- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 910459, 6 pages
Cytotoxicity Testing of Temporary Luting Cements with Two- and Three-Dimensional Cultures of Bovine Dental Pulp-Derived Cells
1Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, 42075 Konya, Turkey
2Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
3Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Inonu University, 44280 Malatya, Turkey
4Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Kırıkkale University, 71100 Kırıkkale, Turkey
Received 19 April 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Andre Van Wijnen
Copyright © 2013 Hayriye Esra Ülker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Chandra, S. Chandra, and G. Chandra, Textbook of Operative Dentistry, Jaypee Brothers Medical, New Delhi, India, 1st edition, 2007.
- J. C. V. Ribeiro, P. G. Coelho, M. N. Janal, N. R. F. A. Silva, A. J. Monteiro, and C. A. O. Fernandes, “The influence of temporary cements on dental adhesive systems for luting cementation,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 255–262, 2011.
- S. J. Paul and P. Schärer, “Effect of provisional cements on the bond strength of various adhesive bonding systems on dentine,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 1997.
- P. Baldissara, G. Comin, F. Martone, and R. Scotti, “Comparative study of the marginal microleakage of six cements in fixed provisional crowns,” The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 417–422, 1998.
- S. F. Rosenstiel, M. F. Land, and J. Fujimoto, Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics, Mosby Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 4th edition, 2006.
- P. S. Olin, J. D. Rudney, and E. M. Hill, “Retentive strength of six temporary dental cements,” Quintessence international, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 197–200, 1990.
- P. P. C. Souza, A. M. F. Aranha, J. Hebling, E. M. A. Giro, and C. A. D. S. Costa, “In vitro cytotoxicity and in vivo biocompatibility of contemporary resin-modified glass-ionomer cements,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 838–844, 2006.
- A. Bakopoulou, D. Mourelatos, A. S. Tsiftsoglou, N. P. Giassin, E. Mioglou, and P. Garefis, “Genotoxic and cytotoxic effects of different types of dental cement on normal cultured human lymphocytes,” Mutation Research, vol. 672, no. 2, pp. 103–112, 2009.
- H. E. Ülker and A. Şengün, “Cytotoxicity evaluation of self adhesive composite resin cements by dentin barrier test on 3d pulp cells,” European Journal of Dentistry, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 120–126, 2009.
- N. Kong, T. Jiang, Z. Zhou, and J. Fu, “Cytotoxicity of polymerized resin cements on human dental pulp cells in vitro,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1371–1375, 2009.
- M. Schmid-Schwap, A. Franz, F. König et al., “Cytotoxicity of four categories of dental cements,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 360–368, 2009.
- C. A. S. Costa, J. Hebling, and R. C. Randall, “Human pulp response to resin cements used to bond inlay restorations,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 954–962, 2006.
- B. Bagis, P. Atilla, N. Cakar, and U. Hasanreisoglu, “An immunohistochemical evaluation of cell adhesion molecules in human dental pulp after tooth preparation and application of temporary luting cements,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 137–144, 2009.
- International Organization for Standardization, “Biological evaluation of medical devices—part 12: sample preparation and reference materials,” ISO, 10993-12:2007, Case postal 56, CH-1211 Geneva 20, Switzerland, 2007.
- B. Thonemann and G. Schmalz, “Immortalization of bovine dental papilla cells with simian virus 40 large t antigen,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 857–869, 2000.
- G. Schmalz, U. Schuster, B. Thonemann, M. Barth, and S. Esterbauer, “Dentin barrier test with transfected bovine pulp-derived cells,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 96–102, 2001.
- G. Schmalz, “Use of cell cultures for toxicity testing of dental materials-advantages and limitations,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 22, supplement 2, pp. S6–S11, 1994.
- W. Geurtsen, “Biocompatibility of resin-modified filling materials,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 333–355, 2000.
- B. Thonemann and G. Schmalz, “Bovine dental papilla-derived cells immortalized with H PV 18 E6/E7,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 432–441, 2000.
- G. Schmalz, “Cytotoxicity testing with three-dimensional cultures of transfected pulp-derived cells,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 259–265, 2001.
- G. Schmalz, U. Schuster, A. Koch, and H. Schweikl, “Cytotoxicity of low pH dentin-bonding agents in a dentin barrier test in vitro,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 188–192, 2002.
- M. Demirci, K.-A. Hiller, C. Bosl, K. Galler, G. Schmalz, and H. Schweikl, “The induction of oxidative stress, cytotoxicity, and genotoxicity by dental adhesives,” Dental Materials, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 362–371, 2008.
- W. R. Hume, “Influence of dentine on the pulpward release of eugenol or acids from restorative materials,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 469–473, 1994.
- C. T. Hanks, J. C. Wataha, R. R. Parsell, S. E. Strawn, and J. C. Fat, “Permeability of biological and synthetic molecules through dentine,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 475–487, 1994.
- G. Schmalz, M. Hoffmann, K. Weis, and H. Schweikl, “Influence of albumin and collagen on the cell mortality evoked by zinc oxide-eugenol in vitro,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 284–287, 2000.
- S. D. Meryon and K. J. Jakeman, “Uptake of zinc and fluoride by several dentin components,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 127–135, 1987.
- K. Galler, K.-A. Hiller, T. Ettl, and G. Schmalz, “Selective influence of dentin thickness upon cytotoxicity of dentin contacting materials,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 396–399, 2005.
- K. L. Van Landuyt, B. Geebelen, M. Shehata et al., “No evidence for DNA double-strand breaks caused by endodontic sealers,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 636–641, 2012.
- W. R. Hirschman, M. A. Wheater, J. S. Bringas, and M. M. Hoen, “Cytotoxicity comparison of three current direct pulp-capping agents with a new bioceramic root repair putty,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 385–388, 2012.
- S. E. A. Camargo, C. H. R. Camargo, K.-A. Hiller, S. M. Rode, H. Schweikl, and G. Schmalz, “Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of pulp capping materials in two cell lines,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 227–237, 2009.
- B. Sunzel, T. A. Söderberg, A. Johansson, G. Hallmans, and R. Gref, “The protective effect of zinc on rosin and resin acid toxicity in human polymorphonuclear leukocytes and human gingival fibroblasts in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 20–28, 1997.
- S. Kurata, K. Morishita, T. Kawase, and K. Umemoto, “Cytotoxic effects of acrylic acid, methacrylic acid, their corresponding saturated carboxylic acids, HEMA, and hydroquinone on fibroblasts derived from human pulp,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 219–225, 2012.