- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 918136, 13 pages
Transcriptional Profiling of Canker-Resistant Transgenic Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis Osbeck) Constitutively Overexpressing a Spermidine Synthase Gene
1Key Laboratory of Horticultural Plant Biology (MOE), National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, College of Horticulture and Forestry Sciences, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
2Citrus Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Southwest University, Chongqing 400712, China
Received 29 July 2012; Revised 23 September 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editor: Juan Francisco Jiménez Bremont
Copyright © 2013 Xing-Zheng Fu and Ji-Hong Liu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Brunings and D. W. Gabriel, “Xanthomonas citri: breaking the surface,” Molecular Plant Pathology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 141–157, 2003.
- J. H. Graham, T. R. Gottwald, J. Cubero, and D. S. Achor, “Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citri: factors affecting successful eradication of citrus canker,” Molecular Plant Pathology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2004.
- A. K. Das, “Citrus canker—a review,” Journal of Applied Horticulture, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 52–60, 2003.
- J. M. Barbosa-Mendes, F. D. A. A. M. Filho, A. B. Filho, R. Harakava, S. V. Beer, and B. M. J. Mendes, “Genetic transformation of Citrus sinensis cv. Hamlin with hrpN gene from Erwinia amylovora and evaluation of the transgenic lines for resistance to citrus canker,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2009.
- B. M. J. Mendes, S. C. Cardoso, R. L. Boscariol-Camargo, R. B. Cruz, F. A. A. Mourão Filho, and A. B. Filho, “Reduction in susceptibility to Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citri in transgenic Citrus sinensis expressing the rice Xa21 gene,” Plant Pathology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 2010.
- X. Z. Fu, C. W. Chen, Y. Wang, J. H. Liu, and T. Moriguchi, “Ectopic expression of MdSPDS1 in sweet orange (Citrus sinensis Osbeck) reduces canker susceptibility: involvement of H2O2 production and transcriptional alteration,” BMC Plant Biology, vol. 11, article 55, 2011.
- T. Cowley and D. R. Walters, “Polyamine metabolism in barley reacting hypersensitively to the powdery mildew fungus Blumeria graminis f. sp. hordei,” Plant Cell and Environment, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 461–468, 2002.
- M. Rodríguez-Kessler, O. A. Ruiz, S. Maiale, J. Ruiz-Herrera, and J. F. Jiménez-Bremont, “Polyamine metabolism in maize tumors induced by Ustilago maydis,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 8-9, pp. 805–814, 2008.
- H. Yoda, Y. Yamaguchi, and H. Sano, “Induction of hypersensitive cell death by hydrogen peroxide produced through polyamine degradation in tobacco plants,” Plant Physiology, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 1973–1981, 2003.
- P. N. Moschou, P. F. Sarris, N. Skandalis et al., “Engineered polyamine catabolism preinduces tolerance of tobacco to bacteria and oomycetes,” Plant Physiology, vol. 149, no. 4, pp. 1970–1981, 2009.
- H. Yamakawa, H. Kamada, M. Satoh, and Y. Ohashi, “Spermine is a salicylate-independent endogenous inducer for both tobacco acidic pathogenesis-related proteins and resistance against tobacco mosaic virus infection,” Plant Physiology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 1213–1222, 1998.
- M. Marina, S. J. Maiale, F. R. Rossi et al., “Apoplastic polyamine oxidation plays different roles in local responses of tobacco to infection by the necrotrophic fungus Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and the biotrophic bacterium Pseudomonas viridiflava,” Plant Physiology, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 2164–2178, 2008.
- L. Lazzarato, G. Trebbi, C. Pagnucco, C. Franchin, P. Torrigiani, and L. Betti, “Exogenous spermidine, arsenic and β-aminobutyric acid modulate tobacco resistance to tobacco mosaic virus, and affect local and systemic glucosylsalicylic acid levels and arginine decarboxylase gene expression in tobacco leaves,” Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 90–100, 2009.
- Y. Mitsuya, Y. Takahashi, T. Berberich et al., “Spermine signaling plays a significant role in the defense response of Arabidopsis thaliana to cucumber mosaic virus,” Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 166, no. 6, pp. 626–643, 2009.
- Y. Takahashi, T. Berberich, A. Miyazaki, S. Seo, Y. Ohashi, and T. Kusano, “Spermine signalling in tobacco: activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases by spermine is mediated through mitochondrial dysfunction,” The Plant Journal, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 820–829, 2003.
- Y. Takahashi, Y. Uehara, T. Berberich et al., “A subset of hypersensitive response marker genes, including HSR203J, is the downstream target of a spermine signal transduction pathway in tobacco,” The Plant Journal, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 586–595, 2004.
- G. H. M. Sagor, R. Z. Cong, T. Berberich, H. Takahashi, Y. Takahashi, and T. Kusano, “Spermine signaling in defense reaction against avirulent viral pathogen in Arabidopsis thaliana,” Plant Signaling and Behavior, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 316–318, 2009.
- M. E. Gonzalez, F. Marco, E. G. Minguet, et al., “Perturbation of Spermine synthase gene expression and transcript profiling provide new insights on the role of the tetraamine spermine in Arabidopsis defense against Pseudomonas viridiflava,” Plant Physiology, vol. 156, pp. 2266–2277, 2011.
- A. Conesa, S. Götz, J. M. García-Gómez, J. Terol, M. Talón, and M. Robles, “Blast2GO: a universal tool for annotation, visualization and analysis in functional genomics research,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 3674–3676, 2005.
- L. J. Pillitteri, C. J. Lovatt, and L. L. Walling, “Isolation and characterization of LEAFY and APETALA1 homologues from Citrus sinensis L. Osbeck ‘Washington’,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 846–856, 2004.
- Y. Z. Liu, Q. Liu, N. G. Tao, and X. X. Deng, “Efficient isolation of RNA from fruit peel and pulp of ripening navel orange (Citrus sinensis Osbeck),” Journal of Huazhong Agricultural University, vol. 25, pp. 300–304, 2006.
- R. A. Cernadas, L. R. Camillo, and C. E. Benedetti, “Transcriptional analysis of the sweet orange interaction with the citrus canker pathogens Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citri and Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. aurantifolii,” Molecular Plant Pathology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 609–631, 2008.
- W. Miao, X. Wang, C. Song, Y. Wang, Y. Ren, and J. Wang, “Transcriptome analysis of Hpa1(Xoo) transformed cotton revealed constitutive expression of genes in multiple signalling pathways related to disease resistance,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 61, no. 15, pp. 4263–4275, 2010.
- W. Sun, X. Xu, H. Zhu et al., “Comparative transcriptomic profiling of a salt-tolerant wild tomato species and a salt-sensitive tomato cultivar,” Plant and Cell Physiology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 997–1006, 2010.
- Y. Kasukabe, L. He, K. Nada, S. Misawa, I. Ihara, and S. Tachibana, “Overexpression of Spermidine synthase enhances tolerance to multiple environmental stresses and up-regulates the expression of various stress-regulated genes in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana,” Plant and Cell Physiology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 712–722, 2004.
- E. Peatman, J. Terhune, P. Baoprasertkul et al., “Microarray analysis of gene expression in the blue catfish liver reveals early activation of the MHC class I pathway after infection with Edwardsiella ictaluri,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 553–566, 2008.
- S. Nishiuchi, K. Fujihara, S. Liu, and T. Takano, “Analysis of expressed sequence tags from a NaHCO3-treated alkali-tolerant plant, Chloris virgata,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 247–255, 2010.
- N. S. Jwa, G. K. Agrawal, S. Tamogami et al., “Role ofdefense/stress-related marker genes, proteins andsecondary metabolites indefining rice self-defense mechanisms,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 5-6, pp. 261–273, 2006.
- J. Hejgaard, S. Jacobsen, and I. Svendsen, “Two antifungal thaumatin-like proteins from barley grain,” FEBS Letters, vol. 291, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 1991.
- E. Jongedijk, H. Tigelaar, J. S. C. van Roekel et al., “Synergistic activity of chitinases and β-1,3-glucanases enhances fungal resistance in transgenic tomato plants,” Euphytica, vol. 85, no. 1–3, pp. 173–180, 1995.
- M. Lusso and J. Kuć, “The effect of sense and antisense expression of the PR-N gene for β-1,3-glucanase on disease resistance of tobacco to fungi and viruses,” Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 267–283, 1996.
- R. Enrique, F. Siciliano, M. A. Favaro et al., “Novel demonstration of RNAi in citrus reveals importance of citrus callose synthase in defence against Xanthomonas citri subsp. citri,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 394–407, 2011.
- J. M. Park, C. J. Park, S. B. Lee, B. K. Ham, R. Shin, and K. H. Paek, “Overexpression of the tobacco Tsi1 gene encoding an EREBP/AP2-type transcription factor enhances resistance against pathogen attack and osmotic stress in tobacco,” Plant Cell, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1035–1046, 2001.
- G. Zhang, M. Chen, L. Li et al., “Overexpression of the soybean GmERF3 gene, an AP2/ERF type transcription factor for increased tolerances to salt, drought, and diseases in transgenic tobacco,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 60, no. 13, pp. 3781–3796, 2009.
- E. Martinoia, M. Klein, M. Geisler et al., “Multifunctionality of plant ABC transporters—more than just detoxifiers,” Planta, vol. 214, no. 3, pp. 345–355, 2002.
- S. Vorwerk, S. Somerville, and C. Somerville, “The role of plant cell wall polysaccharide composition in disease resistance,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 203–209, 2004.
- D. Cantu, A. R. Vicente, J. M. Labavitch, A. B. Bennett, and A. L. T. Powell, “Strangers in the matrix: plant cell walls and pathogen susceptibility,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 610–617, 2008.
- S. Lagaert, T. Beliën, and G. Volckaert, “Plant cell walls: protecting the barrier from degradation by microbial enzymes,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1064–1073, 2009.
- A. Ryan, “Protease inhibitors in plants: genes for improving defenses against insects and pathogens,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 28, pp. 425–449, 1990.
- M. Solomon, B. Belenghi, M. Delledonne, E. Menachem, and A. Levine, “The involvement of cysteine proteases and protease inhibitor genes in the regulation of programmed cell death in plants,” The Plant Cell, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 431–443, 1999.
- Q. Qin, C. W. Bergmann, J. K. C. Rose et al., “Characterization of a tomato protein that inhibits a xyloglucan-specific endoglucanase,” The Plant Journal, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 327–338, 2003.
- N. Juge, “Plant protein inhibitors of cell wall degrading enzymes,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 359–367, 2006.
- K. A. Marrs, “The functions and regulation of glutathione S-transferases in plants,” Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 127–158, 1996.
- J. D. Dean, P. H. Goodwin, and T. Hsiang, “Induction of glutathione S-transferase genes of Nicotiana benthamiana following infection by Colletotrichum destructivum and C. orbiculare and involvement of one in resistance,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 56, no. 416, pp. 1525–1533, 2005.
- M. Collinge and T. Boller, “Differential induction of two potato genes, Stprx2 and StNAC, in response to infection by Phytophthora infestans and to wounding,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 521–529, 2001.
- D. Hegedus, M. Yu, D. Baldwin et al., “Molecular characterization of Brassica napus NAC domain transcriptional activators induced in response to biotic and abiotic stress,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 383–397, 2003.
- T. Ren, F. Qu, and T. J. Morris, “HRT gene function requires interaction between a NAC protein and viral capsid protein to confer resistance to turnip crinkle virus,” The Plant Cell, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1917–1925, 2000.
- K. Nakashima, L. S. P. Tran, D. van Nguyen et al., “Functional analysis of a NAC-type transcription factor OsNAC6 involved in abiotic and biotic stress-responsive gene expression in rice,” The Plant Journal, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 617–630, 2007.
- Y. Yang and D. F. Klessig, “Isolation and characterization of a tobacco mosaic virus-inducible myb oncogene homolog from tobacco,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 25, pp. 14972–14977, 1996.
- F. Vailleau, X. Daniel, M. Tronchet, J. L. Montillet, C. Triantaphylidès, and D. Roby, “A R2R3-MYB gene, AtMYB30, acts as a positive regulator of the hypersensitive cell death program in plants in response to pathogen attack,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 15, pp. 10179–10184, 2002.
- S. D. Michaels and R. M. Amasino, “FLOWERING LOCUS C encodes a novel MADS domain protein that acts as a repressor of flowering,” The Plant Cell, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 949–956, 1999.
- P. T. Evans and R. L. Malmberg, “Do polyamines have roles in plant development,” Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 40, pp. 235–269, 1989.
- J. H. Liu and T. Moriguchi, “Changes in free polyamines and gene expression during peach flower development,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 530–532, 2007.
- M. R. B. Moghaddam and W. van den Ende, “Sugars and plant innate immunity,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 3989–3998, 2012.
- V. Singh and J. Shah, “Tomato responds to green peach aphid infestation with the activation of trehalose metabolism and starch accumulation,” Plant Signaling and Behavior, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 605–607, 2012.
- S. Ghanta and S. Chattopadhyay, “Glutathione as a signaling molecule another challenge to pathogens,” Plant Signaling and Behavior, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 783–788, 2011.
- K. Höller, L. Király, A. Künstler et al., “Enhanced glutathione metabolism is correlated with sulfur-induced resistance in tobacco mosaic virus-infected genetically susceptible Nicotiana tabacum plants,” Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1448–1459, 2010.
- M. A. Schuler and D. Werck-Reichhart, “Functional genomics of P450s,” Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 54, pp. 629–667, 2003.
- X. Z. Fu, X. Q. Gong, Y. X. Zhang, Y. Wang, and J. H. Liu, “Different transcriptional response to Xanthomonas citri subsp. citri between Kumquat and Sweet Orange with contrasting canker tolerance,” PLos one, vol. 7, no. 7, Article ID 0041790, 2012.
- M. A. Naoumkina, Q. Zhao, L. Gallego-Giraldo, X. Dai, P. X. Zhao, and R. A. Dixon, “Genome-wide analysis of phenylpropanoid defence pathways,” Molecular Plant Pathology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 829–846, 2010.
- R. Bari and J. D. G. Jones, “Role of plant hormones in plant defence responses,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 473–488, 2009.