- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 861213, 7 pages
Association between Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma Control in Peruvian School Children: A Cross-Sectional Study
1Instituto Nacional de Salud del Niño and Universidad San Martin de Porres, Lima, Peru
2Universidad San Martin de Porres, Lima, Peru
3Instituto Nacional de Salud del Niño and Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
4Instituto Nacional de Salud del Niño, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia and Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 2 July 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editor: Fulvio Braido
Copyright © 2013 Justo Padilla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Bousquet, P. J. Bousquet, P. Godard, and J.-P. Daures, “The public health implications of asthma,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 548–554, 2005.
- M. I. Asher, S. Montefort, B. Björkstén et al., “Worldwide time trends in the prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema in childhood: ISAAC phases one and three repeat multicountry cross-sectional surveys,” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9537, pp. 733–743, 2006.
- M. E. Penny, S. Murad, S. S. Madrid et al., “Respiratory symptoms, asthma, exercise test spirometry, and atopy in schoolchildren from a Lima shanty town,” Thorax, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 607–612, 2001.
- J. L. Broek, J. Bousquet, C. E. Baena-Cagnani et al., “Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) guidelines: 2010 revision,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 466–476, 2010.
- A. A. Cruz, T. Popov, R. Pawankar et al., “Common characteristics of upper and lower airways in rhinitis and asthma: ARIA update, in collaboration with GA2LEN,” Allergy, vol. 62, no. 84, pp. 1–41, 2007.
- B. Leynaert, C. Neukirch, S. Kony et al., “Association between asthma and rhinitis according to atopic sensitization in a population-based study,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 86–93, 2004.
- R. Shaaban, M. Zureik, D. Soussan et al., “Rhinitis and onset of asthma: a longitudinal population-based study,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9643, pp. 1049–1057, 2008.
- L. Van Den Nieuwenhof, T. Schermer, Y. Bosch et al., “Is physician-diagnosed allergic rhinitis a risk factor for the development of asthma?” Allergy, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1049–1055, 2010.
- D. Caimmi, A. Marseglia, G. Pieri, S. Benzo, L. Bosa, and S. Caimmi, “Nose and lungs: one way, one disease,” Italian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 38, p. 60, 2012.
- Global Initiative for Asthma, GINA Report, Global Strategy For Asthma Management and Prevention, 2012, http://www.ginasthma.org/.
- P. M. Gustafsson, L. Watson, K. J. Davis, and K. F. Rabe, “Poor asthma control in children: evidence from epidemiological surveys and implications for clinical practice,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 321–334, 2006.
- E. V. Ponte, R. Franco, H. F. Nascimento et al., “Lack of control of severe asthma is associated with co-existence of moderate-to-severe rhinitis,” Allergy, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 564–569, 2008.
- J. Bousquet, S. Gaugris, V. S. Kocevar et al., “Increased risk of asthma attacks and emergency visits among asthma patients with allergic rhinitis: a subgroup analysis of the improving asthma control trial,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 723–727, 2005.
- E. P. de Groot, A. Nijkamp, E. J. Duiverman, and P. L. P. Brand, “Allergic rhinitis is associated with poor asthma control in children with asthma,” Thorax, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 582–587, 2012.
- S. S. De Magalhães, S. S. da Cunha, A. A. Cruz, et al., “A community study of factors related to poorly controlled asthma among Brazilian urban children,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 5, Article ID e37050, 2012.
- R. Chiron, I. Vachier, G. Khanbabaee et al., “Impact of rhinitis on asthma control in children: association with FeNO,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 604–608, 2010.
- O. Vandenplas, M. Dramaix, G. Joos et al., “The impact of concomitant rhinitis on asthma-related quality of life and asthma control,” Allergy, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1290–1297, 2010.
- J. E. Pérez Lu, S. T. Sialer Chávez, L. Díaz Ledesma, J. A. Centeno Huamán, P. R. Chiarella Ortigosa, and L. E. Pérez, “Correlación entre severidad de asma y rinitis alérgica en niños de Lima (GINA-ARIA),” Cirugia Plastica Facial y Otorrinolaringologo, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 2005.
- J. E. Pérez-Lu, J. C. Huamán, P. R. C. Ortigosa, L. E. Pérez-Lu, and M. G. Jaramillo, “Características de niños asmáticos con rinitis en el Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia,” Diagnóstico Perú, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 65–70, 2004.
- M. L. Levy, M. Fletcher, D. B. Price, T. Hausen, R. J. Halbert, and B. P. Yawn, “International primary care respiratory group (IPCRG) guidelines: diagnosis of respiratory diseases in primary care,” Primary Care Respiratory Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 20–34, 2006.
- J. Bousquet, J. Reid, C. Van Weel et al., “Allergic rhinitis management pocket reference 2008,” Allergy, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 990–996, 2008.
- M. Schatz, C. A. Sorkness, J. T. Li et al., “Asthma control test: reliability, validity, and responsiveness in patients not previously followed by asthma specialists,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 549–556, 2006.
- R. A. Nathan, C. A. Sorkness, M. Kosinski et al., “Development of the asthma control test: a survey for assessing asthma control,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2004.
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática. Encuesta Demográfica y de Salud Familiar-ENDES Continua 2010. Informe principal. Lima, Perú: Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática; 2011 May.
- V. M. Kinchoku, I. S. Oliveira, L. A. Watanabe et al., “Factors associated with asthma control in a pediatric reference center,” Revista Paulista de Pediatria, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 591–598, 2011.
- M. T. Halpern, J. K. Schmier, R. Richner, C. Guo, and A. Togias, “Allergic rhinitis: a potential cause of increased asthma medication use, costs, and morbidity,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 117–126, 2004.
- H. V. Brandão, C. S. Cruz, M. C. Pinheiro et al., “Risk factors for ER visits due to asthma exacerbations in patients enrolled in a program for the control of asthma and allergic rhinitis in Feira de Santana, Brazil,” Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1168–1173, 2009.
- L. M. P. Pereira, J. Jackman, N. Figaro et al., “Health burden of co-morbid asthma and allergic rhinitis in West Indian children,” Allergologia et Immunopathologia, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 129–134, 2010.
- M. Thomas, V. S. Kocevar, Q. Zhang, D. D. Yin, and D. Price, “Asthma-related health care resource use among asthmatic children with and without concomitant allergic rhinitis,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 129–134, 2005.
- H. V. Brandão, C. M. S. Cruz, I. D. S. Santos Jr., E. V. Ponte, A. Guimarães, and A. Augusto Filho, “Hospitalizations for asthma: impact of a program for the control of asthma and allergic rhinitis in Feira de Santana, Brazil,” Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 723–729, 2009.
- A. B. Taegtmeyer, C. Steurer-Stey, F. Spertini et al., “Allergic rhinitis in patients with asthma: the swiss LARA (Link Allergic Rhinitis in Asthma) survey,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1073–1080, 2009.
- H. Neffen, C. Fritscher, F. C. Schacht et al., “Asthma control in latin America: the asthma insights and reality in latin America (AIRLA) survey,” Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 191–197, 2005.
- K. Ohta, P.-J. Bousquet, H. Aizawa et al., “Prevalence and impact of rhinitis in asthma. SACRA, a cross-sectional nation-wide study in Japan,” Allergy, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1287–1295, 2011.
- S. Hamouda, C. Karila, T. Connault, P. Scheinmann, and J. De Blic, “Allergic rhinitis in children with asthma: a questionnaire-based study,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 761–766, 2008.
- B. Leynaert, F. Neukirch, P. Demoly, and J. Bousquet, “Epidemiologic evidence for asthma and rhinitis comorbidity,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 106, supplement 5, pp. S201–S205, 2000.
- P. A. M. Camargos, M. E. S. Rodrigues, D. Solé, and P. Scheinmann, “Asma e rinite alérgica como expressão de uma única doença: um paradigma em construção,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 78, pp. 123–128, 2002.
- M. D. F. G. de Luna, P. C. de Almeida, and M. G. C. da Silva, “Asthma and rhinitis prevalence and co-morbidity in 13-14-year-old schoolchildren in the city of Fortaleza, Ceará State, Brazil,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 103–112, 2011.
- F. S. J. Venero, P. P. Varona, O. D. Fabret, M. R. Suárez, G. M. Bonet, E. E. Molina, et al., “Asma bronquial y rinitis en escolares de Ciudad de La Habana (2001 a 2002),” Revista Cubana de Higiene y Epidemiología, vol. 47, no. 1, 2009.
- J. E. P. Lu, J. C. Huamán, P. R. C. Ortigosa, L. E. P. Lu, and S. T. S. Chávez, “Prevalencia de rinitis alérgica en pacientes pediátricos que acuden al servicio de emergencia del Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia por crisis de asma,” Revista Medica Herediana, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 111–116, 2003.
- A. J. D. Barros and V. N. Hirakata, “Alternatives for logistic regression in cross-sectional studies: an empirical comparison of models that directly estimate the prevalence ratio,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 3, article 1, pp. 1–13, 2003.
- M. L. Thompson, J. E. Myers, and D. Kriebel, “Prevalence odds ratio or prevalence ratio in the analysis of cross sectional data: what is to be done?” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 272–277, 1998.
- A. Barraza-Villarreal, L. H. Sanín-Aguirre, M. M. Téllez-Rojo, M. Lacasaña-Navarro, and I. Romieu, “Prevalencia de asma y otras enfermedades alérgicas en niños escolares de Ciudad Juárez,” Salud Pública de México, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 433–443, 2001.
- R. J. Dennis, L. Caraballo, E. García, M. X. Rojas, M. A. Rondon, A. Pérez, et al., “Prevalence of asthma and other allergic conditions in Colombia 2009-2010: a cross-sectional study,” BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, p. 17.
- D. Solé, G. F. Wandalsen, I. C. Camelo-Nunes et al., “Prevalence of symptoms of asthma, rhinitis, and atopic eczema among Brazilian children and adolescents identified by the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC)—phase 3,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 341–346, 2006.
- M. I. Tatto-Cano, L. H. Sanín-Aguirre, V. González, S. Ruiz-Velasco, and I. Romieu, “Prevalence of asthma, rhinitis and eczema in schoolchildren from Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico,” Salud Publica de Mexico, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 497–506, 1997.