- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 861460, 18 pages
Expression of Pluripotency and Oocyte-Related Genes in Single Putative Stem Cells from Human Adult Ovarian Surface Epithelium Cultured In Vitro in the Presence of Follicular Fluid
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Slajmerjeva 3, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
3TATAA Biocenter AB, Odinsgatan 28, 41103 Göteborg, Sweden
4Institute of Biotechnology AS CR, Lb Building, 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Received 30 October 2012; Accepted 24 December 2012
Academic Editor: Deepa Bhartiya
Copyright © 2013 Irma Virant-Klun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Hübner, G. Fuhrmann, L. K. Christenson et al., “Derivation of oocytes from mouse embryonic stem cells,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5623, pp. 1251–1256, 2003.
- A. T. Clark, M. S. Bodnar, M. Fox et al., “Spontaneous differentiation of germ cells from human embryonic stem cells in vitro,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 727–739, 2004.
- O. Lacham-Kaplan, H. Chy, and A. Trounson, “Testicular cell conditioned medium supports differentiation of embryonic stem cells into ovarian structures containing oocytes,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 266–273, 2006.
- I. Novak, D. A. Lightfoot, H. Wang, A. Eriksson, E. Mahdy, and C. Höög, “Mouse embryonic stem cells form follicle-like ovarian structures but do not progress through meiosis,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1931–1936, 2006.
- C. R. Nicholas, K. M. Haston, A. K. Grewall, T. A. Longacre, and R. A. Reijo Pera, “Transplantation directs oocyte maturation from embryonic stem cells and provides a therapeutic strategy for female infertility,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 4376–4389, 2009.
- K. Zou, Z. Yuan, Z. Yang et al., “Production of offspring from a germline stem cell line derived from neonatal ovaries,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 631–636, 2009.
- G. B. Zhou, Q. G. Meng, and N. Li, “In vitro derivation of germ cells from embryonic stem cells in mammals,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 586–594, 2010.
- O. E. Psathaki, K. Hübner, D. Sabour, et al., “Ultrastructural characterization of mouse embryonic stem cell-derived oocytes and granulosa cells,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2205–2215, 2011.
- M. Richards, C. Y. Fong, and A. Bongso, “Comparative evaluation of different in vitro systems that stimulate germ cell differentiation in human embryonic stem cells,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 986–994, 2010.
- F. D. West, M. I. Roche-Rios, S. Abraham et al., “KIT ligand and bone morphogenetic protein signaling enhances human embryonic stem cell to germ-like cell differentiation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 168–178, 2010.
- J. V. Medrano, C. Ramathal, H. N. Nguyen, C. Simon, and R. A. Reijo Pera, “Divergent RNA-binding proteins, DAZL and VASA, induce meiotic progression in human germ cells derived in vitro,” Stem Cells, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 441–451, 2012.
- X. Cheng, S. Chen, X. Yu, P. Zheng, and H. Wang, “BMP15 gene is activated during human amniotic fluid stem cell differentiation into oocyte-like cells,” DNA and Cell Biology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1198–1204, 2012.
- P. W. Dyce, L. Wen, and J. Li, “In vitro germline potential of stem cells derived from fetal porcine skin,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 384–390, 2006.
- P. W. Dyce, W. Shen, E. Huynh et al., “Analysis of oocyte-like cells differentiated from porcine fetal skin-derived stem cells,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 809–819, 2011.
- S. Danner, J. Kajahn, C. Geismann, E. Klink, and C. Kruse, “Derivation of oocyte-like cells from a clonal pancreatic stem cell line,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2007.
- S. P. Gong, S. T. Lee, E. J. Lee et al., “Embryonic stem cell-like cells established by culture of adult ovarian cells in mice,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 2594–2601, 2010.
- J. Pacchiarotti, C. Maki, T. Ramos et al., “Differentiation potential of germ line stem cells derived from the postnatal mouse ovary,” Differentiation, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 159–170, 2010.
- A. Bukovsky, M. Svetlikova, and M. R. Caudle, “Oogenesis in cultures derived from adult human ovaries,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 3, p. 17, 2005.
- I. Virant-Klun, N. Zech, P. Rozman et al., “Putative stem cells with an embryonic character isolated from the ovarian surface epithelium of women with no naturally present follicles and oocytes,” Differentiation, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 843–856, 2008.
- I. Virant-Klun, P. Rožman, B. Cvjeticanin et al., “Parthenogenetic embryo-like structures in the human ovarian surface epithelium cell culture in postmenopausal women with no naturally present follicles and oocytes,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 137–150, 2009.
- I. Virant-Klun, T. Skutella, M. Stimpfel, and J. Sinkovec, “Ovarian surface epithelium in patients with severe ovarian infertility: a potential source of cells expressing markers of pluripotent/multipotent stem cells,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 381928, 2011.
- S. Parte, D. Bhartiya, J. Telang, et al., “Detection, characterization, and spontaneous differentiation in vitro of very small embryonic-like putative stem cells in adult mammalian ovary,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 80, pp. 1451–1464, 2011.
- Y. A. White, D. C. Woods, Y. Takai, O. Ishihara, H. Seki, and J. L. Tilly, “Oocyte formation by mitotically active germ cells purified from ovaries of reproductive-age women,” Nature Medicine, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 413–421, 2012.
- D. Goswami and G. S. Conway, “Premature ovarian failure,” Hormone Research, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 196–202, 2007.
- Y. Berthois, J. A. Katzenellenbogen, and B. S. Katzenellenbogen, “Phenol red in tissue culture media is a weak estrogen: implications concerning the study of estrogen-responsive cells in culture,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 2496–2500, 1986.
- M. Bengtsson, A. Ståhlberg, P. Rorsman, and M. Kubista, “Gene expression profiling in single cells from the pancreatic islets of Langerhans reveals lognormal distribution of mRNA levels,” Genome Research, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1388–1392, 2005.
- A. Raj, C. S. Peskin, D. Tranchina, D. Y. Vargas, and S. Tyagi, “Stochastic mRNA synthesis in mammalian cells,” PLoS Biology, vol. 4, no. 10, p. e309, 2006.
- A. Ståhlberg, D. Andersson, J. Aurelius et al., “Defining cell populations with single-cell gene expression profiling: correlations and identification of astrocyte subpopulations,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 4, p. e24, 2011.
- A. Bergkvist, V. Rusnakova, R. Sindelka et al., “Gene expression profiling-clusters of possibilities,” Methods, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 323–335, 2010.
- I. J. Duijkers, W. N. Willemsen, H. M. Hollanders, C. J. Hamilton, C. M. Thomas, and H. M. Vemer, “Follicular fluid hormone concentrations after ovarian stimulation using gonadotropin preparations with different FSH/LH ratios. II. Comparison of hMG and recombinant FSH,” International Journal of Fertility and Women's Medicine, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 431–435, 1997.
- A. Velazquez, A. Reyes, J. Chargoy, and A. Rosado, “Amino acid and protein concentrations of human follicular fluid,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 96–100, 1977.
- E. V. Bokal, K. F. Tacer, M. Vrbnjak et al., “Follicular sterol composition in gonadotrophin stimulated women with polycystic ovarian syndrome,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 249, no. 1-2, pp. 92–98, 2006.
- J. Smitz, H. M. Picton, P. Platteau et al., “Principal findings from a multicenter trial investigating the safety of follicular-fluid meiosis-activating sterol for in vitro maturation of human cumulus-enclosed oocytes,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 949–964, 2007.
- U. Ulug, E. Turan, S. B. Tosun, H. F. Erden, and M. Bahceci, “Comparison of preovulatory follicular concentrations of epidermal growth factor, insulin-like growth factor-I, and inhibins A and B in women undergoing assisted conception treatment with gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists and GnRH antagonists,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 995–998, 2007.
- L. K. Doyle and F. X. Donadeu, “Regulation of the proliferative activity of ovarian surface epithelial cells by follicular fluid,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 443–448, 2009.
- J. Tesarik and C. Mendoza, “Nongenomic effects of 17β-estradiol on maturing human oocytes: relationship to oocyte developmental potential,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 1438–1443, 1995.
- L. O. Costa, M. C. Mendes, R. A. Ferriani, M. D. Moura, R. M. Reis, and M. F. Silva de Sá, “Estradiol and testosterone concentrations in follicular fluid as criteria to discriminate between mature and immature oocytes,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1747–1755, 2004.
- K. Tsuji, M. Sowa, and R. Nakano, “Relationship among the status of the human oocyte, the 17β-estradiol concentration in the antral fluid and the follicular size,” Endocrinologia Japonica, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 251–254, 1983.
- R. S. Carson, A. O. Trounson, and J. K. Findlay, “Successful fertilisation of human oocytes in vitro: concentration of estradiol-17β, progesterone and androstenedione in the antral fluid of donor follicles,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 798–800, 1982.
- J. S. Kim, B. S. Song, S. R. Lee et al., “Supplementation with estradiol-17β improves porcine oocyte maturation and subsequent embryo development,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 2582–2584, 2011.
- B. Siriaroonrat, P. Comizzoli, N. Songsasen, S. L. Monfort, D. E. Wildt, and B. S. Pukazhenthi, “Oocyte quality and estradiol supplementation affect in vitro maturation success in the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus),” Theriogenology, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 112–119, 2010.
- P. Zheng, W. Si, B. D. Bavister, J. Yang, C. Ding, and W. Ji, “17β-Estradiol and progesterone improve in-vitro cytoplasmic maturation of oocytes from unstimulated prepubertal and adult rhesus monkeys,” Human Reproduction, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 2137–2144, 2003.
- R. Garcia-Cruz, M. A. Brieño, I. Roig et al., “Dynamics of cohesin proteins REC8, STAG3, SMC1β and SMC3 are consistent with a role in sister chromatid cohesion during meiosis in human oocytes,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2316–2327, 2010.
- W. Chen, W. Jia, K. Wang, et al., “Retinoic acid regulates germ cell differentiation in mouse embryonic stem cells through a Smad-dependent pathway,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 418, no. 3, pp. 571–577, 2012.