- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 872940, 8 pages
Green and Rapid Synthesis of Anticancerous Silver Nanoparticles by Saccharomyces boulardii and Insight into Mechanism of Nanoparticle Synthesis
1Department of Pharmaceutical Technology (Biotechnology), National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Sector-67, SAS Nagar, Punjab 160062, India
2Centre for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Sector-67, SAS Nagar, Punjab 160062, India
Received 28 April 2013; Accepted 3 October 2013
Academic Editor: Maria Alice Zarur Coelho
Copyright © 2013 Abhishek Kaler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Kowlgi, U. Lafont, M. Rappolt, and G. Koper, “Uniform metal nanoparticles produced at high yield in dense microemulsions,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 372, no. 1, pp. 16–23, 2012.
- K. N. Thakkar, S. S. Mhatre, and R. Y. Parikh, “Biological synthesis of metallic nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 257–262, 2010.
- I. Sondi and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- P. L. Nadworny, J. Wang, E. E. Tredget, and R. E. Burrell, “Anti-inflammatory activity of nanocrystalline silver in a porcine contact dermatitis model,” Nanomedicine, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 241–251, 2008.
- T. Klaus-Joerger, R. Joerger, E. Olsson, and C. Granqvist, “Bacteria as workers in the living factory: metal-accumulating bacteria and their potential for materials science,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2001.
- S. Schultz, D. R. Smith, J. J. Mock, and D. A. Schultz, “Single-target molecule detection with nonbleaching multicolor optical immunolabels,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 996–1001, 2000.
- S. Xu, X. Ji, W. Xu et al., “Immunoassay using probe-labelling immunogold nanoparticles with silver staining enhancement via surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Analyst, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2004.
- P. Gopinath, S. K. Gogoi, P. Sanpui, A. Paul, A. Chattopadhyay, and S. S. Ghosh, “Signaling gene cascade in silver nanoparticle induced apoptosis,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 240–245, 2010.
- T. Klaus, R. Joerger, E. Olsson, and C. Granqvist, “Silver-based crystalline nanoparticles, microbially fabricated,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 24, pp. 13611–13614, 1999.
- B. Nair and T. Pradeep, “Coalescence of nanoclusters and formation of submicron crystallites assisted by lactobacillus strains,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 293–298, 2002.
- M. Kowshik, N. Deshmukh, W. Vogel, J. Urban, S. K. Kulkarni, and K. M. Paknikar, “Microbial synthesis of semiconductor CdS nanoparticles, their characterization, and their use in the fabrication of an ideal diode,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 583–588, 2002.
- A. Ahmad, P. Mukherjee, S. Senapati et al., “Extracellular biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using the fungus Fusarium oxysporum,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 313–318, 2003.
- D. P. Gately and S. B. Howell, “Cellular accumulation of the anticancer agent cisplatin: a review,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1171–1176, 1993.
- A. De Vizcaya-Ruiz, A. Rivero-Muller, L. Ruiz-Ramirez et al., “Induction of apoptosis by a novel copper-based anticancer compound, casiopeina II, in L1210 murine leukaemia and CH1 human ovarian carcinoma cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2000.
- M. P. Rayman, “Selenium in cancer prevention: a review of the evidence and mechanism of action,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 527–542, 2005.
- S. Han, C. Auger, V. P. Appanna et al., “A blue native polyacrylamide gel electrophoretic technology to probe the functional proteomics mediating nitrogen homeostasis in Pseudomonas fluorescens,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 206–210, 2012.
- P. Skehan, R. Storeng, D. Scudiero et al., “New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer-drug screening,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 82, no. 13, pp. 1107–1112, 1990.
- N. S. Shaligram, M. Bule, R. Bhambure et al., “Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using aqueous extract from the compactin producing fungal strain,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 939–943, 2009.
- A. Gole, C. Dash, V. Ramakrishnan et al., “Pepsin-gold colloid conjugates: preparation, characterization, and enzymatic activity,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1674–1679, 2001.
- S. Mandal, S. Phadtare, and M. Sastry, “Interfacing biology with nanoparticles,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 118–127, 2005.
- K. Kalimuthu, R. Suresh Babu, D. Venkataraman, M. Bilal, and S. Gurunathan, “Biosynthesis of silver nanocrystals by Bacillus licheniformis,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 150–153, 2008.
- N. Durán, P. D. Marcato, O. L. Alves, G. I. H. De Souza, and E. Esposito, “Mechanistic aspects of biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by several Fusarium oxysporum strains,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 3, pp. 8–14, 2005.
- D. S. Balaji, S. Basavaraja, R. Deshpande, D. B. Mahesh, B. K. Prabhakar, and A. Venkataraman, “Extracellular biosynthesis of functionalized silver nanoparticles by strains of Cladosporium cladosporioides fungus,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 88–92, 2009.
- M. Gericke and A. Pinches, “Biological synthesis of metal nanoparticles,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 83, no. 1–4, pp. 132–140, 2006.
- C. Blanco-Andujar, D. Ortega, Q. A. Pankhurstab, and N. T. K. Thanh, “Elucidating the morphological and structural evolution of iron oxide nanoparticles formed by sodium carbonate in aqueous medium,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 12498–12506, 2012.
- N. Vigneshwaran, A. A. Kathe, P. V. Varadarajan, R. P. Nachane, and R. H. Balasubramanya, “Biomimetics of silver nanoparticles by white rot fungus, Phaenero-chaete chrysosporium,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2006.
- M. F. Lengke, M. E. Fleet, and G. Southam, “Morphology of gold nanoparticles synthesized by filamentous cyanobacteria from gold(I)-Thiosulfate and gold(III)-chloride complexes,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 2780–2787, 2006.
- J. F. Carpenter, S. J. Prestrelski, and A. Dong, “Application of infrared spectroscopy to development of stable lyophilized protein formulations,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 231–238, 1998.
- D. R. Lovley, J. F. Stolz, G. L. Nord Jr., and E. J. P. Phillips, “Anaerobic production of magnetite by a dissimilatory iron-reducing microorganism,” Nature, vol. 330, no. 6145, pp. 252–254, 1987.
- S. Mann, “Molecular tectonics in biomineralization and biomimetic materials chemistry,” Nature, vol. 365, no. 6446, pp. 499–505, 1993.
- D. Pum and U. B. Sleytr, “The application of bacterial S-layers in molecular nanotechnology,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 8–12, 1999.
- T. J. Beveridge and R. G. E. Murray, “Sites of metal deposition in the cell wall of Bacillus subtilis,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 876–887, 1980.