- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 895816, 5 pages
Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Assay for the Rapid Detection of Staphylococcus aureus
1Institute of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya,
50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Laboratory of Biomedical Science and Molecular Microbiology, Institute of Graduate Studies, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 14 October 2012; Revised 2 January 2013; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Isabel Sá-Correia
Copyright © 2013 King Ting Lim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. M. Adwan, B. A. Abu-Shanab, K. M. Adwan, and N. R. Jarrar, “Toxigenicity of staphylococcus aureus isolates from Northern Palestine,” Emirates Medical Journal, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 127–129, 2006.
- E. E. Udo, S. Al-Mufti, and M. J. Albert, “The prevalence of antimicrobial resistance and carriage of virulence genes in Staphylococcus aureus isolated from food handlers in Kuwait City restaurants,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 2, article 108, 2009.
- A. Huletsky, R. Giroux, V. Rossbach et al., “New real-time PCR assay for rapid detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus directly from specimens containing a mixture of staphylococci,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1875–1884, 2004.
- D. Jonas, M. Speck, F. D. Daschner, and H. Grundmann, “Rapid PCR-based identification of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from screening swabs,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1821–1823, 2002.
- T. Notomi, H. Okayama, H. Masubuchi et al., “Loop-mediated isothermal amplification of DNA,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 28, no. 12, article e63, 2000.
- L. Rittie and B. Perbal, “Enzymes used in molecular biology: a useful guide,” Journal of Cell Communications and Signaling, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 25–45, 2008.
- S. Nagarajappa, M. S. Thakur, and H. K. Manonmani, “Detection of enterotoxigenic staphylococci by loop-mediated isothermal amplification method,” Journal of Food Safety, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2011.
- H. Yang, X. Ma, X. Zhang, Y. Wang, and W. Zhang, “Development and evaluation of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for the rapid detection of Staphylococcus aureus in food,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 232, no. 5, pp. 769–776, 2011.
- K. Nagamine, T. Hase, and T. Notomi, “Accelerated reaction by loop-mediated isothermal amplification using loop primers,” Molecular and Cellular Probes, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 223–229, 2002.
- W. Yamazaki, M. Taguchi, M. Ishibashi et al., “Development and evaluation of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid and simple detection of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 444–451, 2008.
- J. Hill, S. Beriwal, I. Chandra et al., “Loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid detection of common strains of Escherichia coli,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 2800–2804, 2008.
- P. Sonthayanon, W. Chierakul, V. Wuthiekanun et al., “Accuracy of loop-mediated isothermal amplification for diagnosis of human leptospirosis in Thailand,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 614–620, 2011.
- P. Francois, M. Tangomo, J. Hibbs, et al., “Robustness of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification reaction for diagnosis applications,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 2011.
- Z. Xu, L. Li, J. Chu et al., “Development and application of loop-mediated isothermal amplification assays on rapid detection of various types of staphylococci strains,” Food Research International, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 166–173, 2011.
- L. Wang, X. Zhao, J. Chu, et al., “Application of an improved loop-mediated isothermal amplification detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus from various seafood samples,” African Journal of Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 31, pp. 5765–5771, 2011.
- K. T. Lim, Y. A. Hanifah, M. Y. M. Yusof, et al., “Temporal changes in the genotypes of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from a tertiary Malaysian hospital based on MLST, spa and mec-associated dru typing,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 106–112, 2012.
- K. T. Lim, Y. A. Hanifah, M. Y. M. Yusof, et al., “Characterisation of the virulence factors and genetic types of methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus from patients and healthy individuals,” Indian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 593–600, 2012.
- M. C. Enright, N. P. J. Day, C. E. Davies, S. J. Peacock, and B. G. Spratt, “Multilocus sequence typing for characterization of methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible clones of Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1008–1015, 2000.
- Y. Mori, M. Kitao, N. Tomita, and T. Notomi, “Real-time turbidimetry of LAMP reaction for quantifying template DNA,” Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 145–157, 2004.
- D. Harmsen, H. Claus, W. Witte et al., “Typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a university hospital setting by using novel software for spa repeat determination and database management,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 5442–5448, 2003.
- M. Z. David and R. S. Daum, “Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: epidemiology and clinical consequences of an emerging epidemic,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 616–687, 2010.
- Y. Misawa, A. Yoshida, R. Saito et al., “Application of loop-mediated isothermal amplification technique to rapid and direct detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in blood cultures,” Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 134–140, 2007.
- H. Kaneko, T. Iida, K. Aoki, S. Ohno, and T. Suzutani, “Sensitive and rapid detection of herpes simplex virus and varicella-zoster virus DNA by loop-mediated isothermal amplification,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 3290–3296, 2005.
- D. Wang, G. Huo, F. Wang, et al., “Drawback of loop-mediated isothermal amplification,” African Journal of Food Science, vol. 2, pp. 83–86, 2008.