- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 909045, 13 pages
A Comparison between Use of Spray and Freeze Drying Techniques for Preparation of Solid Self-Microemulsifying Formulation of Valsartan and In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation
Department of Pharmaceutics, Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi 221005, India
Received 10 April 2013; Accepted 20 June 2013
Academic Editor: Umesh Gupta
Copyright © 2013 Sanjay Kumar Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Palmer, “New horizons in drug metabolism, pharmacokinetics and drug discovery,” Drug News & Perspectives, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2003.
- C. A. Lipinski, “Drug-like properties and the causes of poor solubility and poor permeability,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 235–249, 2000.
- G. L. Amidon, H. Lennernas, V. P. Shah, and J. R. Crison, “A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 413–420, 1995.
- M. S. Muthu and S. Singh, “Studies on biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles of risperidone: in vitro and in vivo evaluation,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 305–319, 2008.
- M. K. Rawat, A. Jain, and S. Singh, “Studies on binary lipid matrix based solid lipid nanoparticles of repaglinide: in vitro and in vivo evaluation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 2366–2378, 2011.
- S. D. Yoo, S.-H. Lee, E. Kang et al., “Bioavailability of itraconazole in rats and rabbits after administration of tablets containing solid dispersion particles,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 2000.
- R. Holm, A. Müllertz, E. Christensen, C.-E. Høy, and H. G. Kristensen, “Comparison of total oral bioavailability and the lymphatic transport of halofantrine from three different unsaturated triglycerides in lymph-cannulated conscious rats,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 331–337, 2001.
- P. C. de Smidt, M. A. Campanero, and I. F. Trocóniz, “Intestinal absorption of penclomedine from lipid vehicles in the conscious rat: contribution of emulsification versus digestibility,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 270, no. 1-2, pp. 109–118, 2004.
- V. Pokharkar, M. Kutwal, and L. Mandpe, “Pioglitazone solid dispersion system prepared by spray drying method: in vitro and in vivo evaluation,” PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, vol. 67, pp. 23–34, 2013.
- P. Balakrishnan, B.-J. Lee, D. H. Oh et al., “Enhanced oral bioavailability of Coenzyme Q10 by self-emulsifying drug delivery systems,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 374, no. 1-2, pp. 66–72, 2009.
- P. Utreja, S. Jain, S. Yadav, K. L. Khandhuja, and A. K. Tiwary, “Efficacy and toxicological studies of Cremophor EL free alternative paclitaxel formulation,” Current Drug Safety, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 329–338, 2011.
- A. R. Patel and P. R. Vavia, “Preparation and in vivo evaluation of SMEDDS (self-microemulsifying drug delivery system) containing fenofibrate,” The AAPS Journal, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. E344–E352, 2007.
- E. Atef and A. A. Belmonte, “Formulation and in vitro and in vivo characterization of a phenytoin self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS),” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 257–263, 2008.
- S. A. Charman, W. N. Charman, M. C. Rogge, T. D. Wilson, F. J. Dutko, and C. W. Pouton, “Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: formulation and biopharmaceutic evaluation of an investigational lipophilic compound,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 87–93, 1992.
- W. Wu, Y. Wang, and L. Que, “Enhanced bioavailability of silymarin by self-microemulsifying drug delivery system,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 288–294, 2006.
- S. Nazzal and M. A. Khan, “Controlled release of a self-emulsifying formulation from a tablet dosage form: stability assessment and optimization of some processing parameters,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 315, no. 1-2, pp. 110–121, 2006.
- T. Yi, J. Wan, H. Xu, and X. Yang, “A new solid self-microemulsifying formulation prepared by spray-drying to improve the oral bioavailability of poorly water soluble drugs,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 439–444, 2008.
- Z. Wang, J. Sun, Y. Wang et al., “Solid self-emulsifying nitrendipine pellets: preparation and in vitro/in vivo evaluation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 383, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- V. Jannin, J. Musakhanian, and D. Marchaud, “Approaches for the development of solid and semi-solid lipid-based formulations,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 734–746, 2008.
- B. Tang, G. Cheng, J.-C. Gu, and C.-H. Xu, “Development of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: preparation techniques and dosage forms,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 13, no. 13-14, pp. 606–612, 2008.
- L. Criscione, M. de Gasparo, P. Buhlmayer, S. Whitebread, H.-P. R. Ramjoue, and J. Wood, “Pharmacological profile of valsartan: a potent, orally active, nonpeptide antagonist of the angiotensin II AT1-receptor subtype,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 761–771, 1993.
- R. Dina and M. Jafari, “Angiotensin II-receptor antagonists: an overview,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 57, no. 13, pp. 1231–1241, 2000.
- G. Flesch, P. Müller, and P. Lloyd, “Absolute bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of valsartan, an angiotensin II receptor antagonist, in man,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 115–120, 1997.
- R. Löbenberg and G. L. Amidon, “Modern bioavailability, bioequivalence and biopharmaceutics classification system. New scientific approaches to international regulatory standards,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2000.
- B. Cappello, C. Di Maio, M. Iervolino, and A. Miro, “Improvement of solubility and stability of valsartan by hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin,” Journal of Inclusion Phenomena, vol. 54, no. 3-4, pp. 289–294, 2006.
- N. Pravin, A. Babasaheb, D. Neha, K. Vilasrao, and H. Rajashree, “Solid state characterization of the inclusion complex of valsartan with methyl β-cyclodextrin,” Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 377–383, 2009.
- A. R. Dixit, S. J. Rajput, and S. G. Patel, “Preparation and bioavailability assessment of SMEDDS containing valsartan,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 314–321, 2010.
- D. Patel and K. K. Sawant, “Oral bioavailability enhancement of acyclovir by self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (SMEDDS),” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1318–1326, 2007.
- L. Wei, P. Sun, S. Nie, and W. Pan, “Preparation and evaluation of SEDDS and SMEDDS containing carvedilol,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 785–794, 2005.
- S. R. Schaffazick, A. R. Pohlmann, T. Dalla-Costa, and S. S. Guterres, “Freeze-drying polymeric colloidal suspensions: nanocapsules, nanospheres and nanodispersion. A comparative study,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 501–505, 2003.
- D. Q. M. Craig, S. A. Barker, D. Banning, and S. W. Booth, “An investigation into the mechanisms of self-emulsification using particle size analysis and low frequency dielectric spectroscopy,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 1995.
- S.-M. Khoo, A. J. Humberstone, C. J. H. Porter, G. A. Edwards, and W. N. Charman, “Formulation design and bioavailability assessment of lipidic self- emulsifying formulations of halofantrine,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 167, no. 1-2, pp. 155–164, 1998.
- S. Shafiq, F. Shakeel, S. Talegaonkar, F. J. Ahmad, R. K. Khar, and M. Ali, “Development and bioavailability assessment of ramipril nanoemulsion formulation,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 227–243, 2007.
- E. C. Abdullah and D. Geldart, “The use of bulk density measurements as flowability indicators,” Powder Technology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 151–165, 1999.
- M. Wormsbecker and T. Pugsley, “The influence of moisture on the fluidization behaviour of porous pharmaceutical granule,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 63, no. 16, pp. 4063–4069, 2008.
- B. Singh, T. Kaur, and S. Singh, “Correction of raw dissolution data for loss of drug and volume during sampling,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 196–199, 1997.
- D. X. Li, Y. D. Yan, D. H. Oh et al., “Development of valsartan-loaded gelatin microcapsule without crystal change using hydroxypropylmethylcellulose as a stabilizer,” Drug Delivery, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 322–329, 2010.
- C. W. Pouton, “Lipid formulations for oral administration of drugs: non-emulsifying, self-emulsifying and “self-microemulsifying” drug delivery systems,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 11, supplement 2, pp. S93–S98, 2000.
- C. R. F. Souza and W. P. Oliveira, “Powder properties and system behavior during spray drying of Bauhinia forficata link extract,” Drying Technology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 735–749, 2006.