- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 849504, 9 pages
Treatment of Chagas Cardiomyopathy
1Postgraduate Course of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, School of Medicine, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 30130 100 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Hospital das Clínicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 30130 100 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
3Fundação Hospitalar do Estado de Minas Gerais, 30150 260 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
4School of Medicine, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, 35400 000 Ouro Preto, MG, Brazil
5Departamento de Fisioterapia, Universidade Federal do Vale do Mucuri e Jequitinhonha, 39100 000 Diamantina, MG, Brazil
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 17 September 2013; Accepted 17 September 2013
Academic Editor: Christof Kolb
Copyright © 2013 Fernando A. Botoni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Chagas disease: control and elimination. (A63/17), 2010, http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA63/A63_17-en.pdf.
- Working to overcome the global impact of neglected tropical diseases. First WHO report on neglected tropical diseases, 2010, http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241564090_eng.pdf.
- C. Beyrer, J. C. Villar, V. Suwanvanichkij, S. Singh, S. D. Baral, and E. J. Mills, “Neglected diseases, civil conflicts, and the right to health,” The Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9587, pp. 619–627, 2007.
- J. H. Maguire, “Chagas' disease—can we stop the deaths?” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 8, pp. 760–761, 2006.
- Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis). Fact sheet N°340. June 2010, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs340/en/.
- A. L. Ribeiro, M. P. Nunes, M. M. Teixeira, and M. O. Rocha, “Diagnosis and management of Chagas disease and cardiomyopathy,” Nature Reviews Cardiology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 576–589, 2012.
- C. Mady, R. H. A. Cardoso, A. C. P. Barretto, P. L. Da Luz, G. Bellotti, and F. Pileggi, “Survival and predictors of survival in patients with congestive heart failure due to Chagas' cardiomyopathy,” Circulation, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 3098–3102, 1994.
- L. A. Cubillos-Garzón, J. P. Casas, C. A. Morillo, and L. E. Bautista, “Congestive heart failure in Latin America: the next epidemic,” American Heart Journal, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 412–417, 2004.
- M. D. L. Higuchi, L. A. Benvenuti, M. M. Reis, and M. Metzger, “Pathophysiology of the heart in Chagas' disease: current status and new developments,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 96–107, 2003.
- J. P. Andrade, J. A. Marin-Neto, A. A. Paola, et al., “Sociedade Brasileira de Cardiologia. I Diretriz Latino Americana para o Diagnóstico e Tratamento da Cardiopatia Chagásica,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 97, no. 2, supplement 3, pp. 1–48, 2011.
- F. S. Machado, L. A. Jelicks, L. V. Kirchhoff et al., “Chagas heart disease: report on recent developments,” Cardiology in Review, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 53–65, 2012.
- J. A. Marin-Neto, E. Cunha-Neto, B. C. Maciel, and M. V. Simões, “Pathogenesis of chronic Chagas heart disease,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 9, pp. 1109–1123, 2007.
- A. Rassi Jr., A. Rassi, W. C. Little et al., “Development and validation of a risk score for predicting death in Chagas' heart disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 8, pp. 799–808, 2006.
- A. L. P. Ribeiro, P. S. Cavalvanti, F. Lombardi, M. D. C. P. Nunes, M. V. L. Barros, and M. O. D. C. Rocha, “Prognostic value of signal-averaged electrocardiogram in Chagas disease,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 502–509, 2008.
- R. B. Bestetti, C. M. R. Dalbo, O. C. Freitas, L. A. C. Teno, O. T. Castilho, and J. S. M. Oliveira, “Noninvasive predictors of mortality for patients with Chagas' heart disease: a multivariate stepwise logistic regression study,” Cardiology, vol. 84, no. 4-5, pp. 261–267, 1994.
- A. Rassi Jr., A. Rassi, and S. G. Rassi, “Predictors of mortality in chronic Chagas disease. A systematic review of observational studies,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 9, pp. 1101–1108, 2007.
- E. Dias, F. S. Laranja, and G. Nobrega, “Doenca de Chagas,” Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 42, pp. 530–545, 1945.
- L. Bogliolo, “Anatomie causes of cardiac insufficiency in chronic chagasic cardiopathy (myocarditis) studied in comparison to anatomic causes of cardiac insufficiency in other cardiopathies. Part I,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 29, pp. 419–424, 1976.
- R. B. Bestetti and G. Muccillo, “Clinical course of Chagas' heart disease: a comparison with dilated cardiomyopathy,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 1997.
- R. R. Roberti, E. E. Martinez, J. L. Andrade et al., “Chagas cardiomyopathy and captopril,” European Heart Journal, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 966–970, 1992.
- A. M. Khoury, D. F. Davila, G. Bellabarba et al., “Acute effects of digitalis and enalapril on the neurohormonal profile of chagasic patients with severe congestive heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 1996.
- H. Freitas, G. Salatino, P. Chizzola, et al., “β-blockers for Chagas's heart disease: the reduction in heart rate may not be associated to improvement in left ventricular ejection fraction and remodeling process,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, abstracts 184 A—Heart Failure, 1999.
- D. F. Davila, F. Angel, G. Arata de Bellabarba, et al., “Effects of metoprolol in chagasic patients with severe congestive heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 255–260, 2002.
- C. D. Alberquerque, M. Batlouni, R. M. Rocha, and on Behalf of Accordes Trial Investigators, “ACCORDES Trial—Brazilian open label study with carvedilol to demonstrate efficacy in chronic heart failure, including a pilot subgroup with Chagas disease,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 9, no. 5, supplement 1, p. S58, 2003.
- F. A. Botoni, P. A. Poole-Wilson, A. L. P. Ribeiro et al., “A randomized trial of carvedilol after renin-angiotensin system inhibition in chronic Chagas cardiomyopathy,” American Heart Journal, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 544.e1–544.e8, 2007.
- R. B. Bestetti, T. A. D. Theodoropoulos, and A. Cardinalli-Neto, “Treating patients with Chagas' cardiomyopathy with chronic heart failure in the contemporary era,” American Heart Journal, vol. 154, no. 5, p. e35, 2007.
- E. A. Bocchi, F. Cruz, G. Guimarães et al., “Long-term prospective, randomized, controlled study using repetitive education at six-month intervals and monitoring for adherence in heart failure outpatients: the REMADHE trial,” Circulation, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 115–124, 2008.
- V. S. Issa, A. F. Amaral, F. D. Cruz et al., “β-Blocker therapy and mortality of patients with Chagas cardiomyopathy: a subanalysis of the REMADHE prospective trial,” Circulation, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 82–88, 2010.
- M. J. Pinazo, D. Tàssies, J. Muñoz, et al., “Hypercoagulability biomarkers in Trypanosoma cruzi infected patients,” Thromb Haemost, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 617–623, 2011.
- A. Rassi Jr., S. G. Rassi, and A. Rassi, “Sudden death in Chagas' disease,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 86–96, 2001.
- P. A. Chiale, M. S. Halpern, and G. J. Nau, “Efficacy of amiodarone during long-term treatment of malignant ventricular arrhythmias in patients with chronic chagasic myocarditis,” American Heart Journal, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 656–665, 1984.
- A. H. Haedo, P. A. Chiale, and J. D. Bandieri, “Comparative antiarrhythmic efficacy of verapamil, 17-monochloracetylajmaline, mexiletine and amiodarone in patients with severe chagasic myocarditis: relation with the underlying arrhythmogenic mechanisms,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1114–1120, 1986.
- M. Rosenbaum, R. Posse, H. Sgammini, et al., “Comparative multicenterclinical study of flecainide and amiodarone in the treatment of ventricular arrhythmias associated with chronic Chagas cardiopathy,” Archivos del Instituto de Cardiología de México, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 325–330, 1987.
- M. Scanavacca and E. Sosa, “Electrophysiologic study in chronic Chagas' heart disease,” São Paulo Medical Journal, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 841–850, 1995.
- E. B. Sternick, M. Martinelli, R. C. Sampaio et al., “Sudden cardiac death in patients with Chagas heart disease and preserved left ventricular function,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 113–116, 2006.
- M. Martinelli, S. F. de Siqueira, E. B. Sternick, et al., “Long-term follow-up of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for secondary prevention in Chagas' heart disease,” Am J Cardiol, vol. 110, no. 7, pp. 1040–1045, 2012.
- M. P. Barbosa, M. O. da Costa Rocha, A. B. de Oliveira, F. Lombardi, and A. L. Ribeiro, “Efficacy and safety of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in patients with Chagas disease,” Europace, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 957–962, 2013.
- A. Cardinalli-Neto, O. T. Greco, and R. B. Bestetti, “Automatic implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in Chagas' heart disease patients with malignant ventricular arrhythmias,” Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 467–470, 2006.
- A. Cardinalli-Neto, R. B. Bestetti, J. A. Cordeiro, and V. C. Rodrigues, “Predictors of all-cause mortality for patients with chronic Chagas' heart disease receiving implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1236–1240, 2007.
- L. R. Leite, G. Fenelon, A. Simoes Jr., G. G. Silva, P. A. Friedman, and A. A. V. de Paola, “Clinical usefulness of electrophysiologic testing in patients with ventricular tachycardia and chronic chagasic cardiomyopathy treated with amiodarone or sotalol,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 567–573, 2003.
- B. D. Henz, T. A. do Nascimento, C. D. O. Dietrich et al., “Simultaneous epicardial and endocardial substrate mapping and radiofrequency catheter ablation as first-line treatment for ventricular tachycardia and frequent ICD shocks in chronic chagasic cardiomyopathy,” Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 195–205, 2009.
- C. A. Muratore and A. Baranchuk, “Current and emerging therapeutic options for the treatment of chronic chagasic cardiomyopathy,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 593–601, 2010.
- U. Ikeda, H. Kasai, A. Izawa et al., “Immunoadsorption therapy for patients with dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure,” Current Cardiology Reviews, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 219–222, 2008.
- M. Dandel, G. Wallukat, A. Englert, and R. Hetzer, “Immunoadsorption therapy for dilated cardiomyopathy and pulmonary arterial hypertension,” Atherosclerosis Supplements, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 203–211, 2013.
- V. Labovsky, C. R. Smulski, K. Gómez, G. Levy, and M. J. Levin, “Anti-β1-adrenergic receptor autoantibodies in patients with chronic Chagas heart disease,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 148, no. 3, pp. 440–449, 2007.
- A. Haberland, S. G. Saravia, G. Wallukat, R. Ziebig, and I. Schimke, “Chronic Chagas disease: from basics to laboratory medicine,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 271–294, 2013.
- A. Haberland, G. Wallukat, and I. Schimke, “Aptamer binding and neutralization of β1-adrenoceptor autoantibodies: basics and a vision of its future in cardiomyopathy treatment,” Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 177–182, 2011.
- M. B. P. Soares and R. R. dos Santos, “Current status and perspectives of cell therapy in Chagas disease,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 104, supplement 1, pp. 325–332, 2009.
- A. C. Campos de Carvalho, R. C. Goldenberg, L. A. Jelicks et al., “Cell therapy in Chagas disease,” Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases, vol. 2009, Article ID 484358, 6 pages, 2009.
- F. Vilas-Boas, G. S. Feitosa, M. B. P. Soares et al., “Early results of bone marrow cell transplantation to the myocardium of patients with heart failure due to Chagas disease,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 159–166, 2006.
- B. R. Tura, H. F. Martino, L. H. Gowdak et al., “Multicenter randomized trial of cell therapy in cardiopathies—MiHeart study,” Trials, vol. 8, article 2, 2007.
- R. Ribeiro dos Santos, S. Rassi, G. Feitosa et al., “Cell therapy in Chagas cardiomyopathy (Chagas arm of the multicenter randomized trial of cell therapy in cardiopathies study): a multicenter randomized trial,” Circulation, vol. 125, no. 20, pp. 2454–2461, 2012.
- M. Ieda, J. D. Fu, P. Delgado-Olguin et al., “Direct reprogramming of fibroblasts into functional cardiomyocytes by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 375–386, 2010.
- J. Lannes-Vieira, J. C. Silverio, I. R. Pereira et al., “Chronic Trypanosoma cruzi-elicited cardiomyopathy: from the discovery to the proposal of rational therapeutic interventions targeting cell adhesion molecules and chemokine receptors—how to make a dream come true,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 104, supplement 1, pp. 226–235, 2009.
- R. B. Bestetti and T. A. D. Theodoropoulos, “A systematic review of studies on heart transplantation for patients with end-stage Chagas' heart disease,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 249–255, 2009.
- L. F. P. Moreira, J. Galantier, A. Benício, A. A. Leirner, I. A. Cestari, and N. A. G. Stolf, “Left ventricular circulatory support as bridge to heart transplantation in Chagas' disease cardiomyopathy,” Artificial Organs, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 253–258, 2007.
- M. M. O. Lima, M. O. C. Rocha, M. C. P. Nunes et al., “A randomized trial of the effects of exercise training in Chagas cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 866–873, 2010.
- M. D. C. P. Nunes, F. R. Beloti, M. M. O. Lima et al., “Functional capacity and right ventricular function in patients with Chagas heart disease,” European Journal of Echocardiography, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 590–595, 2010.
- M. M. O. Lima, M. C. P. Nunes, M. O. C. Rocha, F. R. Beloti, M. C. N. Alencar, and A. L. P. Ribeiro, “Left ventricular diastolic function and exercise capacity in patients with Chagas cardiomyopathy,” Echocardiography, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 519–524, 2010.
- J. R. Coura and J. Borges-Pereira, “Chronic phase of Chagas disease: why should it be treated? A comprehensive review,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 641–645, 2011.
- A. L. Andrade, F. Zicker, R. M. Oliveira et al., “Randomised trial efficacy of benznidazole in the treatment of early Trypanosoma cruzi infection,” The Lancet, vol. 318, no. 9039, pp. 1407–1413, 1996.
- S. Sosa-Estani, E. L. Segura, A. M. Ruiz, B. M. Porcel, and C. Yampotis, “Efficacy of chemotherapy with benznidazole in children in the intermediate phase of Chagas disease,” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 59, pp. 526–529, 1998.
- J. A. Marin-Neto, A. Rassi Jr., C. A. Morillo et al., “Rationale and design of a randomized placebo-controlled trial assessing the effects of etiologic treatment in Chagas' cardiomyopathy: the BENznidazole Evaluation For Interrupting Trypanosomiasis (BENEFIT),” American Heart Journal, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2008.