- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 914764, 6 pages
Mechanical Strength and Biocompatibility of Ultrafine-Grained Commercial Purity Titanium
1Centre for Advanced Hybrid Materials, Department of Materials Engineering, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
2WCU Hybrid Materials Program, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul 151-744, Republic of Korea
Received 3 April 2013; Accepted 6 June 2013
Academic Editor: Salvatore Sauro
Copyright © 2013 Yuri Estrin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. J. Rack and J. I. Qazi, “Titanium alloys for biomedical applications,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1269–1277, 2006.
- M. Niinomi and J. Mech, “Mechanical biocompatibilities of titanium alloys for biomedical applications,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 30–42, 2008.
- L. Zhang and T. J. Webster, “Nanotechnology and nanomaterials: promises for improved tissue regeneration,” Nano Today, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 66–80, 2009.
- M. Geetha, A. K. Singh, R. Asokamani, and A. K. Gogia, “Ti based biomaterials, the ultimate choice for orthopaedic implants—a review,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 397–425, 2009.
- D. M. Brunette, P. Tengvall, M. Textor, and P. Thomsen, Titanium in Medicine, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2003.
- K. Alvarez and H. Nakajima, “Metallic scaffolds for bone regeneration,” Materials, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 790–832, 2009.
- R. Z. Valiev, I. P. Semenova, E. Jakushina, et al., “Nanostructured SPD processed titanium for medical implants,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 584–586, pp. 49–54, 2008.
- R. Z. Valiev, I. P. Semenova, V. V. Latysh et al., “Nanostructured titanium for biomedical applications,” Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. B15–B17, 2008.
- Y. Estrin, C. Kasper, S. Diederichs, and R. Lapovok, “Accelerated growth of preosteoblastic cells on ultrafine grained titanium,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1239–1242, 2009.
- T. N. Kim, A. Balakrishnan, B. C. Lee et al., “In vitro biocompatibility of equal channel angular processed (ECAP) titanium,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 2, no. 3, article S06, pp. S117–S120, 2007.
- Y. Estrin, E. P. Ivanova, A. Michalska, V. K. Truong, R. Lapovok, and R. Boyd, “Accelerated stem cell attachment to ultrafine grained titanium,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 900–906, 2011.
- S. Faghihi, F. Azari, A. P. Zhilyaev, J. A. Szpunar, H. Vali, and M. Tabrizian, “Cellular and molecular interactions between MC3T3-E1 pre-osteoblasts and nanostructured titanium produced by high-pressure torsion,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 27, pp. 3887–3895, 2007.
- V. V. Stolyarov, L. Zeipper, B. Mingler, and M. Zehetbauer, “Influence of post-deformation on CP-Ti processed by equal channel angular pressing,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 476, no. 1-2, pp. 98–105, 2008.
- Y. Estrin and A. V. Vinogradov, “Extreme grain refinement by severe plastic deformation: a wealth of challenging science,” Acta Mater, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 782–817, 2013.
- Y. Estrin and A. Vinogradov, “Fatigue behaviour of light alloys with ultrafine grain structure produced by severe plastic deformation: an overview,” International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 898–907, 2010.
- V. K. Truong, S. Rundell, R. Lapovok et al., “Effect of ultrafine-grained titanium surfaces on adhesion of bacteria,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 925–937, 2009.
- S. Choudhary, K. M. Haberstroh, and T. J. Webster, “Enhanced functions of vascular cells on nanostructured Ti for improved stent applications,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1421–1430, 2007.
- A. C. H. Hänzi, I. Gerber, M. Schinhammer, J. F. L. Löffler, and P. J. Uggowitzer, “On the in vitro and in vivo degradation performance and biological response of new biodegradable Mg-Y-Zn alloys,” Acta Biomater, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 1824–1833, 2010.
- F. Toledo and G. M. Wahl, “Regulating the p53 pathway: in vitro hypotheses, in vivo veritas,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 909–923, 2006.
- D. Khang, J. Lu, C. Yao, K. M. Haberstroh, and T. J. Webster, “The role of nanometer and sub-micron surface features on vascular and bone cell adhesion on titanium,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 970–983, 2008.
- L. Le Guéhennec, A. Soueidan, P. Layrolle, and Y. Amouriq, “Surface treatments of titanium dental implants for rapid osseointegration,” Dental Materials, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 844–854, 2007.