- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 878956, 11 pages
Characteristics of Clinical Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli Isolated from British Columbia
1Food, Nutrition and Health Program, Faculty of Land and Food Systems, University of British Columbia, 218-2205 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
2Laboratory for Foodborne Zoonoses, Public Health Agency of Canada, 225089 Township Road 9-1 (Box 640), Lethbridge, AB, Canada T1J 3Z4
3The State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, School of Life Science, Shandong University, Jinan 250100, Shandong, China
4BCCDC Public Health and Reference Microbiology Laboratory, PHSA, 655 West 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 4R4
5Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Received 23 March 2013; Accepted 1 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jacek Osek
Copyright © 2013 Kevin J. Allen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Karmali, “Infection by verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 15–38, 1989.
- Advisory Committee on Microbiological Safety of Food, “Report on Verocytotoxin-Producing Escherichia coli,” 1995, http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/acmsfvtecreport.pdf.
- J. P. Nataro and J. B. Kaper, “Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 142–201, 1998.
- J. M. Rangel, P. H. Sparling, C. Crowe, P. M. Griffin, and D. L. Swerdlow, “Epidemiology of Escherichia coli O157:H7 outbreaks, United States, 1982–2002,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 603–609, 2005.
- M. Bielaszewska, A. Mellmann, W. Zhang et al., “Characterisation of the Escherichia coli strain associated with an outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome in Germany, 2011: a microbiological study,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 671–676, 2011.
- M. A. Karmali, M. Mascarenhas, S. Shen et al., “Association of genomic O island 122 of Escherichia coli EDL 933 with verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli seropathotypes that are linked to epidemic and/or serious disease,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 4930–4940, 2003.
- P. D. Fey, R. S. Wickert, M. E. Rupp, T. J. Safranek, and S. H. Hinrichs, “Prevalence of non-O157:H7 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in diarrheal stool samples from Nebraska,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 530–533, 2000.
- C. H. Park, H. J. Kim, and D. L. Hixon, “Importance of testing stool specimens for Shiga toxins,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 3542–3543, 2002.
- L. H. Thompson, S. Giercke, C. Beaudoin, D. Woodward, and J. L. Wylie, “Enhanced surveillance of non-O157 verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli in human stool samples from Manitoba,” Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 329–334, 2005.
- J. T. Brooks, E. G. Sowers, J. G. Wells et al., “Non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infections in the United States, 1983–2002,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 192, no. 8, pp. 1422–1429, 2005.
- J. M. Bosilevac and M. Koohmaraie, “Prevalence and characterization of non-O157 shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli isolates from commercial ground beef in the United States,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 2103–2112, 2011.
- O. Andreoletti, H. Budka, and S. Buncic, “Scientific opinion of the panel on biological hazards on a request from EFSA on monitoring of verotoxigenic Escherichia coli (VTEC) and identification of human pathogenic VTEC types,” The EFSA Journal, vol. 579, pp. 1–61, 2007.
- K. A. Bettelheim, “The non-O157 Shiga-toxigenic (verocytotoxigenic) Escherichia coli; under-rated pathogens,” Critical Reviews in Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 67–87, 2007.
- U. Käppeli, H. Hächler, N. Giezendanner, L. Beutin, and R. Stephan, “Human infections with non-o157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli, Switzerland, 2000–2009,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 180–185, 2011.
- US Department of Agriculture, “Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in certain raw beef products,” 2011, http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Frame/FrameRedirect.asp?main=http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/2010-0023FRN.htm.
- S. D. Manning, A. S. Motiwala, A. C. Springman et al., “Variation in virulence among clades of Escherichia coli O157:H7 associated with disease outbreaks,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 4868–4873, 2008.
- J. Kim, J. Nietfeldt, and A. K. Benson, “Octamer-based genome scanning distinguishes a unique subpopulation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains in cattle,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 23, pp. 13288–13293, 1999.
- J. Kim, J. Nietfeldt, J. Ju et al., “Ancestral divergence, genome diversification, and phylogeographic variation in subpopulations of sorbitol-negative, β-glucuronidase-negative enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 183, no. 23, pp. 6885–6897, 2001.
- Z. Yang, J. Kovar, J. Kim et al., “Identification of common subpopulations of non-sorbitol-fermenting, β-glucuronidase-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 from bovine production environments and human clinical samples,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 6846–6854, 2004.
- Y. Zhang, C. Laing, M. Steele et al., “Genome evolution in major Escherichia coli O157:H7 lineages,” BMC Genomics, vol. 8, article 121, 2007.
- Y. Zhang, C. Laing, Z. Zhang et al., “Lineage and host source are both correlated with levels of shiga toxin 2 production by Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 474–482, 2010.
- British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, “British Columbia annual summary of reportable diseases,” 2011, http://www.bccdc.ca/util/about/annreport/default.htm.
- E. M. Ribot, M. A. Fair, R. Gautom et al., “Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella for PulseNet,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 59–67, 2006.
- F. C. Tenover, R. D. Arbeit, R. V. Goering et al., “Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed- field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 2233–2239, 1995.
- A. W. Paton and J. C. Paton, “Detection and characterization of shiga toxigenic Escherichia coli by using multiplex PCR assays for stx1, stx2, eaeA, enterohemorrhagic E. coli hlyA, rfb(O111), and rfb(O157),” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 598–602, 1998.
- R. Stephan and L. E. Hoelzle, “Characterization of shiga toxin type 2 variant B-subunit in Escherichia coli strains from asymptomatic human carriers by PCR-RFLP,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 139–142, 2000.
- L. Beutin, A. Miko, G. Krause et al., “Identification of human-pathogenic strains of shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli from food by a combination of serotyping and molecular typing of Shiga toxin genes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 15, pp. 4769–4775, 2007.
- C. Laing, C. Pegg, D. Yawney et al., “Rapid determination of Escherichia coli O157:H7 lineage types and molecular subtypes by using comparative genomic fingerprinting,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 21, pp. 6606–6615, 2008.
- R. Sharma, K. Stanford, M. Louie et al., “Escherichia coli O157:H7 lineages in healthy beef and dairy cattle and clinical human cases in alberta, Canada,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 601–607, 2009.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, “Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing: twentieth informal supplement M100-S20,” Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, vol. 30, pp. 1–153, 2010.
- H. Xu, J. Davies, and V. Miao, “Molecular characterization of class 3 integrons from Delftia spp,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 189, no. 17, pp. 6276–6283, 2007.
- H. Xu, K. Broersma, V. Miao, and J. Davies, “Class 1 and class 2 integrons in multidrugresistant gram-negative bacteria isolated from the Salmon River, British Columbia,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 460–467, 2011.
- L. F. Mataseje, E. Bryce, D. Roscoe, et al., “Carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacilli in Canada 2009-10: results from the Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program (CNISP),” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1359–1367, 2012.
- K. Ziebell, M. Steele, Y. Zhang et al., “Genotypic characterization and prevalence of virulence factors among Canadian Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 14, pp. 4314–4323, 2008.
- P. Boerlin, S. A. McEwen, F. Boerlin-Petzold, J. B. Wilson, R. P. Johnson, and C. L. Gyles, “Associations between virulence factors of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli and disease in humans,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 497–503, 1999.
- E. Franz, A. H. A. M. Van Hoek, F. J. Van Der Wal et al., “Genetic features differentiating bovine, food, and human isolates of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 in The Netherlands,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 772–780, 2012.
- G. E. Mellor, E. M. Sim, R. S. Barlow, et al., “Phylogenetically related Argentinean and Australian Escherichia coli O157 isolates are distinguished by virulence clades and alternative Shiga toxin 1 and 2 prophages,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 78, no. 13, pp. 4724–4731, 2012.
- G. Buvens and D. Piérard, “Virulence profiling and disease association of verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 and non-O157 isolates in Belgium,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 530–535, 2012.
- S. D. Reid, C. J. Herbelin, A. C. Bumbaugh, R. K. Selander, and T. S. Whittam, “Parallel evolution of virulence in pathogenic Escherichia coli,” Nature, vol. 406, no. 6791, pp. 64–67, 2000.
- Y. Ogura, T. Ooka, A. Asadulghani et al., “Extensive genomic diversity and selective conservation of virulence-determinants in enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli strains of O157 and non-O157 serotypes,” Genome Biology, vol. 8, no. 7, article R138, 2007.
- J. L. Kyle, C. A. Cummings, C. T. Parker, et al., “Escherichia coli serotype O55:H7 diversity supports parallel acquisition of bacteriophage at Shiga toxin phage insertion sites during evolution of the O157:H7 lineage,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 194, no. 8, pp. 1885–1896, 2012.
- M. Steele, K. Ziebell, Y. Zhang et al., “Genomic regions conserved in lineage II Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 3271–3280, 2009.
- S. K. Aoki, R. Pamma, A. D. Hernday, J. E. Bickham, B. A. Braaten, and D. A. Low, “Microbiology: contact-dependent inhibition of growth in Escherichia coli,” Science, vol. 309, no. 5738, pp. 1245–1248, 2005.
- P. I. Tarr, C. A. Gordon, and W. L. Chandler, “Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli and haemolytic uraemic syndrome,” Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9464, pp. 1073–1086, 2005.
- C. S. Wong, S. Jelacic, R. L. Habeeb, S. L. Watkins, and P. I. Tarr, “The risk of the hemolytic-uremic syndrome after antibiotic treatment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 26, pp. 1930–1936, 2000.
- S. Dundas, W. T. A. Todd, A. I. Stewart, P. S. Murdoch, A. K. R. Chaudhuri, and S. J. Hutchinson, “The central Scotland Escherichia coli O157:H7 outbreak: risk factors for the hemolytic uremic syndrome and death among hospitalized patients,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 923–931, 2001.
- D. L. Martin, K. L. MacDonald, K. E. White, J. T. Soler, and M. T. Osterholm, “The epidemiology and clinical aspects of the hemolytic uremic syndrome in Minnesota,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 323, no. 17, pp. 1161–1167, 1990.
- B. P. Bell, P. M. Griffin, P. Lozano, D. L. Christie, J. M. Kobayashi, and P. I. Tarr, “Predictors of hemolytic uremic syndrome in children during a large outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections,” Pediatrics, vol. 100, no. 1, article E12, 1997.
- K. Ikeda, O. Ida, K. Kimoto, T. Takatorige, N. Nakanishi, and K. Tatara, “Effect of early fosfomycin treatment on prevention of hemolytic uremic syndrome accompanying Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 357–362, 1999.
- J. Menne, M. Nitschke, R. Stingele, et al., “Validation of treatment strategies for enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O104:H4 induced haemolytic uraemic syndrome: case-control study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 345, Article ID e4565, 2012.
- M. Nitschke, F. Sayk, C. Härtel et al., “Association between azithromycin therapy and duration of bacterial shedding among patients with shiga toxin-producing enteroaggregative Escherichia coli O104:H4,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 10, pp. 1046–1052, 2012.
- A. Mora, J. E. Blanco, M. Blanco et al., “Antimicrobial resistance of Shiga toxin (verotoxin)-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 and non-O157 strains isolated from humans, cattle, sheep and food in Spain,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 156, no. 7, pp. 793–806, 2005.
- V. Srinivasan, L. T. Nguyen, S. I. Headrick, S. E. Murinda, and S. P. Oliver, “Antimicrobial resistance patterns of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 and O157:H7- from different origins,” Microbial Drug Resistance, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2007.
- P. M. Fratamico, A. A. Bhagwat, L. Injaian, and P. J. Fedorka-Cray, “Characterization of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains isolated from swine feces,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 827–838, 2008.
- S. P. Gow and C. L. Waldner, “Antimicrobial resistance and virulence factors stx1, stx2, and eae in generic Escherichia coli isolates from calves in western Canadian cow-calf herds,” Microbial Drug Resistance, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 61–67, 2009.
- G. Buvens, P. Bogaerts, Y. Glupczynski, S. Lauwers, and D. Piérard, “Antimicrobial resistance testing of verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli and first description of TEM-52 extended-spectrum β-lactamase in serogroup O26,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 4907–4909, 2010.
- M. C. Cergole-Novella, A. C. C. Pignatari, M. Castanheira, and B. E. C. Guth, “Molecular typing of antimicrobial-resistant Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains (STEC) in Brazil,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 117–123, 2011.
- M.-C. Li, F. Wang, and F. Li, “Identification and molecular characterization of antimicrobial-resistant shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli isolated from retail meat products,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 489–493, 2011.
- J. Meng, S. Zhao, M. P. Doyle, and S. W. Joseph, “Antibiotic resistance of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and O157:NM isolated from animals, food, and humans,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1511–1514, 1998.
- K. J. Allen and C. Poppe, “Occurrence and characterization of resistance to extended-spectrum cephalosporins mediated by β-lactamase CMY-2 in Salmonella isolated from food-producing animals in Canada,” Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 137–144, 2002.
- L. F. Mataseje, P. J. Baudry, G. G. Zhanel et al., “Comparison of CMY-2 plasmids isolated from human, animal, and environmental Escherichia coli and Salmonella spp. from Canada,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 387–391, 2010.
- M. Aslam and C. Service, “Antimicrobial resistance and genetic profiling of Escherichia coli from a commercial beef packing plant,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 1508–1513, 2006.
- M. Aslam, M. S. Diarra, C. Service, and H. Rempel, “Antimicrobial resistance genes in Escherichia coli isolates recovered from a commercial beef processing plant,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 1089–1093, 2009.