- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 912413, 9 pages
Factors Affecting Graft Survival among Patients Receiving Kidneys from Live Donors: A Single-Center Experience
1Department of Urology , The Urology & Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt
2Division of Nephrology, The Urology & Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt
3Division of Immunology , The Urology & Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt
4Division of Pathology, The Urology & Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt
Received 27 April 2013; Revised 11 June 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: Gerald Brandacher
Copyright © 2013 Mohamed A. Ghoneim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Ghoneim, M. A. Sobh, A. A. Shokeir, et al., “Prospective randomized study of azathioprine versus cyclosporin in live-donor kidney transplantation,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 437–441, 1993.
- M. A. Ghoneim, M. A. Sobh, A. A. Shokeir, M. A. Bakr, A. El-Sherif, and M. A. Foda, “Prospective randomized study of triple Vs conventional immunosuppression in living-donor kidney transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 2243–2245, 1993.
- A. H. Nematalla, M. A. Bakr, O. A. Gheith, et al., “Steroid-avoidance immunosuppression regimen in live-donor renal allotransplant recipients: a prospective, randomized controlled study,” Experimental and Clinical Transplantation, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 673–679, 2007.
- A. F. Hamdy, M. A. Bakr, and M. A. Ghoneim, “Long-term efficacy and safety of a calcineurin inhibitor-free regimen in live-donor renal transplant recipients,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1225–1232, 2008.
- J. E. Tuttle-Newhall, S. M. Krishnan, M. F. Levy, et al., “Organ donation and utilization in the United States: 1998–2007,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 4, part 2, pp. 879–893, 2009.
- DSO report on organ donation and transplantation in Germany 2000, pp. 45-46.
- S. Lee, J. Kim, M. Shin et al., “Comparison of outcomes of living and deceased donor kidney grafts surviving longer than 5 years in Korea,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 775–777, 2010.
- J. I. Roodnat, I. C. van Riemsdijk, P. G. H. Mulder et al., “The superior results of living-donor renal transplantation are not completely caused by selection or short cold ischemia time: a single-center, multivariate analysis,” Transplantation, vol. 75, no. 12, pp. 2014–2018, 2003.
- S. V. Fuggle, J. E. Allen, R. J. Johnson et al., “Factors affecting graft and patient survival after live donor kidney transplantation in the UK,” Transplantation, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 694–701, 2010.
- J. A. Lowell, D. C. Brennan, S. Shenoy et al., “Living-unrelated renal transplantation provides comparable results to living-related renal transplantation: a 12-year single-center experience,” Surgery, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 538–543, 1996.
- Y. Futagawa, K. Waki, D. W. Gjertson, and P. I. Terasaki, “Living-unrelated donors yield higher graft survival rates than parental donors,” Transplantation, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 1169–1174, 2005.
- M. El-Mekresh, Y. Osman, B. Ali-El-Dein, T. El-Diasty, and M. A. Ghoneim, “Urological complications after living-donor renal transplantation,” BJU International, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 295–306, 2001.
- N. Issa, B. Stephany, R. Fatica et al., “Donor factors influencing graft outcomes in live donor kidney transplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 593–599, 2007.
- K. Noppakun, F. G. Cosio, P. G. Dean, S. J. Taler, R. Wauters, and J. P. Grande, “Living donor age and kidney transplant outcomes,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1279–1286, 2011.
- L. S. Peña De La Vega, A. Torres, H. E. Bohorquez et al., “Patient and graft outcomes from older living kidney donors are similar to those from younger donors despite lower GFR,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1654–1661, 2004.
- M. A. Ghoneim, M. A. Bakr, N. Hassan et al., “Live-donor renal transplantation at the Urology & Nephrology Center of Mansoura: 1976–1998,” Clinical Transplants, pp. 167–178, 2001.
- Collaborative Transplant Study, University of Heidelberg, Germany, January 2012, http://www.ctstransplant.org.
- R. Weimer, S. Deisz, H. Dietrich et al., “Impact of maintenance immunosuppressive regimens-balance between graft protective suppression of immune functions and a near physiological immune response,” Transplant International, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 596–609, 2011.
- B. Nashan, R. Moore, P. Amlot, A. G. Schmidt, K. Abeywickrama, and J. P. Soulillou, “Randomised trial of basiliximab versus placebo for control of acute cellular rejection in renal allograft recipients,” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9086, pp. 1193–1198, 1997.
- P. A. Keown, R. Balshaw, S. Khorasheh et al., “Meta-analysis of basiliximab for immunoprophylaxis in renal transplantation,” BioDrugs, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 271–279, 2003.
- H. A. Sheashaa, M. A. Bakr, R. H. Rashad, A. M. Ismail, M. A. Sobh, and M. A. Ghoneim, “Ten-year follow-up of basiliximab induction therapy for live-donor kidney transplant: a prospective randomized controlled study,” Experimental and Clinical Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 247–251, 2011.
- I. Lemieux, I. Houde, A. Pascot et al., “Effects of prednisone withdrawal on the new metabolic triad in cyclosporine-treated kidney transplant patients,” Kidney International, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1839–1847, 2002.
- G. Opelz, B. Döhler, G. Laux, and Collaborative Transplant Study, “Long-term prospective study of steroid withdrawal in kidney and heart transplant recipients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 5, no. 4 I, pp. 720–728, 2005.
- E. S. Woodle, M. R. First, J. Pirsch et al., “A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter trial comparing early (7 day) corticosteroid cessation versus long-term, low-dose corticosteroid therapy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 248, no. 4, pp. 564–577, 2008.
- A. Lightner, W. Concepcion, and P. Grimm, “Steroid avoidance in renal transplantation,” Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 477–482, 2011.
- J. Pascual, “Steroid avoidance or withdrawal in kidney transplantation,” Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 600–605, 2011.
- S. R. Knight and P. J. Morris, “Steroid avoidance or withdrawal after renal transplantation increases the risk of acute rejection but decreases cardiovascular risk. A meta-analysis,” Transplantation, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2010.
- G. Remuzzi and N. Perico, “Cyclosporine-induced renal dysfunction in experimental animals and humans,” Kidney International, vol. 52, pp. S70–S74, 1995.
- B. D. Myers and L. Newton, “Cyclosporine-induced chronic nephropathy: an obliterative microvascular renal injury,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 2, supplement 1, pp. S45–S52, 1991.
- B. J. Nankivell, R. J. Borrows, C. L. Fung, P. J. O'Connell, R. D. M. Allen, and J. R. Chapman, “The natural history of chronic allograft nephropathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 24, pp. 2326–2333, 2003.
- A. F. Refaie, K. M. Mahmoud, A. M. Ismail, H. A. Sheashaa, A. I. Kamal, and M. A. Ghoneim, “Alemtuzumab preconditioning allows steroid-calcineurin inhibitor-free regimen in live-donor kidney transplant,” Experimental and Clinical Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 295–301, 2011.
- A. F. Donia, A. Mostafa, H. Refaie, M. El-Baz, M. M. Kamal, and M. A. Ghoneim, “Postkidney transplant malignancy in Egypt has a unique pattern: a three-decade experience,” Transplantation, vol. 86, no. 8, pp. 1139–1142, 2008.