- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 854340, 6 pages
Periodontal Disease Is an Independent Predictor of Intracardiac Calcification
1Albert Einstein Medical Center and Jefferson Medical College, 5501 Old York Road, Levy, Philadelphia, PA 19141, USA
2Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
3Osaka Dental University, Osaka 573-1121, Japan
Received 4 April 2013; Revised 23 July 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Abel Romero-Corral
Copyright © 2013 Gregg S. Pressman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Oliver, L. J. Brown, and H. Loe, “Periodontal diseases in the United States population,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 269–278, 1998.
- T. H. Howell, P. M. Ridker, U. A. Ajani, C. H. Hennekens, and W. G. Christen, “Periodontal disease and risk of subsequent cardiovascular disease in U.S. male physicians,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 445–450, 2001.
- M. S. Tonetti, F. D'Aiuto, L. Nibali et al., “Treatment of periodontitis and endothelial function,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 9, pp. 911–920, 2007.
- P. B. Lockhart, A. F. Bolger, P. N. Papapanou et al., “Periodontal disease and atherosclerotic vascular disease: does the evidence support an independent association?: a scientific statement from the american heart association,” Circulation, vol. 125, pp. 2520–2544, 2012.
- E. Fox, D. Harkins, H. Taylor et al., “Epidemiology of mitral annular calcification and its predictive value for coronary events in African Americans: the Jackson cohort of the atherosclerotic risk in communities study,” American Heart Journal, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 979–984, 2004.
- E. Barasch, J. S. Gottdiener, E. K. Marino Larsen, P. H. Chaves, and A. B. Newman, “Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in community-dwelling elderly individuals with calcification of the fibrous skeleton of the base of the heart and aortosclerosis (the cardiovascular health study),” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 1281–1286, 2006.
- C. S. Fox, R. S. Vasan, H. Parise et al., “Mitral annular calcification predicts cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: the Framingham heart study,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 11, pp. 1492–1496, 2003.
- S. Kohsaka, Z. Jin, T. Rundek et al., “Impact of mitral annular calcification on cardiovascular events in a multiethnic community: the Northern Manhattan study,” JACC Cardiovascular Imaging, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 617–623, 2008.
- E. L. Schiffrin, M. L. Lipman, and J. F. Mann, “Chronic kidney disease: effects on the cardiovascular system,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 85–97, 2007.
- R. Sharma, D. Pellerin, D. C. Gaze et al., “Mitral annular calcification predicts mortality and coronary artery disease in end stage renal disease,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 348–354, 2007.
- G. S. Pressman, V. Crudu, A. Parameswaran-Chandrika, A. Romero-Corral, B. Purushottam, and V. M. Figueredo, “Can total cardiac calcium predict the coronary calcium score?” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 202–206, 2011.
- J. M. Lewis, M. V. Morgan, and F. A. Wright, “The validity of the CPITN scoring and presentation method for measuring periodontal conditions,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1994.
- M. S. Tonetti and N. Claffey, “Advances in the progression of periodontitis and proposal of definitions of a periodontitis case and disease progression for use in risk factor research: group C consensus report of the 5th European workshop in periodontology,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 32, supplement 6, pp. 210–213, 2005.
- M. A. Allison, P. Cheung, M. H. Criqui, R. D. Langer, and C. M. Wright, “Mitral and aortic annular calcification are highly associated with systemic calcified atherosclerosis,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 861–866, 2006.
- S. Kanjanauthai, K. Nasir, R. Katz et al., “Relationships of mitral annular calcification to cardiovascular risk factors: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA),” Atherosclerosis, vol. 213, no. 2, pp. 558–562, 2010.
- A. I. Corciu, V. Siciliano, E. Poggianti, C. Petersen, L. Venneri, and E. Picano, “Cardiac calcification by transthoracic echocardiography in patients with known or suspected coronary artery disease,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 288–295, 2010.
- D. S. Jeon, S. Atar, A. V. Brasch et al., “Association of mitral annulus calcification, aortic valve sclerosis and aortic root calcification with abnormal myocardial perfusion single photon emission tomography in subjects age ≤65 years old,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1988–1993, 2001.
- W. C. Roberts, “The senile cardiac calcification syndrome,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 572–574, 1986.
- Y. Zhang, M. E. Safar, P. Iaria et al., “Cardiac and arterial calcifications and all-cause mortality in the elderly: the PROTEGER study,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 213, no. 2, pp. 622–626, 2010.
- H. Volzke, R. Haring, R. Lorbeer et al., “Heart valve sclerosis predicts all-cause and cardiovascular mortality,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 209, no. 2, pp. 606–610, 2010.
- A. Jesri, L. E. Braitman, and G. S. Pressman, “Severe mitral annular calcification predicts chronic kidney disease,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 193–196, 2008.
- P. Raggi, A. Bellasi, C. Gamboa et al., “All-cause mortality in hemodialysis patients with heart valve calcification,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1990–1995, 2011.
- E. Aikawa, M. Aikawa, P. Libby et al., “Arterial and aortic valve calcification abolished by elastolytic cathepsin S deficiency in chronic renal disease,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 13, pp. 1785–1794, 2009.
- L. L. Demer and Y. Tintut, “Vascular calcification: pathobiology of a multifaceted disease,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 22, pp. 2938–2948, 2008.
- D. Torun, S. Sezer, M. Baltali et al., “Association of cardiac valve calcification and inflammation in patients on hemodialysis,” Renal Failure, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 221–226, 2005.
- J. R. Kizer, D. O. Wiebers, J. P. Whisnant et al., “Mitral annular calcification, aortic valve sclerosis, and incident stroke in adults free of clinical cardiovascular disease: the strong heart study,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 2533–2537, 2005.
- G. S. Pressman, A. Agarwal, L. E. Braitman, and S. M. Muddassir, “Mitral annular calcium causing mitral stenosis,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 389–391, 2010.
- T. Dietrich, M. Jimenez, E. A. Krall Kaye, P. S. Vokonas, and R. I. Garcia, “Age-dependent associations between chronic periodontitis/edentulism and risk of coronary heart disease,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 13, pp. 1668–1674, 2008.
- F. Cacciapuoti, N. Perrone, R. Diaspro, D. Galzerano, S. Gentile, and B. Lapiello, “Slowing of mitral valve annular calcium in systemic hypertension by nifedipine and comparisons with enalapril and atenolol,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 72, no. 14, pp. 1038–1042, 1993.