, 2009.
- L. Alvarez-Erviti, M. C. Rodriguez-Oroz, J. M. Cooper et al., “Chaperone-mediated autophagy markers in Parkinson disease brains,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 1464–1472, 2010.
- P. D. Smith, M. P. Mount, R. Shree et al., “Calpain-regulated p35/cdk5 plays a central role in dopaminergic neuron death through modulation of the transcription factor myocyte enhancer factor 2,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 440–447, 2006.
- Q. Yang, H. She, M. Gearing et al., “Regulation of neuronal survival factor MEF2D by chaperone-mediated autophagy,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5910, pp. 124–127, 2009.
- H. She, Q. Yang, K. Shepherd et al., “Direct regulation of complex I by mitochondrial MEF2D is disrupted in a mouse model of Parkinson disease and in human patients,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 930–940, 2011.
- C. Marin and E. Aguilar, “In vivo 6-OHDA-induced neurodegeneration and nigral autophagic markers expression,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 521–526, 2011.
- B.-Y. Cao, Y.-P. Yang, W.-F. Luo et al., “Paeoniflorin, a potent natural compound, protects PC12 cells from MPP+ and acidic damage via autophagic pathway,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 122–129, 2010.
- M.-K. Kim, S.-C. Kim, J.-I. Kang et al., “6-hydroxydopamine-induced PC12 cell death is mediated by MEF2D down-regulation,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 223–231, 2011.
- G. Sala, L. Brighina, E. Saracchi et al., “Vesicular monoamine transporter 2 mRNA levels are reduced in platelets from patients with Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1093–1098, 2010.
- T. B. Sherer, P. A. Trimmer, K. Borland, J. K. Parks, J. P. Bennett Jr., and J. B. Tuttle, “Chronic reduction in complex I function alters calcium signaling in SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells,” Brain Research, vol. 891, no. 1-2, pp. 94–105, 2001.
- S. Giordano, J. Lee, V. M. Darley-Usmar, and J. Zhang, “Distinct effects of rotenone, 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium and 6-hydroxydopamine on cellular bioenergetics and cell death,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e44610, 2012.
- Y. N. Deng, J. Shi, J. Liu, and Q. M. Qu, “Celastrol protects human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells from rotenone-induced injury through induction of autophagy,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 63, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- K. A. Malkus and H. Ischiropoulos, “Regional deficiencies in chaperone-mediated autophagy underlie α-synuclein aggregation and neurodegeneration,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 732–744, 2012.
- R. Betarbet, T. B. Sherer, G. MacKenzie, M. Garcia-Osuna, A. V. Panov, and J. T. Greenamyre, “Chronic systemic pesticide exposure reproduces features of Parkinson's disease,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1301–1306, 2000.
- R. Betarbet, R. M. Canet-Aviles, T. B. Sherer et al., “Intersecting pathways to neurodegeneration in Parkinson's disease: effects of the pesticide rotenone on DJ-1, α-synuclein, and the ubiquitin-proteasome system,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 404–420, 2006.
- S. V. Kalivendi, D. Yedlapudi, C. J. Hillard, and B. Kalyanaraman, “Oxidants induce alternative splicing of α-synuclein: implications for Parkinson's disease,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 377–383, 2010.
- R. E. Musgrove, A. E. King, and T. C. Dickson, “α-synuclein protects neurons from apoptosis downstream of free-radical production through modulation of the MAPK signalling pathway,” Neurotoxicity Research, vol. 23, pp. 358–369, 2013.
- H.-J. Kim, B. S. Jeon, M.-Y. Yoon, S.-S. Park, and K.-W. Lee, “Increased expression of alpha-synuclein by SNCA duplication is associated with resistance to toxic stimuli,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 249–255, 2012.
- Y. Chen, E. McMillan-Ward, J. Kong, S. J. Israels, and S. B. Gibson, “Mitochondrial electron-transport-chain inhibitors of complexes I and II induce autophagic cell death mediated by reactive oxygen species,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 120, no. 23, pp. 4155–4166, 2007.
- R. A. González-Polo, M. Niso-Santano, M. A. Ortíz-Ortíz et al., “Inhibition of paraquat-induced autophagy accelerates the apoptotic cell death in neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 448–458, 2007.
- G. Filomeni, I. Graziani, D. de Zio et al., “Neuroprotection of kaempferol by autophagy in models of rotenone-mediated acute toxicity: possible implications for Parkinson's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 767–785, 2012.
- L. Yao, W. Li, H. She et al., “Activation of transcription factor MEF2D by bis(3)-cognitin protects dopaminergic neurons and ameliorates parkinsonian motor defects,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 287, pp. 34246–34255, 2012.
- L. Alvarez-Erviti, Y. Seow, A. H. Schapira et al., “Lysosomal dysfunction increases exosome-mediated alpha-synuclein release and transmission,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 360–367, 2011.