- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 896536, 6 pages
Vitamin C Intake Reduces the Cytotoxicity Associated with Hyperglycemia in Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes
1PPG em Promoção da Saúde, Universidade de Santa Cruz do Sul, Avenida Independência, 2293, Sala 4206,
96815-900 Santa Cruz do Sul, RS, Brazil
2Curso de Nutrição/DEDFIS, Universidade de Santa Cruz do Sul, Santa Cruz do Sul, RS, Brazil
3Serviço de Genética Médica, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 10 April 2013; Revised 18 June 2013; Accepted 23 June 2013
Academic Editor: Norma Possa Marroni
Copyright © 2013 Silvia Isabel Rech Franke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Maiese, S. D. Morhan, and Z. C. Zhao, “Oxidative stress biology and cell injury during Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Current Neurovascular Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 63–71, 2007.
- R. Singh, A. Barden, T. Mori, and L. Beilin, “Advanced glycation end-products: a review,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 129–146, 2001.
- V. Jakuš and N. Rietbrock, “Advanced glycation end-products and the progress of diabetic vascular complications,” Physiological Research, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 131–142, 2004.
- R. C. Ruhe and R. B. McDonald, “Use of antioxidant nutrients in the prevention and treatment of Type 2 diabetes,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 20, supplement 5, pp. S363–S383, 2001.
- T. L. Duarte and J. Lunec, “Review: when is an antioxidant not an antioxidant? A review of novel actions and reactions of vitamin C,” Free Radical Research, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 671–686, 2005.
- M. Fenech and A. A. Morley, “Measurement of micronuclei in lymphocytes,” Mutation Research, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 29–36, 1985.
- S. W. Maluf, “Monitoring DNA damage following radiation exposure using cytokinesis-block micronucleus method and alkaline single-cell gel electrophoresis,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 347, no. 1-2, pp. 15–24, 2004.
- M. Fenech, “Cytokinesis-block micronucleus cytome assay,” Nature Protocols, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 1084–1104, 2007.
- D. Prá, A. Bortoluzzi, L. L. Müller et al., “Iron intake, red cell indicators of iron status, and DNA damage in young subjects,” Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 293–297, 2011.
- IOM and Institute of Medicine, Dietary Reference Intakes For Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids, Food and Nutrition Board, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- J. Varvarovska, J. Racek, R. Stetina et al., “Aspects of oxidative stress in children with Type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 539–545, 2004.
- J. Blasiak, M. Arabski, R. Krupa et al., “DNA damage and repair in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Mutation Research, vol. 554, no. 1-2, pp. 297–304, 2004.
- M. Lodovici, L. Giovannelli, V. Pitozzi, E. Bigagli, G. Bardini, and C. M. Rotella, “Oxidative DNA damage and plasma antioxidant capacity in type 2 diabetic patients with good and poor glycaemic control,” Mutation Research, vol. 638, no. 1-2, pp. 98–102, 2008.
- M. Afkhami-Ardekani and A. Shojaoddiny-Ardekani, “Effect of vitamin C on blood glucose, serum lipids and serum insulin in type 2 diabetes patients,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 471–474, 2007.
- S. W. Choi, I. Benzie, C. S. Y. Lam et al., “Inter-relationships between DNA damage, ascorbic acid and glycaemic control in Type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1347–1353, 2005.
- M. Fenech, “The Genome Health Clinic and Genome Health Nutrigenomics concepts: diagnosis and nutritional treatment of genome and epigenome damage on an individual basis,” Mutagenesis, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 255–269, 2005.
- C. M. Sena, E. Nunes, A. Gomes et al., “Supplementation of coenzyme Q10 and α-tocopherol lowers glycated hemoglobin level and lipid peroxidation in pancreas of diabetic rats,” Nutrition Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 113–121, 2008.
- A. C. Carr and B. Frei, “Toward a new recommended dietary allowance for vitamin C based on antioxidant and health effects in humans,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1086–1107, 1999.
- M. Koga, M. Otsuki, S. Matsumoto, H. Saito, M. Mukai, and S. Kasayama, “Negative association of obesity and its related chronic inflammation with serum glycated albumin but not glycated hemoglobin levels,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 378, no. 1-2, pp. 48–52, 2007.
- A. P. Yates and I. Laing, “Age-related increase in haemoglobin A1c and fasting plasma glucose is accompanied by a decrease in β cell function without change in insulin sensitivity: evidence from a cross-sectional study of hospital personnel,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 254–258, 2002.
- A. Adaikalakoteswari, M. Rema, V. Mohan, and M. Balasubramanyam, “Oxidative DNA damage and augmentation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase/nuclear factor-kappa B signaling in patients with Type 2 diabetes and microangiopathy,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1673–1684, 2007.
- P. B. Bagatini, R. P. Palazzo, M. T. Rodrigues, C. H. Costa, and S. W. Maluf, “Induction and removal of DNA damage in blood leukocytes of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus undergoing hemodialysis,” Mutation Research, vol. 657, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 2008.
- C. S. Pereira, P. Molz, R. P. Palazzo et al., “DNA damage and cytotoxicity in adult subjects with prediabetes,” Mutation Research, vol. 753, no. 2, pp. 76–81, 2013.
- S. K. Shettigar, C. Shailaja, and R. K. Kulkarni, “Elevated micronuclei frequency in type 2 diabetes with high glycosylated hemoglobin,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 246–250, 2012.
- R. Otton, F. G. Soriano, R. Verlengia, and R. Curi, “Diabetes induces apoptosis in lymphocytes,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 145–156, 2004.
- R. Pazdro and J. R. Burgess, “The role of vitamin E and oxidative stress in diabetes complications,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 276–286, 2010.
- S. I. R. Franke, D. Prá, J. Da Silva, B. Erdtmann, and J. A. P. Henriques, “Possible repair action of Vitamin C on DNA damage induced by methyl methanesulfonate, cyclophosphamide, FeSO4 and CuSO4 in mouse blood cells in vivo,” Mutation Research, vol. 583, no. 1, pp. 75–84, 2005.