- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 875048, 9 pages
Performance of Glutamate Dehydrogenase and Triose Phosphate Isomerase Genes in the Analysis of Genotypic Variability of Isolates of Giardia duodenalis from Livestocks
1Laboratório de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, 1720 Avenida Pará, Umuarama Campus, 38400-902 Uberlândia, MG, Brazil
2Departamento de Veterinária Preventiva e Saúde Animal, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Prof. Dr. Orlando Marques de Paiva, 87-Cidade Universitária, 05508-270 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Laboratório de Biotecnologia e Marcadores Moleculares, Departamento de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de MG, 6627 Avenida Antônio Carlos, Pampulha Campus, 31270-901, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
4Médico Veterinário—Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, 1720 Avenida Pará, Umuarama Campus, 38400-902 Uberlândia, MG, Brazil
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 13 August 2013; Accepted 31 August 2013
Academic Editor: Jacques Cabaret
Copyright © 2013 Natália M. N. Fava et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Veronesi, F. Passamonti, S. Cacciò, M. Diaferia, and D. Piergili Fioretti, “Epidemiological survey on equine Cryptosporidium and Giardia infections in Italy and molecular characterization of isolates,” Zoonoses and Public Health, vol. 57, no. 7-8, pp. 510–517, 2010.
- P. T. Monis and R. C. A. Thompson, “Cryptosporidium and Giardia-zoonoses: fact or fiction?” Infection Genetics and Evolution, vol. 3, pp. 233–244, 2003.
- W. L. Homan, F. H. J. van Enckevort, L. Limper et al., “Comparison of Giardia isolates from different laboratories by isoenzyme analysis and recombinant DNA probes,” Parasitology Research, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 316–323, 1992.
- P. Ey, M. Mansouri, J. Kulda et al., “Genetic analysis of Giardia from hoofed farm animals reveals artiodactyl-specific and potentially zoonotic genotypes,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 626–635, 1997.
- E. Lasek-Nesselquist, D. M. Welch, and M. L. Sogin, “The identification of a new Giardia duodenalis assemblage in marine vertebrates and a preliminary analysis of G. duodenalis population biology in marine systems,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1063–1074, 2010.
- F. Yaoyu and L. Xiao, “Zoonotic potential and molecular epidemiology of Giardia species and giardiasis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 110–140, 2011.
- I. M. Sulaiman, R. Fayer, C. Bern et al., “Triosephosphate isomerase gene characterization and potential zoonotic transmission of Giardia duodenalis,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1444–1452, 2003.
- S. M. Cacciò, R. Beck, M. Lalle, A. Marinculic, and E. Pozio, “Multilocus genotyping of Giardia duodenalis reveals striking differences between assemblages A and B,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 38, no. 13, pp. 1523–1531, 2008.
- R. M. O'Handley, M. E. Olson, D. Fraser, P. Adams, and R. C. A. Thompson, “Prevalence and genotypic characterisation of Giardia in dairy calves from Western Australia and Western Canada,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 193–200, 2000.
- H. van Keulen, P. T. Macechko, S. Wade, S. Schaaf, P. M. Wallis, and S. L. Erlandsen, “Presence of human Giardia in domestic, farm and wild animals, and environmental samples suggests a zoonotic potential for Giardiasis,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 97–107, 2002.
- A. J. Appelbee, L. M. Frederick, T. L. Heitman, and M. E. Olson, “Prevalence and genotyping of Giardia duodenalis from beef calves in Alberta, Canada,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 289–294, 2003.
- A. Giangaspero, B. Paoletti, R. Iorio, and D. Traversa, “Prevalence and molecular characterization of Giardia duodenalis from sheep in central Italy,” Parasitology Research, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2005.
- F. Aloisio, G. Filippini, P. Antenucci et al., “Severe weight loss in lambs infected with Giardia duodenalis assemblage B,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 142, no. 1-2, pp. 154–158, 2006.
- E. C. Faust, W. Sawitz, J. Tobie, et al., “Comparative efficiency of various technics for the diagnosis of protozoan and helminthes in feces,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 25, pp. 241–262, 1938.
- J. Sambrook, E. F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1989.
- J. A. Castro-Hermida, A. Almeid, M. González-Warleta, J. M. Correia Da Costa, and M. Mezo, “Prevalence and preliminary genetic analysis of Giardia isolated from adult sheep in Galicia (Northwest Spain),” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 172–173, 2006.
- T. Gelanew, M. Lalle, A. Hailu, E. Pozio, and S. M. Cacciò, “Molecular characterization of human isolates of Giardia duodenalis from Ethiopia,” Acta Tropica, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 92–99, 2007.
- M. T. Gómez-Muñoz, C. Cámara-Badenes, M. C. Martínez-Herrero, et al., “Multilocus genotyping of Giardia duodenalis in lambs from Spain reveals a high heterogeneity,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 836–842, 2012.
- C. S. Palmer, R. J. Traub, I. D. Robertson, G. Devlin, R. Rees, and R. C. A. Thompson, “Determining the zoonotic significance of Giardia and Cryptosporidium in Australian dogs and cats,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 142–147, 2008.
- J. Thompson, R. Yang, M. Power et al., “Identification of zoonotic Giardia genotypes in marsupials in Australia,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 88–93, 2008.
- S. M. Cacciò and U. Ryan, “Molecular epidemiology of giardiasis,” Molecular & Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 75–80, 2008.
- S. Leonhard, K. Pfister, P. Beelitz, C. Wielinga, and R. C. A. Thompson, “The molecular characterisation of Giardia from dogs in Southern Germany,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 150, no. 1-2, pp. 33–38, 2007.
- M. Lebbad, I. Petersson, L. Karlsson et al., “Multilocus genotyping of human giardia isolates suggests limited zoonotic transmission and association between assemblage B and flatulence in children,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 5, no. 8, article e1262, 2011.
- R. E. Huetink, J. W. van der Giessen, J. P. Noordhuizen, and H. W. Ploeger, “Epidemiology of Cryptosporidium spp. and Giardia duodenalis on a dairy farm,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 102, no. 1-2, pp. 53–67, 2001.
- J. M. Trout, M. Santín, E. Greiner, and R. Fayer, “Prevalence of Giardia duodenalis genotypes in pre-weaned dairy calves,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 124, no. 3-4, pp. 179–186, 2004.
- S. L. P. Souza, S. M. Gennari, L. J. Richtzenhain et al., “Molecular identification of Giardia duodenalis isolates from humans, dogs, cats and cattle from the state of São Paulo, Brazil, by sequence analysis of fragments of glutamate dehydrogenase (gdh) coding gene,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 149, no. 3-4, pp. 258–264, 2007.
- Y. Feng, Y. Ortega, V. Cama, J. Terrell, and L. Xiao, “High intragenotypic diversity of Giardia duodenalis in dairy cattle on three farms,” Parasitology Research, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2008.
- M. Santín, J. M. Trout, and R. Fayer, “A longitudinal study of Giardia duodenalis genotypes in dairy cows from birth to 2 years of age,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 162, no. 1-2, pp. 40–45, 2009.
- C. M. Read, P. T. Monis, and R. C. Thompson, “Discrimination of all genotypes of Giardia duodenalis at the glutamate dehydrogenase locus using PCR-RFLP,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2004.
- C. M. Wielinga and R. C. A. Thompson, “Comparative evaluation of Giardia duodenalis sequence data,” Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 12, pp. 1795–1821, 2007.
- R. B. Langkjær, H. Vigre, H. L. Enemark, and C. Maddox-Hyttel, “Molecular and phylogenetic characterization of Cryptosporidium and Giardia from pigs and cattle in Denmark,” Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 339–350, 2007.
- H. Sprong, S. M. Cacciò, and J. W. B. van der Giessen, “Identification of zoonotic genotypes of Giardia duodenalis,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 3, no. 12, article e558, 2009.
- U. M. Ryan, C. Bath, I. Robertson et al., “Sheep may not be an important zoonotic reservoir for Cryptosporidium and Giardia parasites,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 4992–4997, 2005.
- A. Ruiz, P. Foronda, J. F. González et al., “Occurrence and genotype characterization of Giardia duodenalis in goat kids from the Canary Islands, Spain,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 137–141, 2008.
- R. Yang, C. Jacobson, C. Gordon, and U. Ryan, “Prevalence and molecular characterisation of Cryptosporidium and Giardia species in pre-weaned sheep in Australia,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 161, no. 1-2, pp. 19–24, 2009.
- B. Levecke, P. Geldhof, E. Claerebout et al., “Molecular characterisation of Giardia duodenalis in captive non-human primates reveals mixed assemblage A and B infections and novel polymorphisms,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 39, no. 14, pp. 1595–1601, 2009.
- A. Almeida, E. Pozio, and S. M. Cacciò, “Genotyping of Giardia duodenalis cysts by new real-time PCR assays for detection of mixed infections in human samples,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 1895–1901, 2010.
- M. Lalle, F. Bruschi, B. Castagna, M. Campa, E. Pozio, and S. M. Cacciò, “High genetic polymorphism among Giardia duodenalis isolates from Sahrawi children,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 834–838, 2009.
- A. Smith, M. Reacher, W. Smerdon, G. K. Adak, G. Nichols, and R. M. Chalmers, “Outbreaks of waterborne infectious intestinal disease in England and Wales, 1992–2003,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1141–1149, 2006.