- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 901082, 7 pages
Serum Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Levels in Different Neurological Diseases
1Department of Neuroscience, AFaR—Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Isola Tiberina 39, 00186 Rome, Italy
2Neuropsychopharmacology Unit, IRCCS “S. Giovanni di Dio” Fatebenefratelli, Via Pilastroni 4, 25125 Brescia, Italy
3Alzheimer's Disease Unit, IRCCS “S. Giovanni di Dio” Fatebenefratelli, Via Pilastroni 4, 25125 Brescia, Italy
4Parkinson's Rehabilitation Unit, AFaR-Fatebenefratelli S. Raffaele Arcangelo Hospital, Madonna dell'Orto 3458, 30121 Venice, Italy
5Medical Statistics & Information Technology, AFaR—Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Isola Tiberina 39, 00186 Rome, Italy
6Division of Biology and Genetics, Department of Molecular and Translational Medicine, University of Brescia, Viale Europa 11, 25123 Brescia, Italy
7Genetic Unit, IRCCS “S. Giovanni di Dio” Fatebenefratelli, Via Pilastroni 4, 25125 Brescia, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 17 July 2013; Accepted 21 July 2013
Academic Editor: Elizabeta B. Mukaetova-Ladinska
Copyright © 2013 Mariacarla Ventriglia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Genius, H. Klafki, J. Benninghoff, H. Esselmann, and J. Wiltfang, “Current application of neurochemical biomarkers in the prediction and differential diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative dementias,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 262, no. 2, pp. 71–77, 2012.
- S. Balaratnasingam and A. Janca, “Brain derived neurotrophic factor: a novel neurotrophin involved in psychiatric and neurological disorders,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 116–124, 2012.
- O. Arancio and M. V. Chao, “Neurotrophins, synaptic plasticity and dementia,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 2007.
- C. Zuccato and E. Cattaneo, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor in neurodegenerative diseases,” Nature Reviews Neurology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 311–322, 2009.
- B. S. Diniz and A. L. Teixeira, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and Alzheimer's disease: physiopathology and beyond,” NeuroMolecular Medicine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 217–222, 2011.
- M. G. Murer, Q. Yan, and R. Raisman-Vozari, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the control human brain, and in Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 71–124, 2001.
- S. Peng, J. Wuu, E. J. Mufson, and M. Fahnestock, “Precursor form of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and mature brain-derived neurotrophic factor are decreased in the pre-clinical stages of Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1412–1421, 2005.
- K. Imamura, N. Hishikawa, K. Ono et al., “Cytokine production of activated microglia and decrease in neurotrophic factors of neurons in the hippocampus of Lewy body disease brains,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 141–150, 2005.
- I. Ferrer, C. Marín, M. J. Rey, and T. Ribalta, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor in patients with frontotemporal dementia,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 279, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 2000.
- M. P. Mattson, “Glutamate and neurotrophic factors in neuronal plasticity and disease,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1144, pp. 97–112, 2008.
- M. G. Murer, F. Boissiere, Q. Yan et al., “An immunohistochemical study of the distribution of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the adult human brain, with particular reference to Alzheimer's disease,” Neuroscience, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1015–1032, 1999.
- R. Kohno, H. Sawada, Y. Kawamoto, K. Uemura, H. Shibasaki, and S. Shimohama, “BDNF is induced by wild-type α-synuclein but not by the two mutants, A30P or A53T, in glioma cell line,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 318, no. 1, pp. 113–118, 2004.
- H. Fujimura, C. A. Altar, R. Chen et al., “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is stored in human platelets and released by agonist stimulation,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 728–734, 2002.
- A. Gielen, M. Khademi, S. Muhallab, T. Olsson, and F. Piehl, “Increased brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in white blood cells of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 493–497, 2003.
- T. Nakahashi, H. Fujimura, C. A. Altar et al., “Vascular endothelial cells synthesize and secrete brain-derived neurotrophic factor,” FEBS Letters, vol. 470, no. 2, pp. 113–117, 2000.
- A. Cattaneo, L. Bocchio-Chiavetto, R. Zanardini, E. Milanesi, A. Placentino, and M. Gennarelli, “Reduced peripheral brain-derived neurotrophic factor mRNA levels are normalized by antidepressant treatment,” International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 103–108, 2010.
- W. Pan, W. A. Banks, M. B. Fasold, J. Bluth, and A. J. Kastin, “Transport of brain-derived neurotrophic factor across the blood-brain barrier,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1553–1561, 1998.
- J. F. Poduslo and G. L. Curran, “Permeability at the blood-brain and blood-nerve barriers of the neurotrophic factors: NGF, CNTF, NT-3, BDNF,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 280–286, 1996.
- L. Bocchio-Chiavetto, V. Bagnardi, R. Zanardini et al., “Serum and plasma BDNF levels in major depression: a replication study and meta-analyses,” World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 763–773, 2010.
- E. Castrén and T. Rantamäki, “The role of BDNF and its receptors in depression and antidepressant drug action: reactivation of developmental plasticity,” Developmental Neurobiology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 289–297, 2010.
- U. E. Lang, R. Hellweg, F. Seifert, F. Schubert, and J. Gallinat, “Correlation between serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor level and an in vivo marker of cortical integrity,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 530–535, 2007.
- J. Gunstad, A. Benitez, J. Smith et al., “Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor is associated with cognitive function in healthy older adults,” Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 166–170, 2008.
- C. Laske, E. Stransky, T. Leyhe et al., “BDNF serum and CSF concentrations in Alzheimer's disease, normal pressure hydrocephalus and healthy controls,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 387–394, 2007.
- O. V. Forlenza, B. S. Diniz, A. L. Teixeira et al., “Effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met polymorphism and serum levels on the progression of mild cognitive impairment,” World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 774–780, 2010.
- G. L. Jung, S. S. Bae, S. Y. Young et al., “Decreased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in elderly Korean with dementia,” Psychiatry Investigation, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 299–305, 2009.
- P. Scalzo, A. Kümmer, T. L. Bretas, F. Cardoso, and A. L. Teixeira, “Serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor correlate with motor impairment in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 257, no. 4, pp. 540–545, 2010.
- F. Angelucci, A. Oliviero, F. Pilato et al., “Transcranial magnetic stimulation and BDNF plasma levels in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” NeuroReport, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 717–720, 2004.
- S. E. O'Bryant, V. L. Hobson, J. R. Hall et al., “Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels are specifically associated with memory performance among Alzheimer's disease cases,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2011.
- C. Yasutake, K. Kuroda, T. Yanagawa, T. Okamura, and H. Yoneda, “Serum BDNF, TNF-α and IL-1β levels in dementia patients: comparison between Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 256, no. 7, pp. 402–406, 2006.
- T. Leyhe, G. W. Eschweiler, E. Stransky et al., “Increase of BDNF serum concentration in lithium treated patients with early alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 649–656, 2009.
- X. Zhang, P. E. Andren, and P. Svenningsson, “Repeated l-DOPA treatment increases c-fos and BDNF mRNAs in the subthalamic nucleus in the 6-OHDA rat model of Parkinson's disease,” Brain Research, vol. 1095, no. 1, pp. 207–210, 2006.
- S. Sen, R. Duman, and G. Sanacora, “Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor, depression, and antidepressant medications: meta-analyses and Implications,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 527–532, 2008.
- V. Ricci, M. Pomponi, G. Martinotti et al., “Antidepressant treatment restores brain-derived neurotrophic factor serum levels and ameliorates motor function in parkinson disease patients,” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 751–753, 2010.
- G. McKhann, D. Drachman, M. Folstein, R. Katzman, D. Price, and E. M. Stadlan, “Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA work group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's disease,” Neurology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 939–944, 1984.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Text Revision, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- D. Neary, J. S. Snowden, L. Gustafson et al., “Frontotemporal lobar degeneration: a consensus on clinical diagnostic criteria,” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1546–1554, 1998.
- I. G. McKeith, D. W. Dickson, J. Lowe et al., “Diagnosis and management of dementia with Lewy bodies: third report of the DLB consortium,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 1863–1872, 2005.
- G. C. Román, T. K. Tatemichi, T. Erkinjuntti et al., “Vascular dementia: diagnostic criteria for research studies: report of the NINDS-AIREN International Workshop,” Neurology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 250–260, 1993.
- M. Emre, D. Aarsland, R. Brown et al., “Clinical diagnostic criteria for dementia associated with Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1689–1707, 2007.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, ““Mini-mental state”: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- M. M. Hoehn and M. D. Yahr, “Parkinsonism: onset, progression and mortality,” Neurology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 427–442, 1967.
- C. Laske, E. Stransky, T. Leyhe et al., “Decreased brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)- and β-thromboglobulin (β-TG)- blood levels in Alzheimer's disease,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 102–103, 2006.
- M. Rohe, M. Synowitz, R. Glass, S. M. Paul, A. Nykjaer, and T. E. Willnow, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor reduces amyloidogenic processing through control of SORLA gene expression,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 29, no. 49, pp. 15472–15478, 2009.
- E. Elliott, R. Atlas, A. Lange, and I. Ginzburg, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor induces a rapid dephosphorylation of tau protein through a PI-3Kinase signalling mechanism,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1081–1089, 2005.
- I. Ferrer, J. Krupinski, E. Goutan, E. Martí, S. Ambrosio, and E. Arenas, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor reduces cortical cell death by ischemia after middle cerebral artery occlusion in the rat,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 229–238, 2001.
- A. H. Nagahara and M. H. Tuszynski, “Potential therapeutic uses of BDNF in neurological and psychiatric disorders,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 209–219, 2011.
- A. L. Teixeira, I. G. Barbosa, B. S. Diniz, and A. Kummer, “Circulating levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor: correlation with mood, cognition and motor function,” Biomarkers in Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 871–887, 2010.
- R. M. Kostrzewa, P. Nowak, J. P. Kostrzewa, R. A. Kostrzewa, and R. Brus, “Peculiarities of L-DOPA treatment of Parkinson's disease,” Amino Acids, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 157–164, 2005.
- C. W. Zhu, E. E. Livote, K. Kahle-Wrobleski et al., “Utilization of antihypertensives, antidepressants, antipsychotics, and hormones in Alzheimer disease,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 144–148, 2011.
- B. Chen, D. Dowlatshahi, G. M. MacQueen, J.-F. Wang, and L. T. Young, “Increased hippocampal BDNF immunoreactivity in subjects treated with antidepressant medication,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 260–265, 2001.
- E. Shimizu, K. Hashimoto, N. Okamura et al., “Alterations of serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in depressed patients with or without antidepressants,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 2003.
- L. Huopaniemi, R. Keist, A. Randolph, U. Certa, and U. Rudolph, “Diazepam-induced adaptive plasticity revealed by α1 GABAA receptor-specific expression profiling,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 1059–1067, 2004.
- T.-L. Huang and Y.-Y. Hung, “Lorazepam reduces the serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor level in schizophrenia patients with catatonia,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 158–159, 2009.
- N. Canas, I. T. Pereira, J. A. Ribeiro, and A. M. Sebastião, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor facilitates glutamate and inhibits GABA release from hippocampal synaptosomes through different mechanisms,” Brain Research, vol. 1016, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 2004.
- T. Matsumoto, T. Numakawa, D. Yokomaku et al., “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-induced potentiation of glutamate and GABA release: different dependency on signaling pathways and neuronal activity,” Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 70–84, 2006.
- B. Singh, C. Henneberger, D. Betances et al., “Altered balance of glutamatergic/GABAergic synaptic input and associated changes in dendrite morphology after BDNF expression in BDNF-deficient hippocampal neurons,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 7189–7200, 2006.
- S. Nishino, K. Ohtomo, Y. Numata, T. Sato, N. Nakahata, and M. Kurita, “Divergent effects of lithium and sodium valproate on brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) production in human astrocytoma cells at therapeutic concentrations,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2012.
- J. Haymond and M. H. H. Ensom, “Does valproic acid warrant therapeutic drug monitoring in bipolar affective disorder?” Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2010.
- L. K. Jornada, M. Moretti, S. S. Valvassori et al., “Effects of mood stabilizers on hippocampus and amygdala BDNF levels in an animal model of mania induced by ouabain,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 506–510, 2010.
- F. Matrisciano, S. Bonaccorso, A. Ricciardi et al., “Changes in BDNF serum levels in patients with major depression disorder (MDD) after 6 months treatment with sertraline, escitalopram, or venlafaxine,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 2009.