- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 916218, 10 pages
Synthesis and Antimicrobial Activity of Silver-Doped Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles
1Department of Multifunctional Materials and Structures Laboratory, National Institute of Materials Physics, 105 Bis Atomistilor, P.O. Box MG 07, 077125 Magurele, Romania
2Faculty of Physics, University of Bucharest, 405 Atomistilor, CP MG-1, 077125 Magurele, Romania
3Microbiology Department, Faculty of Biology, University of Bucharest, Aleea Portocalelor 1-3, 60101 Bucharest, Romania
4EA 4592 Géoressources & Environnement, EGID, Universite Bordeaux, 1 Allée F. Daguin 18, 33607 Pessac Cedex, France
Received 22 September 2012; Revised 15 November 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Abdelwahab Omri
Copyright © 2013 Carmen Steluta Ciobanu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. N. Moore, “Do nanoparticles present ecotoxicological risks for the health of the aquatic environment?” Environment International, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 967–976, 2006.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Mädler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5761, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- B. P. Barnett, A. Arepally, P. V. Karmarkar et al., “Magnetic resonance-guided, real-time targeted delivery and imaging of magnetocapsules immunoprotecting pancreatic islet cells,” Nature Medicine, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 986–991, 2007.
- M. Lens, “Use of fullerenes in cosmetics,” Recent Patents on Biotechnology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 118–123, 2009.
- W. Tungittiplakorn, L. W. Lion, C. Cohen, and J. Y. Kim, “Engineered polymeric nanoparticles for soil remediation,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1605–1610, 2004.
- J. A. Dahl, B. L. S. Maddux, and J. E. Hutchison, “Toward greener nanosynthesis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 2228–2269, 2007.
- J. E. Hutchison, “Greener nanoscience: a proactive approach to advancing applications and reducing implications of nanotechnology,” ACS Nano, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 395–402, 2008.
- S. Jaiswal, B. Duffy, A. K. Jaiswal, N. Stobie, and P. McHale, “Enhancement of the antibacterial properties of silver nanoparticles using β-cyclodextrin as a capping agent,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 280–283, 2010.
- D. C. Tien, K. H. Tseng, C. Y. Liao, and T. T. Tsung, “Colloidal silver fabrication using the spark discharge system and its antimicrobial effect on Staphylococcus aureus,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 948–952, 2008.
- F. Martinez-Gutierrez, P. L. Olive, A. Banuelos et al., “Synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of antimicrobial and cytotoxic effect of silver and titanium nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 681–688, 2010.
- R. R. Khaydarov, R. A. Khaydarov, Y. Estrin, S. E. Evgrafova, T. Scheper, and C. Endres, Nanoparticles Risk and Benefits, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2008.
- T. Hamouda and J. R. Baker, “Antimicrobial mechanism of action of surfactant lipid preparations in enteric gram-negative bacilli,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 397–403, 2000.
- V. K. Sharma, R. A. Yngard, and Y. Lin, “Silver nanoparticles: green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 145, no. 1-2, pp. 83–96, 2009.
- H. Jiang, S. Manolache, A. C. L. Wong, and F. S. Denes, “Plasma-enhanced deposition of silver nanoparticles onto polymer and metal surfaces for the generation of antimicrobial characteristics,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 1411–1422, 2004.
- Q. L. Feng, J. Wu, G. Q. Chen, F. Z. Cui, T. N. Kim, and J. O. Kim, “A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus,” J Biomed Mater Res, vol. 52, pp. 662–668, 2000.
- S. K. Rastogi, V. J. Rutledge, C. Gibson, D. A. Newcombe, J. R. Branen, and A. L. Branen, “Ag colloids and Ag clusters over EDAPTMS-coated silica nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial activity against Escherichia coli,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 305–314, 2011.
- C. S. Ciobanu, F. Massuyeau, L. V. Constantin, and D. Predoi, “Structural and physical properties of antibacterial Ag-doped nano-hydroxyapatite synthesized at 100°C,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, article no. 613, 2011.
- M. Vallet-Regí and J. M. González-Calbet, “Calcium phosphates as substitution of bone tissues,” Progress in Solid State Chemistry, vol. 32, no. 1-2, pp. 1–31, 2004.
- A. Costescu, I. Pasuk, F. Ungureanu et al., “Physico-chemical properties of nano-sized hexagonal hydroxyapatite powder synthesized by Sol-Gel,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 989–1000, 2010.
- C. Limban and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Antibacterial activity of new dibenzoxepinone oximes with fluorine and trifluoromethyl group substituents,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, pp. 6432–6444, 2011.
- C. Limban, L. Marutescu, and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Synthesis, spectroscopic properties and antipathogenic activity of new thiourea derivatives,” Molecules, vol. 16, pp. 7593–7607, 2011.
- C. Saviuc, A. M. Grumezescu, A. Holban et al., “Phenotypical studies of raw and nanosystem embedded Eugenia carryophyllata buds essential oil antibacterial activity on Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus strains,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 111–118, 2011.
- M. C. Chifiriuc, R. Palade, and A. M. Israil, “Comparative analysis of disk diffusion and liquid medium microdillution methods fortesting the antibiotic susceptibility patterns of anaerobic bacterial strains isolated from intrabdominal infections,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 209–220, 2011.
- L. Marutescu, C. Limban, M. C. Chifiriuc, A. Missir -V, I. C. Chirita, and M. T. Caproiu, “Studies on the antimicrobial activity of new compounds containing thiourea function,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 236–241, 2011.
- A. M. Grumezescu, D. E. Mihaiescu, D. E. Mogoşanu et al., “In vitro assay of the antimicrobial activity of Fe3O4 and CoFe2O4/oleic acid—core/shell on clinical isolates of bacterial and fungal strains,” Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, Rapid Communications, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 1798–1801, 2010.
- C. Chifiriuc, V. Lazǎr, C. Bleotu et al., “Bacterial adherence to the cellular and inert substrate in the presence of CoFe2O4 and Fe3O4/oleic acid—core/shell,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2011.
- C. Saviuc, A. M. Grumezescu, E. Oprea et al., “Antifungal activity of some vegetal extracts on Candida biofilms developed on inert substratum,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 15–23, 2011.
- C. Saviuc, A. M. Grumezescu, M. C. Chifiriuc et al., “In vitro methods for the study of microbial biofilms,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 31–40, 2011.
- L. Lutterotti, “Total pattern fitting for the combined size-strain-stress-texture determination in thin film diffraction,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B, vol. 268, no. 3-4, pp. 334–340, 2010.
- N. C. Popa, “The (hkl) dependence of diffraction-line broadening caused by strain and size for all laue groups in rietveld refinement,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 176–180, 1998.
- S. Shanmugam, B. Viswanathan, and T. K. Varadarajan, “A novel single step chemical route for noble metal nanoparticles embedded organic-inorganic composite films,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 2006.
- D. Predoi, R. V. Ghita, F. Ungureanu, C. C. Negrila, R. A. Vatasescu-Balcan, and M. Costache, “Characteristics of hydroxyapatite thin films,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 3827–3831, 2007.
- D. Predoi, M. Barsan, E. Andronescu, R. A. Vatasescu-Balcan, and M. Costache, “Hydroxyapatite-iron oxide bioceramic prepared using nano-size powders,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3609–3613, 2007.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, F. Massuyeau, L. V. Constantin, A. Costescu, and D. Predoi, “Synthesis, structure and luminescent properties of europium doped hydroxyapatite nanocrystalline powders,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 942801, 9 pages, 2012.
- C. S. Ciobanu, E. Andronescu, B. S. Vasile, C. M. Valsangiacom, R. V. Ghita, and D. Predoi, “Looking for new synthesis of hydroxyapatite doped with europium,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 4, pp. 1515–1519, 2010.
- X. Bai, K. More, C. M. Rouleau, and A. Rabiei, “Functionally graded hydroxyapatite coatings doped with antibacterial components,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2264–2273, 2010.
- A. Doat, F. Pellé, N. Gardant, and A. Lebugle, “Synthesis of luminescent bioapatite nanoparticles for utilization as a biological probe,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 177, no. 4-5, pp. 1179–1187, 2004.
- J. C. Elliott, Structure and Chemistry of the Apatites and other Calcium Orthophosphates, Elsevier Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1994.
- J. Díaz-Visurraga, C. Gutiérrez, C. von Plessing, and A. García, “Metal nanostructures as antibacterial agents. Science against microbial pathogens: communicating current research and technological advances,” FORMATEX, vol. 3, pp. 210–218, 2011.
- H.-W. Wang, Y. Chen, H. Yang et al., “Ring-like pore structures of SecA: implication for bacterial protein-conducting channels,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 4221–4226, 2003.
- V. Lazar and C. Chifiriuc, “Medical significance and new therapeutical strategies for biofilm associated infections,” Roumanian Archives of Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 69, pp. 125–138, 2010.
- V. Lazǎr and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Architecture and physiology of microbial biofilms,” Roumanian archives of microbiology and immunology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 95–107, 2010.
- A. R. Shahverdi, A. Fakhimi, H. R. Shahverdi, and S. Minaian, “Synthesis and effect of silver nanoparticles on the antibacterial activity of different antibiotics against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 168–171, 2007.
- M. Guzman, J. Dille, and S. Godet, “Synthesis and antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 2012.
- F. Mirzajani, A. Ghassempour, A. Aliahmadi, and M. A. Esmaeili, “Antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles on Staphylococcus aureus,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 162, no. 5, pp. 542–549, 2011.