- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 912458, 8 pages
New Guar Biopolymer Silver Nanocomposites for Wound Healing Applications
Department of Chemical Technology, University of Calcutta, 92 A.P.C. Road, Kolkata, West Bengal 700009, India
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 10 August 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editor: Antonio Salgado
Copyright © 2013 Runa Ghosh Auddy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. F. Diegelmann and M. C. Evans, “Wound healing: an overview of acute, fibrotic and delayed healing,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 9, pp. 283–289, 2004.
- T. Velnar, T. Bailey, and V. Smrkolj, “The wound healing process: an overview of the cellular and molecular mechanisms,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1528–1542, 2009.
- H. R. P. Naik, H. S. B. Naik, T. R. R. Naik et al., “Synthesis of novel benzo[h]quinolines: wound healing, antibacterial, DNA binding and in vitro antioxidant activity,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 981–989, 2009.
- S. Guo and L. A. DiPietro, “Critical review in oral biology & medicine: factors affecting wound healing,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 219–229, 2010.
- R. Jayakumar, M. Prabaharan, P. T. Sudheesh Kumar, S. V. Nair, and H. Tamura, “Biomaterials based on chitin and chitosan in wound dressing applications,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 322–337, 2011.
- P. Wang, G. Gong, Y. Li, and J. Li, “Hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 augments healing of colonic anastomosis in a rat model of peritonitis,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 199, no. 2, pp. 232–239, 2010.
- S. Thakur, G. S. Chauhan, and J.-H. Ahn, “Synthesis of acryloyl guar gum and its hydrogel materials for use in the slow release of l-DOPA and l-tyrosine,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 513–520, 2009.
- C. A. Haynes and E. Lorimer, “Solid polysaccharide materials for use as wound dressings,” US Patent 6309661, 2001.
- M. Prabaharan, “Prospective of guar gum and its derivatives as controlled drug delivery systems,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 117–124, 2011.
- D. Das, T. Ara, S. Dutta, and A. Mukherjee, “New water resistant biomaterial biocide film based on guar gum,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 5878–5883, 2011.
- Q. Wu, H. Cao, Q. Luan et al., “Biomolecule-assisted synthesis of water-soluble silver nanoparticles and their biomedical applications,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 13, pp. 5882–5888, 2008.
- P. M. Arockianathan, S. Sekar, B. Kumaran, and T. P. Sastry, “Preparation, characterization and evaluation of biocomposite films containing chitosan and sago starch impregnated with silver nanoparticles,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 939–946, 2012.
- J. C. Grunlan, J. K. Choi, and A. Lin, “Antimicrobial behavior of polyelectrolyte multilayer films containing cetrimide and silver,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1149–1153, 2005.
- J.-W. Rhim, S.-I. Hong, H.-M. Park, and P. K. W. Ng, “Preparation and characterization of chitosan-based nanocomposite films with antimicrobial activity,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 16, pp. 5814–5822, 2006.
- A. Mohammed Fayaz, K. Balaji, M. Girilal, P. T. Kalaichelvan, and R. Venkatesan, “Mycobased synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their incorporation into sodium alginate films for vegetable and fruit preservation,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 14, pp. 6246–6252, 2009.
- B. T. Kanti, A. Biswajit, P. B. Nitai, B. Subahshree, and M. Biswapati, “Wound healing activity of human placental extracts in rats,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1113–1116, 2001.
- T. K. Biswas, L. N. Maity, and B. Mukherjee, “Wound healing potential of Pterocarpus santalinus Linn: a pharmacological evaluation,” International Journal of Low Extreme Wounds, vol. 3, pp. 143–150, 2004.
- K. H. Lee, “Studies on the mechanism of action of salicylate. II. Retardation of wound healing by aspirin,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1042–1043, 1968.
- J. L. Monaco and W. T. Lawrence, “Acute wound healing: an overview,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2003.
- P. Roy, S. Amdekar, A. Kumar, R. Singh, P. Sharma, and V. Singh, “In vivo antioxidative property, antimicrobial and wound healing activity of flower extracts of Pyrostegia venusta (Ker Gawl) Miers,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 186–192, 2012.
- W. C. Schneider, “Determination of nucleic acids in tissues by pentose analysis,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 3, pp. 680–684, 1957.
- K. Burton, “A study of the conditions and mechanism of the diphenylamine reaction for the colorimetric estimation of deoxyribonucleic acid,” The Biochemical Journal, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 315–323, 1956.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- J. F. Woessner Jr., “The determination of hydroxyproline in tissue and protein samples containing small proportions of this imino acid,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 440–447, 1961.
- J. Jain, S. Arora, J. M. Rajwade, P. Omray, S. Khandelwal, and K. M. Paknikar, “Silver nanoparticles in therapeutics: development of an antimicrobial gel formulation for topical use,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 1388–1401, 2009.
- M. Rai, A. Yadav, and A. Gade, “Silver nanoparticles as a new generation of antimicrobials,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 76–83, 2009.
- A. Mukherjee, “Cationic guar-gum alkyl amine, its derivatives and process of preparation thereof,” Patent 778/KOL/2010A, 2010.
- C. C. Yates, D. Whaley, R. Babu et al., “The effect of multifunctional polymer-based gels on wound healing in full thickness bacteria-contaminated mouse skin wound models,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 27, pp. 3977–3986, 2007.
- J. S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu et al., “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- X. Liu, P.-Y. Lee, C.-M. Ho et al., “Silver nanoparticles mediate differential responses in keratinocytes and fibroblasts during skin wound healing,” ChemMedChem, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 468–475, 2010.
- H. Kong and J. Jang, “Antibacterial properties of novel poly(methyl methacrylate) nanofiber containing silver nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 2051–2056, 2008.
- O. Ziv-Polat, M. Topaz, T. Brosh, and S. Margel, “Enhancement of incisional wound healing by thrombin conjugated iron oxide nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 741–747, 2010.
- K. H. L. Kwan, X. Liu, M. K. T. To, K. W. K. Yeung, C.-M. Ho, and K. K. Y. Wong, “Modulation of collagen alignment by silver nanoparticles results in better mechanical properties in wound healing,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 497–504, 2011.
- C. Mohanty, M. Das, and S. K. Sahoo, “Sustained wound healing activity of curcumin loaded oleic acid based polymeric Bandage in a rat model,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 9, pp. 2801–2811, 2012.
- E. A. Hayouni, K. Miled, S. Boubaker et al., “Hydroalcoholic extract based-ointment from Punica granatum L. peels with enhanced in vivo healing potential on dermal wounds,” Phytomedicine, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 976–984, 2011.
- B. S. Atiyeh, M. Costagliola, S. N. Hayek, and S. A. Dibo, “Effect of silver on burn wound infection control and healing: review of the literature,” Burns, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 139–148, 2007.