- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 850840, 7 pages
Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery in Pediatric Patients: The Taiwan Experience
1Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, 100 Tzyou 1st Road, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
2Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medical School, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shi-Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
3Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
Received 7 December 2012; Revised 6 May 2013; Accepted 7 May 2013
Academic Editor: Abdelwahab Omri
Copyright © 2013 Yu-Kai Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. L. Gans and G. Berci, “Advances in endoscopy of infants and children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 199–233, 1971.
- S. L. Gans and G. Berci, “Peritoneoscopy in infants and children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 399–405, 1973.
- F. Götz, A. Pier, and C. Bacher, “Modified laparoscopic appendectomy in surgery—a report on 388 operations,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 6–9, 1990.
- B. M. Rodgers, F. Moazam, and J. L. Talbert, “Thoracoscopy in children,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 189, no. 2, pp. 176–180, 1979.
- F. C. Ryckman and B. M. Rodgers, “Thoracoscopy for intrathoracic neoplasia in children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 521–524, 1982.
- J. A. Kern and B. M. Rodgers, “Thoracoscopy in the management of empyema in children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1128–1132, 1993.
- C. Keys, E. McLeod, and C. Pesti, “Thoracoscopic pleural biopsy as an aid to diagnosis in pediatric tuberculosis with pleural involvement,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 315–317, 2012.
- G. Grisaru-Soen, M. Eisenstadt, and G. Paret, “Pediatric parapneumonic empyema: risk factors, clinical characteristics, microbiology, and management,” Pediatric Emergency Care, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 425–429, 2013.
- S. Y. Choi, Y. H. Kim, and K. H. Jo, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 505–509, 2013.
- Y. W. Seong, C. H. Kang, and J. T. Kim, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy in children: safety, efficacy, and risk factors for conversion to thoracotomy,” The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 1236–1242, 2013.
- Y. W. Seong, B. S. Yoo, and J. T. Kim, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy in children: safety and efficacy compared with the conventional thoracotomy approach,” Innovations, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 394–398, 2012.
- I. Cano, J. L. Antón-Pacheco, A. García, and S. Rothenberg, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy in infants,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 997–1000, 2006.
- K. Parikh, A. Vaidya, and R. Jain, “Preliminary results of VATS thymectomy for pediatric myasthenia gravis,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 595–598, 2011.
- J. C. Fraga, S. Rothenberg, and E. Kiely, “Video-assisted thoracic surgery resection for pediatric mediastinal neurogenic tumors,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 1349–1353, 2012.
- C. S. Liu, T. W. Chin, and C. F. Wei, “Intraoperative non-puncture laparoscopic examination of contralateral internal inguinal rings is feasible in children with unilateral hydrocele,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 188–192, 1998.
- G. W. Holcomb III, J. W. Brock III, and W. M. Morgan III, “Laparoscopic evaluation for a contralateral patent processus vaginalis,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 970–974, 1994.
- T. E. Lobe and K. P. Schropp, “Inguinal hernias in pediatrics: initial experience with laparoscopic inguinal exploration of the asymptomatic contralateral side,” Journal of Laparoendoscopic Surgery, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 135–140, 1992.
- C. Liu, T. Chin, S. E. Jan, and C. Wei, “Intraoperative laparoscopic diagnosis of contralateral patent processus vaginalis in children with unilateral inguinal hernia,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 106–108, 1995.
- M. H. Wu and W. M. Hsu, “Laparoscopic Ladd's procedure for intestinal malrotation: report of three cases,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 152–155, 2002.
- Y. T. Chang, “Early laparoscopy for ileocolic intussusception with multiple recurrences in children,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 2001–2004, 2009.
- E. W. Fonkalsrud, “Current management of pectus excavatum,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 502–508, 2003.
- S. Länsman, W. Serlo, O. Linna et al., “Treatment of pectus excavatum with bioabsorbable polylactide plates: preliminary results,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1281–1286, 2002.
- Q. Zeng, J. Y. Lai, C. J. Wang et al., “A cross-sectional study of lung volume development in pectus excavatum patients: estimating the total lung volume from chest computed tomograph using 3-dimensional volumetric reconstruction,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 2322–2327, 2010.
- D. Nuss, R. E. Kelly, D. P. Croitoru, and M. E. Katz, “A 10-year review of a minimally invasive technique for the correction of pectus excavatum,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 545–552, 1998.
- P. Y. Chang, Z. Y. Hsu, J. Y. Lai, C. J. Wang, and Y. T. Ching, “Increase in intrathoracic volume in pectus excavatum patients after the Nuss procedure,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 133–137, 2010.
- P. Y. Chang, Z. Y. Hsu, D. P. Chen, J. Y. Lai, and C. J. Wang, “Preliminary analysis of the forces on the thoracic cage of patients with pectus excavatum after the Nuss procedure,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 881–885, 2008.
- Q. Zeng, J. Y. Lai, X. M. Wang et al., “Costochondral changes in the chest wall after the Nuss procedure—ultrasonographic findings,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 2147–2150, 2008.
- J. F. Griffith, T. H. Rainer, A. S. Ching, et al., “Sonography compared with radiography in revealing acute rib fracture,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 173, no. 6, pp. 1603–1609, 1999.
- J. Y. Lai, C. J. Wang, and P. Y. Chang, “The measurement and designation of the pectus bar by computed tomography,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2287–2290, 2009.
- C. W. Lin, K. C. Chen, G. Y. Diau, and C. C. Chu, “Late-onset vital complication after the Nuss procedure for pectus excavatum,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 71–73, 2012.
- N. Y. Hsu, C. S. Shih, C. P. Hsu, and P. R. Chen, “Spontaneous hemopneumothorax revisited: clinical approach and systemic review of the literature,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 1859–1863, 2005.
- S. P. Luh and T. C. Y. Tsao, “Video-assisted thoracic surgery for spontaneous haemopneumothorax,” Respirology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 443–447, 2007.
- E. S. Kim, J. Y. Kang, C. H. Pyo, et al., “12-year experience of spontaneous hemopneumothorax,” Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 14, pp. 149–153, 2008.
- Y. T. Chang, Z. K. Dai, E. L. Kao et al., “Early video-assisted thoracic surgery for primary spontaneous hemopneumothorax,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2007.
- J. S. Chen, K. C. Huang, Y. C. Chen et al., “Pediatric empyema: outcome analysis of thoracoscopic management,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 137, no. 5, pp. 1195–1199, 2009.
- T. H. Chen, Y. H. Tseng, C. M. Tseng, H. H. Chiang, and T. J. Lin, “Spontaneous hemopneumothorax simulating acute abdominal affections,” Pediatric Pulmonology, 2012.
- G. Haciibrahimoglu, L. Cansever, C. I. Kocaturk, U. Aydogmus, and M. A. Bedirhan, “Spontaneous hemopneumothorax: is conservative treatment enough?” Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 240–242, 2005.
- S. R. Casós and J. D. Richardson, “Role of thoracoscopy in acute management of chest injury,” Current Opinion in Critical Care, vol. 12, pp. 584–589, 2006.
- K. H. Wang, C. H. Chang, Y. J. Cheng, Y. T. Chang, and P. C. Chang, “Emergent bilateral thoracoscopy for massive hemopneumothorax with contralateral pneumothorax,” The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1235.e1–1235.e3, 2011.
- V. Tomulescu, V. Ion, A. Kosa, O. Sgarbura, and I. Popescu, “Thoracoscopic thymectomy mid-term results,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 1003–1007, 2006.
- R. S. Singh, S. K. Behera, R. Saji, and R. S. Dhaliwal, “Thymectomy for myasthenia gravis: 12-year experience,” Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 299–303, 2003.
- T. Kido, “Endoscopic surgery with the sternum-lifting method,” Nippon Geka Gakkai zasshi, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 273–277, 2006.
- F. Augustin, T. Schmid, M. Sieb, P. Lucciarini, and J. Bodner, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus robotic-assisted thoracoscopic surgery thymectomy,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. S768–S771, 2008.
- C. P. Hsu, C. Y. Chuang, N. Y. Hsu, and C. Y. Chen, “Comparison between the right side and subxiphoid bilateral approaches in performing video-assisted thoracoscopic extended thymectomy for myasthenia gravis,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 821–824, 2004.
- C. P. Hsu, “Subxiphoid approach for thoracoscopic thymectomy,” Surg Endosc, vol. 16, article 1105, 2002.
- C. M. Yeh, H. C. Chen, C. M. Chou, and C. P. Hsu, “Hybrid combination of small subxiphoid incision and thoracoscopic thymectomy for juvenile myasthenia gravis,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 780–783, 2011.
- C. H. Kuo, I. C. Chen, S. S. Lin et al., “Co-existence of posttraumatic empyema thoracis and lung abscess in a child after blunt chest trauma: a case report,” Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2010.
- A. C. Y. Ho, C. Y. Chen, M. W. Yang, and H. P. Liu, “Use of the Arndt wire-guided endobronchial blocker to facilitate one-lung ventilation for pediatric empyema during video-assisted thoracoscopy,” Chang Gung Medical Journal, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 104–110, 2005.
- A. C. Y. Ho, H. S. Chung, P. P. Lu, C. L. Hong, M. W. Yang, and H. P. Liu, “Facilitation of alternative one-lung and two-lung ventilation by use of an endotracheal tube exchanger for pediatric empyema during video-assisted thoracoscopy,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1752–1756, 2004.
- N. Amin, “Urokinase in the management of complicated parapneumonic effusions in children,” Chest, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1579–1583, 1997.
- A. Kornecki and Y. Sivan, “Treatment of loculated pleural effusion with intrapleural urokinase in children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1473–1475, 1997.
- L. A. Robinson, A. L. Moulton, W. H. Fleming, A. Alonso, and T. A. Galbraith, “Intrapleural fibrinolytic treatment of multiloculated thoracic empyemas,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 803–814, 1994.
- D. L. Faber, L. A. Best, M. Orlovsky, M. Lapidot, R. R. Nir, and R. Kremer, “Streptokinase fibrinolysis protocol: the advantages of a non-operative treatment for stage II pediatric empyema patients,” Israel Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 157–161, 2012.
- C. Leung and Y. C. Chang, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery in a 1-month-old infant with pleural empyema,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 936–940, 2006.