- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 858023, 5 pages
Predictors of Attrition in Patients Ineligible for Antiretroviral Therapy after Being Diagnosed with HIV: Data from an HIV Cohort Study in India
Department of Infectious Diseases, RDT Bathalapalli Hospital, Kadiri Road, Bathalapalli 515661, India
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 1 August 2013
Academic Editor: Laith Abu-Raddad
Copyright © 2013 Gerardo Alvarez-Uria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNAIDS, UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic, 2012.
- G. Alvarez-Uria, M. Midde, R. Pakam, S. Kannan, L. Bachu, and P. K. Naik, “Factors associated with late presentation of HIV and estimation of antiretroviral treatment need according to CD4 lymphocyte count in a resource-limited setting: data from an HIV cohort study in India,” Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases, vol. 2012, Article ID 293795, 7 pages, 2012.
- B. A. Larson, A. Brennan, L. McNamara et al., “Early loss to follow up after enrolment in pre-ART care at a large public clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 2010.
- R. J. Lessells, P. C. Mutevedzi, G. S. Cooke, and M.-L. Newell, “Retention in HIV care for individuals not yet eligible for antiretroviral therapy: rural kwazulu-natal, South Africa,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. e79–e86, 2011.
- K. Tayler-Smith, R. Zachariah, M. Massaquoi et al., “Unacceptable attrition among WHO stages 1 and 2 patients in a hospital-based setting in rural Malawi: can we retain such patients within the general health system?” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 313–319, 2010.
- S. Rosen and M. P. Fox, “Retention in HIV care between testing and treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 8, no. 7, Article ID e1001056, 2011.
- I. V. Bassett, B. Wang, S. Chetty et al., “Loss to care and death before antiretroviral therapy in Durban, South Africa,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 2009.
- M. W. G. Brinkhof, M. Pujades-Rodriguez, and M. Egger, “Mortality of patients lost to follow-up in antiretroviral treatment programmes in resource-limited settings: systematic review and meta-analysis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 6, Article ID e5790, 2009.
- National AIDS Control Organisation, “India HIV Estimates,” Tech. Rep., 2011.
- Office of The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, Census of India, India, 2011.
- G. Alvarez-Uria, M. Midde, R. Pakam, and P. K. Naik, “Gender differences, routes of transmission, socio-demographic characteristics and prevalence of HIV related infections of adults and children in an HIV cohort from a rural district of India,” Infectious Disease Reports, vol. 4, no. 1, p. e19, 2012.
- G. Alvarez-Uria, M. Midde, R. Pakam, L. Bachu, and P. K. Naik, “Effect of formula feeding and breastfeeding on child growth, infant mortality, and HIV transmission in children born to HIV-infected pregnant women who received triple antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited setting: data from an HIV cohort study in India,” ISRN Pediatr, vol. 2012, Article ID 763591, 2012.
- National AIDS Control Organisation, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare Government of India: Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines For HIV Infected Adults and Adolescents Including Post-Exposure, 2007.
- Panos, Antiretroviral Drugs For All? Obstacles in Accessing Treatment Lessons From India, 2007.
- WHO, Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents, 2006.
- M. P. Fox, B. Larson, and S. Rosen, “Defining retention and attrition in pre-antiretroviral HIV care: proposals based on experience in Africa,” Tropical Medicine & International Health, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1235–1244, 2012.
- G. Alvarez-Uria, M. Midde, and P. K. Naik, “Socio-demographic risk factors associated with HIV infection in patients seeking medical advice in a rural hospital of India,” The Journal of Public Health Research, vol. 1, p. e14, 2012.
- P. Royston, “Multiple imputation of missing values: further update of ice, with an emphasis on categorical variables,” Stata Journal, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 466–477, 2009.
- G. Zou, “A modified poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 159, no. 7, pp. 702–706, 2004.
- V. Coviello and M. Boggess, “Cumulative incidence estimation in the presence of competing risks,” Stata Journal, vol. 4, pp. 103–112, 2004.
- M. A. Cleves, W. W. Gould, and R. G. Gutierrez, An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata, Stata Corp, 2008.
- C. Mugglin, J. Estill, G. Wandeler et al., “Loss to programme between HIV diagnosis and initiation of antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Tropical Medicine & International Health, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1509–1520, 2012.
- P. K. Kohler, M. H. Chung, C. J. McGrath, S. F. Benki-Nugent, J. W. Thiga, and G. C. John-Stewart, “Implementation of free cotrimoxazole prophylaxis improves clinic retention among antiretroviral therapy-ineligible clients in Kenya,” AIDS, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 1657–1661, 2011.
- E. Vigneshwaran, Y. Padmanabhareddy, N. Devanna, and G. Alvarez Uria, “Gender differences in health related quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy,” North American Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 102–107, 2013.