- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 850547, 8 pages
Risk Factors for the First Episode of Klebsiella pneumoniae Resistant to Carbapenems Infection in Critically Ill Patients: A Prospective Study
Department of Critical Care, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, University Hospital of Larissa, 41110 Thessaly, Greece
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 12 August 2013; Accepted 2 October 2013
Academic Editor: Saad Nseir
Copyright © 2013 Konstantinos Mantzarlis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Y. Peleg and D. C. Hooper, “Hospital-acquired infections due to gram-negative bacteria,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 19, pp. 1804–1813, 2010.
- D. P. Raymond, S. J. Pelletier, T. D. Crabtree, H. L. Evans, T. L. Pruett, and R. G. Sawyer, “Impact of antibiotic-resistant Gram-negative bacilli infections on outcome in hospitalized patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1035–1041, 2003.
- G. W. Waterer and R. G. Wunderink, “Increasing threat of Gram-negative bacteria,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 29, supplement, no. 4, pp. N75–N81, 2001.
- H. Giamarellou and G. Poulakou, “Multidrug-resistant gram-negative infections: what are the treatment options?” Drugs, vol. 69, no. 14, pp. 1879–1901, 2009.
- P. Nordmann, G. Cuzon, and T. Naas, “The real threat of Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing bacteria,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 228–236, 2009.
- P. Giakkoupi, A. Xanthaki, M. Kanelopoulo et al., “VIM-1 metallo-β-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae strains in Greek hospitals,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 3893–3896, 2003.
- A. Leavitt, S. Navon-Venezia, I. Chmelnitsky, M. J. Schwaber, and Y. Carmeli, “Emergence of KPC-2 and KPC-3 in carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae strains in an Israeli hospital,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 3026–3029, 2007.
- Z. Samra, O. Ofir, Y. Lishtzinsky, L. Madar-Shapiro, and J. Bishara, “Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae producing KPC-3 in a tertiary medical centre in Israel,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 525–529, 2007.
- S. Bratu, M. Mooty, S. Nichani et al., “Emergence of KPC-possessing Klebsiella pneumoniae in Brooklyn, New York: epidemiology and recommendations for detection,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 3018–3020, 2005.
- N. Woodford, P. M. Tierno Jr., K. Young et al., “Outbreak of Klebsiella pneumoniae producing a new carbapenem-hydrolyzing class A β-lactamase, KPC-3, in a New York Medical Center,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 4793–4799, 2004.
- S. Bratu, D. Landman, R. Haag et al., “Rapid spread of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in New York City: a new threat to our antibiotic armamentarium,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 12, pp. 1430–1435, 2005.
- N. Gupta, B. M. Limbago, J. B. Patel, and A. J. Kallen, “Carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae: epidemiology and prevention,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2011.
- J. S. Garner, W. R. Jarvis, T. G. Emori, T. C. Horan, and J. M. Hughes, “CDC Defionitions for nosocomial infections, 1988,” The American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 128–140, 1988.
- M. E. Falagas, P. K. Koletsi, and I. A. Bliziotis, “The diversity of definitions of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and pandrug-resistant (PDR) Acinetobacter baumannii and Pseudomonas aeruginosa,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1619–1629, 2006.
- O. Zarkotou, S. Pournaras, P. Tselioti et al., “Predictors of mortality in patients with bloodstream infections caused by KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and impact of appropriate antimicrobial treatment,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1798–1803, 2011.
- A. Tsakris, I. Kristo, A. Poulou et al., “Evaluation of boronic acid disk tests for differentiating KPC-possessing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates in the clinical laboratory,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 362–367, 2009.
- C. Franklin, L. Liolios, and A. Y. Peleg, “Phenotypic detection of carbapenem-susceptible metallo-β-lactamase- producing gram-negative bacilli in the clinical laboratory,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 3139–3144, 2006.
- O. C. Tablan, L. J. Anderson, R. Besser, C. Bridges, and R. Hajjeh, “Guidelines for preventing health-care-associated pneumonia, 2003: recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee,” MMWR, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 1–36, 2004.
- G. Patel, S. Huprikar, S. H. Factor, S. G. Jenkins, and D. P. Calfee, “Outcomes of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae infection and the impact of antimicrobial and adjunctive therapies,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1099–1106, 2008.
- K. Hussein, H. Sprecher, T. Mashiach, I. Oren, I. Kassis, and R. Finkelstein, “Carbapenem resistance among Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates: risk factors, molecular characteristics, and susceptibility patterns,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 666–671, 2009.
- E. I. Kritsotakis, C. Tsioutis, M. Roumbelaki, A. Christidou, and A. Gikas, “Antibiotic use and the risk of carbapenem-resistant extended-spectrum-β-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae infection in hospitalized patients: results of a double case-control study,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 6, Article ID dkr116, pp. 1383–1391, 2011.
- G. L. Daikos, E. Vryonis, M. Psichogiou et al., “Risk factors for bloodstream infection with Klebsiella pneumoniae producing VIM-1 metallo-β-lactamase,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 65, no. 4, Article ID dkq005, pp. 784–788, 2010.
- M. E. Falagas, P. I. Rafailidis, D. Kofteridis et al., “Risk factors of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae infections: a matched case: control study,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1124–1130, 2007.
- K. Mantzarlis, S. Manoulakas, D. Makris, P. Zygoulis, and E. Zakynthinos, K. Pneumoniae Producing Carbapenemases Infections in Critically Ill Patients: Prevalence and Risk Factors, ESICM e-poster, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- A. Michalopoulos and M. Falagas, “Colistin: recent data on pharmacodynamics properties and clinical efficacy in critically ill patients,” Annals of Intensive Care, vol. 1, no. 1, article 30, 2011.
- M. Ziaka, S. L. Markantonis, M. Fousteri et al., “Combined intravenous and intraventricular administration of colistin methanesulfonate in critically ill patients with central nervous system infection,” Antimicrob Agents Chemother, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1938–1940, 2013.
- A. Polito, E. Patorno, J. M. Costello et al., “Perioperative factors associated with prolonged mechanical ventilation after complex congenital heart surgery,” Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. e122–e126, 2011.
- L. B. Gasink, P. H. Edelstein, E. Lautenbach, M. Synnestvedt, and N. O. Fishman, “Risk factors and clinical impact of Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing K. pneumoniae,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1180–1185, 2009.
- E. Mouloudi, E. Protonotariou, A. Zagorianou et al., “Bloodstream infections caused by metallo-β-lactamase/Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing K. pneumoniae among intensive care unit patients in Greece: risk factors for infection and impact of type of resistance on outcomes,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1250–1256, 2010.
- S. Nseir, D. Makris, D. Mathieu, A. Durocher, and C.-H. Marquette, “Intensive care unit-acquired infection as a side effect of sedation,” Critical Care, vol. 14, article R30, 2010.
- A. Borer, L. Saidel-Odes, S. Eskira et al., “Risk factors for developing clinical infection with carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in hospital patients initially only colonized with carbapenem-resistant K pneumoniae,” The American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 40, pp. 421–425, 2012.
- Y. G. Kwak, S.-H. Choi, E. J. Choo et al., “Risk factors for the acquisition of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae among hospitalized patients,” Microbial Drug Resistance, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 165–169, 2005.
- I. Sánchez-Romero, Á. Asensio, J. Oteo et al., “Nosocomial outbreak of VIM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates of multilocus sequence type 15: molecular basis, clinical risk factors, and outcome,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 420–427, 2012.
- S.-W. Liu, H.-J. Chang, J.-H. Chia, A.-J. Kuo, T.-L. Wu, and M.-H. Lee, “Outcomes and characteristics of ertapenem-nonsusceptible Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteremia at a university hospital in Northern Taiwan: a matched case-control study,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 2012.