- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 879489, 20 pages
Gene Expression Profiling of Human Oocytes Developed and Matured In Vivo or In Vitro
1Reproductive Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Slajmerjeva 3, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 30 September 2012; Revised 7 December 2012; Accepted 8 December 2012
Academic Editor: Xuan Jin
Copyright © 2013 Irma Virant-Klun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. de Mouzon, V. Goossens, S. Bhattacharya, et al., “Assisted reproductive technology in Europe, 2007: results generated from European registers by ESHRE,” Human Reproduction, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 954–966, 2012.
- S. Gasca, F. Pellestor, S. Assou et al., “Identifying new human oocyte marker genes: a microarray approach,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 175–183, 2007.
- F. D. West, D. W. Machacek, N. L. Boyd, K. Pandiyan, K. R. Robbins, and S. L. Stice, “Enrichment and differentiation of human germ-like cells mediated by feeder cells and basic fibroblast growth factor signaling,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 2768–2776, 2008.
- F. D. West, M. I. Roche-Rios, S. Abraham et al., “KIT ligand and bone morphogenetic protein signaling enhances human embryonic stem cell to germ-like cell differentiation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 168–178, 2010.
- M. Richards, C. Y. Fong, and A. Bongso, “Comparative evaluation of different in vitro systems that stimulate germ cell differentiation in human embryonic stem cells,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 986–994, 2010.
- J. V. Medrano, C. Ramathal, H. N. Nguyen, C. Simon, and R. A. Reijo Pera, “Divergent RNA-binding proteins, DAZL and VASA, induce meiotic progression in human germ cells derived in vitro,” Stem Cells, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 441–451, 2012.
- C. Eguizabal, N. Montserrat, R. Vassena et al., “Complete meiosis from human induced pluripotent stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1186–1195, 2011.
- I. Virant-Klun, N. Zech, P. Rozman et al., “Putative stem cells with an embryonic character isolated from the ovarian surface epithelium of women with no naturally present follicles and oocytes,” Differentiation, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 843–856, 2008.
- I. Virant-Klun, P. Rožman, B. Cvjeticanin et al., “Parthenogenetic embryo-like structures in the human ovarian surface epithelium cell culture in postmenopausal women with no naturally present follicles and oocytes,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 137–149, 2009.
- I. Virant-Klun, T. Skutella, M. Stimpfel, and J. Sinkovec, “Ovarian surface epithelium in patients with severe ovarian infertility: a potential source of cells expressing markers of pluripotent/multipotent stem cells,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 381928, 2011.
- X. Cheng, S. Chen, X. Yu, P. Zheng, and H. Wang, “BMP15 gene is activated during human amniotic fluid stem cell differentiation into oocyte-like cells,” DNA and Cell Biology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1198–1204, 2012.
- M. H. Johnson and B. J. Everitt, “Adult ovarian function,” in Essential Reproduction, pp. 69–87, Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK, 5th edition, 2000.
- S. Hafidh, V. Capková, and D. Honys, “Safe keeping the message: mRNP complexes tweaking after transcription,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 722, pp. 118–136, 2011.
- M. G. Bermúdez, D. Wells, H. Malter, S. Munné, J. Cohen, and N. M. Steuerwald, “Expression profiles of individual human oocytes using microarray technology,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 325–337, 2004.
- A. M. Kocabas, J. Crosby, P. J. Ross et al., “The transcriptome of human oocytes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 38, pp. 14027–14032, 2006.
- S. Assou, T. Anahory, V. Pantesco et al., “The human cumulus-oocyte complex gene-expression profile,” Human Reproduction, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1705–1719, 2006.
- D. Wells, M. G. Bermudez, N. Steuerwald et al., “Expression of genes regulating chromosome segregation, the cell cycle and apoptosis during human preimplantation development,” Human Reproduction, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1339–1348, 2005.
- S. S. L. Li, Y. H. Liu, C. N. Tseng, and S. Singh, “Analysis of gene expression in single human oocytes and preimplantation embryos,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 340, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2006.
- J. Huntriss, M. Hinkins, and H. M. Picton, “cDNA cloning and expression of the human NOBOX gene in oocytes and ovarian follicles,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 283–289, 2006.
- L. Neilson, A. Andalibi, D. Kang et al., “Molecular phenotype of the human oocyte by PCR-SAGE,” Genomics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2000.
- A. T. Dobson, R. Raja, M. J. Abeyta et al., “The unique transcriptome through day 3 of human preimplantation development,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 13, no. 14, pp. 1461–1470, 2004.
- G. M. Jones, B. Song, D. S. Cram, and A. O. Trounson, “Optimization of a microarray based approach for deriving representative gene expression profiles from human oocytes,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 8–17, 2007.
- S. Markholt, M L. Grøndahl, E. H. Ernst, C. Y. Andersen, E. Ernst, and K. Lykke-Hartmann, “Global gene analysis of oocytes from early stages in human folliculogenesis shows high expression of novel genes in reproduction,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 96–110, 2012.
- P. Zhang, E. Kerkelä, H. Skottman et al., “Distinct sets of developmentally regulated genes that are expressed by human oocytes and human embryonic stem cells,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 677–690, 2007.
- S. Assou, D. Cerecedo, S. Tondeur et al., “A gene expression signature shared by human mature oocytes and embryonic stem cells,” BMC Genomics, vol. 10, article 10, 2009.
- D. Wells and P. Patrizio, “Gene expression profiling of human oocytes at different maturational stages and after in vitro maturation,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 198, no. 4, pp. 455.e1–455.e9, 2008.
- G. M. Jones, D. S. Cram, B. Song et al., “Gene expression profiling of human oocytes following in vivo or in vitro maturation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1138–1144, 2008.
- C. Monzo, D. Haouzi, K. Roman, S. Assou, H. Dechaud, and S. Hamamah, “Slow freezing and vitrification differentially modify the gene expression profile of human metaphase II oocytes,” Human Reproduction, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 2160–2168, 2012.
- S. Gasca, L. Reyftmann, F. Pellestor et al., “Case report: total fertilization failure and molecular abnormalities in metaphase II oocytes,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 772–781, 2008.
- P. C. Klatsky, G. M. Wessel, and S. A. Carson, “Detection and quantification of mRNA in single human polar bodies: a minimally invasive test of gene expression during oogenesis,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 16, no. 12, Article ID gaq077, pp. 938–943, 2010.
- A. Reich, P. Klatsky, S. Carson, and G. Wessel, “The transcriptome of a human polar body accurately reflects its sibling oocyte,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 47, pp. 40743–40749, 2011.
- N. M. Steuerwald, M. G. Bermúdez, D. Wells, S. Munné, and J. Cohen, “Maternal age-related differential global expression profiles observed in human oocytes,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 700–708, 2007.
- M. L. Grøndahl, C. Yding Andersen, J. Bogstad, F. C. Nielsen, H. Meinertz, and R. Borup, “Gene expression profiles of single human mature oocytes in relation to age,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 957–968, 2010.
- E. Fragouli, V. Bianchi, P. Patrizio et al., “Transcriptomic profiling of human oocytes: association of meiotic aneuploidy and altered oocyte gene expression,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 16, no. 8, Article ID gaq033, pp. 570–582, 2010.
- T. P. Zwaka and J. A. Thomson, “A germ cell origin of embryonic stem cell?” Development, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 227–233, 2005.
- C. R. Nicholas, K. M. Haston, A. K. Grewall, T. A. Longacre, and R. A. Reijo Pera, “Transplantation directs oocyte maturation from embryonic stem cells and provides a therapeutic strategy for female infertility,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 4376–4389, 2009.
- S. Roesner, M. Von Wolff, I. Eberhardt, P. Beuter-Winkler, B. Toth, and T. Strowitzki, “In vitro maturation: a five-year experience,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2012.
- L. C. O. ’Shea, J. Mehta, P. Lonergan, C. Hensey, and T. Fair, “Developmental competence in oocytes and cumulus cells: candidate genes and networks,” System Biology in Reproductive Medicine, vol. 58, pp. 88–101, 2012.
- E. Porcu, R. Fabbri, G. Damiano, R. Fratto, S. Giunchi, and S. Venturoli, “Oocyte cryopreservation in oncological patients,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 113, supplement 1, pp. S14–S16, 2004.
- M. Huser, J. Zakova, L. Smardova, et al., “Combination of fertility preservation strategies in young women with recently diagnosed cancer,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 42–50, 2012.
- M. L. Matthews, B. S. Hurst, P. B. Marshburn, R. S. Usadi, M. A. Papadakis, and T. Sarantou, “Cancer, fertility preservation, and future pregnancy: a comprehensive review,” Obstetrics and Gynecology International, vol. 2012, Article ID 953937, 11 pages, 2012.
- I. Virant-Klun, L. Bacer-Kermavner, T. Tomazevic, and E. Vrtacnik-Bokal, “Slow oocyte freezing and thawing in couples with no sperm or an insufficient number of sperm on the day of in vitro fertilization,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 9, article 19, 2011.
- R. Fabbri, E. Porcu, T. Marsella, G. Rocchetta, S. Venturoli, and C. Flamigni, “Human oocyte cryopreservation: new perspectives regarding oocyte survival,” Human Reproduction, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 411–416, 2001.
- L. Parmegiani, F. Bertocci, C. Garello, M. C. Salvarani, G. Tambuscio, and R. Fabbri, “Efficiency of human oocyte slow freezing: results from five assisted reproduction centres,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 352–359, 2009.
- L. Kuleshova, L. Gianaroli, C. Magli, A. Ferraretti, and A. Trounson, “Birth following vitrification of a small number of human oocytes,” Human Reproduction, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3077–3079, 1999.
- A. Cobo, M. Kuwayama, S. Pérez, A. Ruiz, A. Pellicer, and J. Remohí, “Comparison of concomitant outcome achieved with fresh and cryopreserved donor oocytes vitrified by the Cryotop method,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1657–1664, 2008.
- A. Cobo and C. Diaz, “Clinical application of oocyte vitrification: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 277–285, 2011.