- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 850424, 5 pages
Relationship between Anthropometric Factors, Gender, and Balance under Unstable Conditions in Young Adults
1Laboratory of Movement Studies (LEM), Institute of Orthopedics and Traumatology (IOT), Hospital das Clínicas (HC), School of Medicine, University of São Paulo, 05403-010 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Physical Education and Sports Department, Cumhuriyet University, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
3Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Education and Research Hospital, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinic, Ankara, Turkey
Received 11 October 2012; Revised 19 December 2012; Accepted 29 December 2012
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Spinella
Copyright © 2013 Júlia Maria D’Andréa Greve et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Prado, T. A. Stoffregen, and M. Duarte, “Postural sway during dual tasks in young and elderly adults,” Gerontology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 274–281, 2007.
- A. C. Alonso, J. M. D. A. Greve, and G. L. Camanho, “Evaluating the center of gravity of dislocations in soccer players with and without reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament using a balance platform,” Clinics, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 163–170, 2009.
- A. C. Alonso, G. C. Brech, A. M. Bourquin, and J. M. D. A. Greve, “The influence of lower-limb dominance on postural balance,” Sao Paulo Medical Journal, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 410–413, 2011.
- B. McGraw, B. A. McClenaghan, H. G. Williams, J. Dickerson, and D. S. Ward, “Gait and postural stability in obese and nonobese prepubertal boys,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 484–489, 2000.
- P. kejonen, K. Kauranen, and H. Vanharanta, “The relationship between anthropometric factors and body-balancing movements in postural balance,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2003.
- J. M. D. A. Greve, A. C. Alonso, A. C. P. G. Bordini, and G. L. Camanho, “Correlation between body mass index and postural balance,” Clinics, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 717–720, 2007.
- K. P. Cote, M. E. Brunet, B. M. Gansneder, and S. J. Shultz, “Effects of pronated and supinated foot postures on static and dynamic postural stability,” Journal of Athletic Training, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2005.
- T. Ledin and L. M. Odkvist, “Effects of increased inertial load in dynamic and randomized perturbed posturography,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 249–252, 1993.
- W. J. C. Cachupe, B. Shifflett, L. Kahanov, and E. H. Wughalter, “Reliability of biodex balance system measures,” Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 97–108, 2001.
- M. R. M. Mainenti, E. C. Rodrigues, J. F. Oliveira, A. S. Ferreira, C. M. Dias, and A. L. S. Silva, “Adiposity and postural balance control: correlations between bioelectrical impedance and stabilometric signals in elderly Brazilian women,” Clinics, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1513–1518, 2011.
- J. Swanenburg, E. D. de Bruin, K. Favero, D. Uebelhart, and T. Mulder, “The reliability of postural balance measures in single and dual tasking in elderly fallers and non-fallers,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 9, article 162, 2008.
- A. C. Alonso, E. Bronzatto-Filho, G. C. Brech, and F. V. Moscoli, “Estudo comparativo do equilíbrio postural entre atletas de judô e indivíduos sedentários,” Revista Brasileira de Biomecânica, vol. 9, no. 17, pp. 130–137, 2008.
- L. Chiari, L. Rocchi, and A. Cappello, “Stabilometric parameters are affected by anthropometry and foot placement,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 17, no. 9-10, pp. 666–677, 2002.
- R. Molikova, M. Bezdickova, K. Langova et al., “The relationship between morphological indicators of human body and posture,” Biomedical Papers of the Medical Faculty of the University Palacký, Olomouc, Czechoslovakia, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 261–265, 2006.
- I. D. Loram, H. Gollee, M. Lakie, and P. J. Gawthrop, “Human control of an inverted pendulum: is continuous control necessary? Is intermittent control effective? Is intermittent control physiological?” Journal of Physiology, vol. 589, no. 2, pp. 307–324, 2011.
- A. Goulding, I. E. Jones, R. W. Taylor, J. M. Piggot, and D. Taylor, “Dynamic and static tests of balance and postural sway in boys: effects of previous wrist bone fractures and high adiposity,” Gait and Posture, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 136–141, 2003.
- F. Berrigan, M. Simoneau, A. Tremblay, O. Hue, and N. Teasdale, “Influence of obesity on accurate and rapid arm movement performed from a standing posture,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1750–1757, 2006.
- O. Hue, M. Simoneau, J. Marcotte et al., “Body weight is a strong predictor of postural stability,” Gait and Posture, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 2007.
- P. X. Ku, N. A. Abu Osman, A. Yusof, and W. A. W. Abas, “Biomechanical evaluation of the relationship between postural control and body mass index,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1638–1642, 2012.
- W. Berger, M. Trippel, M. Discher, and V. Dietz, “Influence of subjects' height on the stabilization of posture,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 1992.
- A. C. Alonso, N. M. S. Luna, L. Mochizuki, F. Barbieri, S. Santos, and J. M. D. A. Greve, “The influence of anthropometric factors on postural balance: the relationship between body composition and posturographic measurements in young adults,” Clinics, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 1433–1441, 2012.
- P. Allard, M. L. Nault, S. Hinse, R. LeBlanc, and H. Labelle, “Relationship between morphologic somatotypes and standing posture equilibrium,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 624–633, 2001.
- A. J. Y. Lee and W. H. Lin, “The influence of gender and somatotype on single-leg upright standing postural stability in children,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 173–179, 2007.
- S. L. Rozzi, S. M. Lephart, W. S. Gear, and F. H. Fu, “Knee joint laxity and neuromuscular characteristics of male and female soccer and basketball players,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 312–319, 1999.