- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 857862, 7 pages
Spleen Stiffness Correlates with the Presence of Ascites but Not Esophageal Varices in Chronic Hepatitis C Patients
1Department of Gastroenterology, Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, 3-21-36 Asahi-cho, Maebashi, Gunma 371-0014, Japan
2Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3-39-22 Showa-machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371-8511, Japan
Received 7 May 2013; Revised 28 June 2013; Accepted 13 July 2013
Academic Editor: John N. Plevris
Copyright © 2013 Kazuyo Mori et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Bolognesi, C. Merkel, D. Sacerdoti, V. Nava, and A. Gatta, “Role of spleen enlargement in cirrhosis with portal hypertension,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 144–150, 2002.
- F. Vizzutti, U. Arena, R. G. Romanelli et al., “Liver stiffness measurement predicts severe portal hypertension in patients with HCV-related cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1290–1297, 2007.
- J. K. Lim and R. J. Groszmann, “Transient elastography for diagnosis of portal hypertension in liver cirrhosis: is there still a role for hepatic venous pressure gradient measurement?” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1087–1090, 2007.
- C. Bureau, S. Metivier, J. M. Peron et al., “Transient elastography accurately predicts presence of significant portal hypertension in patients with chronic liver disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1261–1268, 2008.
- F. Kazemi, A. Kettaneh, G. N'kontchou et al., “Liver stiffness measurement selects patients with cirrhosis at risk of bearing large oesophageal varices,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 230–235, 2006.
- Y. Takuma, K. Nouso, Y. Morimoto, et al., “Measurement of spleen stiffness by acoustic radiation force impulse imaging identifies cirrhotic patients with esophageal varices,” Gastroenterology, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 92–101, 2013.
- J. A. Talwalkar, M. Yin, S. Venkatesh et al., “Feasibility of in vivo MR elastographic splenic stiffness measurements in the assessment of portal hypertension,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 122–127, 2009.
- S. Bota, I. Sporea, R. Sirli et al., “Spleen assessment by Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Elastography (ARFI) for prediction of liver cirrhosis and portal hypertension,” Medical Ultrasonography, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 213–217, 2010.
- H. Stefanescu, M. Grigorescu, M. Lupsor, B. Procopet, A. Maniu, and R. Badea, “Spleen stiffness measurement using fibroscan for the noninvasive assessment of esophageal varices in liver cirrhosis patients,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 164–170, 2011.
- A. Colecchia, L. Montrone, E. Scaioli, et al., “Measurement of spleen stiffness to evaluate portal hypertension and the presence of esophageal varices in patients with HCV-related cirrhosis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 646–654, 2012.
- M. Lupsor, R. Badea, H. Stefanescu et al., “Performance of a new elastographic method (ARFI technology) compared to unidimensional transient elastography in the noninvasive assessment of chronic hepatitis C. Preliminary results,” Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 303–310, 2009.
- M. Friedrich-Rust, K. Wunder, S. Kriener et al., “Liver fibrosis in viral hepatitis: noninvasive assessment with acoustic radiation force impulse imaging versus transient elastography,” Radiology, vol. 252, no. 2, pp. 595–604, 2009.
- H. Takahashi, N. Ono, Y. Eguchi et al., “Evaluation of acoustic radiation force impulse elastography for fibrosis staging of chronic liver disease: a pilot study,” Liver International, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 538–545, 2010.
- A. S. F. Lok, M. G. Ghany, Z. D. Goodman et al., “Predicting cirrhosis in patients with hepatitis C based on standard laboratoiy tests: results of the HALT-C cohort,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 282–292, 2005.
- M. Yoneda, K. Suzuki, S. Kato et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: US-based acoustic radiation force impulse elastography,” Radiology, vol. 256, no. 2, pp. 640–647, 2010.
- L. Castéra, J. Foucher, P.-H. Bernard et al., “Pitfalls of liver stiffness measurement: a 5-year prospective study of 13,369 examinations,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 828–835, 2010.
- I. Sporea, R. Sirli, A. Popescu, and M. Danilǎ, “Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse (ARFI)—a new modality for the evaluation of liver fibrosis,” Medical Ultrasonography, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2010.
- J. Bosch, M. Navasa, J. C. Garcia-Pagan, A. M. Delacy, and J. Rodes, “Portal hypertension,” The Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 931–953, 1989.
- C. Merkel, A. Gatta, L. Arnaboldi, and R. Zuin, “Splenic haemodynamics and portal hypertension in patients with liver cirrhosis and spleen enlargement,” Clinical Physiology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 531–539, 1985.
- S. G. Sheth, D. N. Amarapurkar, K. B. Chopra, S. A. Mani, and P. J. Mehta, “Evaluation of splenomegaly in portal hypertension,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 28–30, 1996.
- S. H. Shah, P. C. Hayes, P. L. Allan, J. Nicoll, and N. D. Finlayson, “Measurement of spleen size and its relation to hypersplenism and portal hemodynamics in portal hypertension due to hepatic cirrhosis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 2580–2583, 1996.
- L. Kreel and R. Williams, “Arteriovenography of the portal system,” British Medical Journal, vol. 2, no. 5423, pp. 1500–1503, 1964.
- M. Pinzani, S. Milani, R. De Franco et al., “Endothelin 1 is overexpressed in human cirrhotic liver and exerts multiple effects on activated hepatic stellate cells,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 534–548, 1996.
- P. R. Gibson, R. N. Gibson, M. R. Ditchfield, and J. D. Donlan, “Splenomegaly—an insensitive sign of portal hypertension,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 771–774, 1990.