- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 918640, 10 pages
Mechanostimulation Protocols for Cardiac Tissue Engineering
1BioEngLab, Health Science and Technology-Interdepartmental Center for Industrial Research (HST-CIRI),
University of Bologna, I-40064 Ozzano Emilia, Italy
2Department of Biomedical and Neuromotor Sciences (DIBINEM), University of Bologna, I-40126 Bologna, Italy
3Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Engineering “Silvio Cavalcanti,” Department of Electrical, Electronic, and Information Engineering “G. Marconi” (DEI), University of Bologna, I-47521 Cesena, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Christof Kolb
Copyright © 2013 Marco Govoni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Alcon, E. Cagavi Bozkulak, and Y. Qyang, “Regenerating functional heart tissue for myocardial repair,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 69, no. 16, pp. 2635–2656, 2012.
- S. V. Murphy and A. Atala, “Organ engineering—combining stem cells, biomaterials, and bioreactors to produce bioengineered organs for transplantation,” Bioessays, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 163–172, 2013.
- P. Lei, H. You, and S. T. Andreadis, “Bioengineered skin substitutes,” Organ Regeneration: Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1001, pp. 267–278, 2013.
- N. J. Panetta, D. M. Gupta, and M. T. Longaker, “Bone regeneration and repair,” Current Stem Cell Research and Therapy, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 122–128, 2010.
- F. Wang and J. Guan, “Cellular cardiomyoplasty and cardiac tissue engineering for myocardial therapy,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 7-8, pp. 784–797, 2010.
- R. Vono, G. Spinetti, M. Gubernator, and P. Madeddu, “What's new in regenerative medicine: split up of the mesenchymal stem cell family promises new hope for cardiovascular repair,” Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 689–699, 2012.
- T. Cashman, V. Gouon-Evans, and K. Costa, “Mesenchymal stem cells for cardiac therapy: practical challenges and potential mechanisms,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 254–265, 2013.
- R. J. Henning, “Stem cells in cardiac repair,” Future Cardiology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 99–117, 2011.
- A. Le Huu, S. Prakash, and D. Shum-Tim, “Cellular cardiomyoplasty: current state of the field,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 571–582, 2012.
- J. Tongers, D. W. Losordo, and U. Landmesser, “Stem and progenitor cell-based therapy in ischaemic heart disease: promise, uncertainties, and challenges,” European Heart Journal, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1197–1206, 2011.
- T. C. Doetschman, H. Eistetter, M. Katz, W. Schmidt, and R. Kemler, “The in vitro development of blastocyst-derived embryonic stem cell lines: formation of visceral yolk sac, blood islands and myocardium,” Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology, vol. 87, pp. 27–45, 1985.
- J. Nussbaum, E. Minami, M. A. Laflamme et al., “Transplantation of undifferentiated murine embryonic stem cells in the heart: teratoma formation and immune response,” FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1345–1357, 2007.
- K. Takahashi and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 663–676, 2006.
- C. Mauritz, K. Schwanke, M. Reppel et al., “Generation of functional murine cardiac myocytes from induced pluripotent stem cells,” Circulation, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 507–517, 2008.
- A. P. Beltrami, L. Barlucchi, D. Torella et al., “Adult cardiac stem cells are multipotent and support myocardial regeneration,” Cell, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 763–776, 2003.
- W. S. N. Shim, S. Jiang, P. Wong et al., “Ex vivo differentiation of human adult bone marrow stem cells into cardiomyocyte-like cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 324, no. 2, pp. 481–488, 2004.
- W. Chang, S. Lim, B. W. Song et al., “Phorbol myristate acetate differentiates human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells into functional cardiogenic cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 424, no. 4, pp. 740–746, 2012.
- A. Pasini, F. Bonafè, M. Govoni et al., “Epigenetic signature of early cardiac regulatory genes in native human adipose-derived stem cells,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2013.
- P. Jakob and U. Landmesser, “Current status of cell-based therapy for heart failure,” Current Heart Failure Reports, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 165–176, 2013.
- J. Lee and C. M. Terracciano, “Cell therapy for cardiac repair,” The British Medical Bulletin, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 65–80, 2010.
- K. Malliaras and E. Marbán, “Cardiac cell therapy: where weve been, where we are, and where we should be headed,” The British Medical Bulletin, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 161–185, 2011.
- H. Sekine, T. Shimizu, and T. Okano, “Myocardial tissue engineering: toward a bioartificial pump,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 347, no. 3, pp. 775–782, 2012.
- R. Tee, Z. Lokmic, W. A. Morrison, and R. J. Dilley, “Strategies in cardiac tissue engineering,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 683–693, 2010.
- C. Ceccaldi, S. G. Fullana, C. Alfarano et al., “Alginate scaffolds for mesenchymal stem cell cardiac therapy: influence of alginate composition,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1969–1984, 2012.
- G. Pasquinelli, C. Orrico, L. Foroni et al., “Mesenchymal stem cell interaction with a non-woven hyaluronan-based scaffold suitable for tissue repair,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 213, no. 5, pp. 520–530, 2008.
- C. Muscari, F. Bonafè, S. Martin-Suarez, et al., “Restored perfusion and reduced inflammation in the infarcted heart after grafting stem cells with a hyaluronan-based scaffold,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 518–530, 2013.
- E. Fiumana, G. Pasquinelli, L. Foroni et al., “Localization of mesenchymal stem cells grafted with a hyaluronan-based scaffold in the infarcted heart,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. e21–e29, 2013.
- C. Gualandi, M. Soccio, M. Govoni, et al., “Poly(butylene/diethylene glycol succinate) multiblock copolyester as a candidate biomaterial for soft tissue engineering: solid-state properties, degradability, and biocompatibility,” Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 244–264, 2012.
- K. Shapira, D. Dikovsky, M. Habib, L. Gepstein, and D. Seliktar, “Hydrogels for cardiac tissue regeneration,” Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, vol. 18, no. 4-5, pp. 309–314, 2008.
- W. Y. Yeong, N. Sudarmadji, H. Y. Yu et al., “Porous polycaprolactone scaffold for cardiac tissue engineering fabricated by selective laser sintering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2028–2034, 2010.
- J. P. Karam, C. Muscari, and C. N. Montero-Menei, “Combining adult stem cells and polymeric devices for tissue engineering in infarcted myocardium,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 23, pp. 5683–5695, 2012.
- G. de Santis, A. B. Lennon, F. Boschetti, B. Verhegghe, P. Verdonck, and P. J. Prendergast, “How can cells sense the elasticity of a substrate? An analysis using a cell tensegrity model,” European Cells & Materials, vol. 22, pp. 202–213, 2011.
- G. C. Engelmayr Jr., M. Cheng, C. J. Bettinger, J. T. Borenstein, R. Langer, and L. E. Freed, “Accordion-like honeycombs for tissue engineering of cardiac anisotropy,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1003–1010, 2008.
- A. J. Engler, S. Sen, H. L. Sweeney, and D. E. Discher, “Matrix elasticity directs stem cell lineage specification,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 677–689, 2006.
- H. C. Chen and Y. C. Hu, “Bioreactors for tissue engineering,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 28, no. 18, pp. 1415–1423, 2006.
- W. L. Grayson, T. P. Martens, G. M. Eng, M. Radisic, and G. Vunjak-Novakovic, “Biomimetic approach to tissue engineering,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 665–673, 2009.
- K. Takahashi, Y. Kakimoto, K. Toda, and K. Naruse, “Mechanobiology in cardiac physiology and diseases,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 225–232, 2013.
- H. H. Vandenburgh, R. Solerssi, J. Shansky, J. W. Adams, and S. A. Henderson, “Mechanical stimulation of organogenic cardiomyocyte growth in vitro,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 270, no. 5, pp. C1284–C1292, 1996.
- N. Bursac, M. Papadaki, R. J. Cohen et al., “Cardiac muscle tissue engineering: toward an in vitro model for electrophysiological studies,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 277, no. 2, part 2, pp. H433–H444, 1999.
- R. L. Carrier, M. Papadaki, M. Rupnick et al., “Cardiac tissue engineering: cell seeding, cultivation parameters, and tissue construct characterization,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 580–589, 1999.
- C. Fink, S. Ergün, D. Kralisch, U. Remmers, J. Weil, and T. Eschenhagen, “Chronic stretch of engineered heart tissue induces hypertrophy and functional improvement,” FASEB Journal, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 669–679, 2000.
- P. Akhyari, P. W. M. Fedak, R. D. Weisel et al., “Mechanical stretch regimen enhances the formation of bioengineered autologous cardiac muscle grafts,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 12, supplement 1, pp. I137–I142, 2002.
- W. Zimmermann, K. Schneiderbanger, P. Schubert et al., “Tissue engineering of a differentiated cardiac muscle construct,” Circulation Research, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 223–230, 2002.
- Y. Iijima, T. Nagai, M. Mizukami et al., “Beating is necessary for transdifferentiation of skeletal muscle-derived cells into cardiomyocytes,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1361–1363, 2003.
- M. Radisic, L. Yang, J. Boublik et al., “Medium perfusion enables engineering of compact and contractile cardiac tissue,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. H507–H516, 2004.
- J. Boublik, H. Park, M. Radisic et al., “Mechanical properties and remodeling of hybrid cardiac constructs made from heart cells, fibrin, and biodegradable, elastomeric knitted fabric,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 11, no. 7-8, pp. 1122–1132, 2005.
- Z. Feng, T. Matsumoto, Y. Nomura, and T. Nakamura, “An electro-tensile bioreactor for 3-D culturing of cardiomyocytes,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 73–79, 2005.
- E. Figallo, C. Cannizzaro, S. Gerecht et al., “Micro-bioreactor array for controlling cellular microenvironments,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 710–719, 2007.
- M. A. Brown, R. K. Iyer, and M. Radisic, “Pulsatile perfusion bioreactor for cardiac tissue engineering,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 907–920, 2008.
- S. J. Gwak, S. H. Bhang, I. K. Kim et al., “The effect of cyclic strain on embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 844–856, 2008.
- V. F. Shimko and W. C. Claycomb, “Effect of mechanical loading on three-dimensional cultures of embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2008.
- D. Ge, X. Liu, L. Li et al., “Chemical and physical stimuli induce cardiomyocyte differentiation from stem cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 381, no. 3, pp. 317–321, 2009.
- Y. Barash, T. Dvir, P. Tandeitnik, E. Ruvinov, H. Guterman, and S. Cohen, “Electric field stimulation integrated into perfusion bioreactor for cardiac tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1417–1426, 2010.
- H. Hosseinkhani, M. Hosseinkhani, S. Hattori, R. Matsuoka, and N. Kawaguchi, “Micro and nano-scale in vitro 3D culture system for cardiac stem cells,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- A. Salameh, A. Wustmann, S. Karl et al., “Cyclic mechanical stretch induces cardiomyocyte orientation and polarization of the gap junction protein connexin43,” Circulation Research, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 1592–1602, 2010.
- P. A. Galie and J. P. Stegemann, “Simultaneous application of interstitial flow and cyclic mechanical strain to a three-dimensional cell-seeded hydrogel,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 527–536, 2011.
- T. Hollweck, B. Akra, S. Häussler, et al., “A novel pulsatile bioreactor for mechanical stimulation of tissue engineered cardiac constructs,” Journal of Functional Biomaterials, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 107–118, 2011.
- H. Kenar, G. T. Kose, M. Toner, D. L. Kaplan, and V. Hasirci, “A 3D aligned microfibrous myocardial tissue construct cultured under transient perfusion,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 23, pp. 5320–5329, 2011.
- G. Kensah, I. Gruh, J. Viering et al., “A novel miniaturized multimodal bioreactor for continuous in situ assessment of bioartificial cardiac tissue during stimulation and maturation,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 463–473, 2011.
- T. M. Maul, D. W. Chew, A. Nieponice, and D. A. Vorp, “Mechanical stimuli differentially control stem cell behavior: morphology, proliferation, and differentiation,” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 939–953, 2011.
- N. L. Tulloch, V. Muskheli, M. V. Razumova et al., “Growth of engineered human myocardium with mechanical loading and vascular coculture,” Circulation Research, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2011.
- M. Govoni, F. Lotti, L. Biagiotti et al., “An innovative stand-alone bioreactor for the highly reproducible transfer of cyclic mechanical stretch to stem cells cultured in a 3D scaffold,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 2012.
- R. Maidhof, N. Tandon, E. J. Lee et al., “Biomimetic perfusion and electrical stimulation applied in concert improved the assembly of engineered cardiac tissue,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. e12–e23, 2012.
- M. Shachar, N. Benishti, and S. Cohen, “Effects of mechanical stimulation induced by compression and medium perfusion on cardiac tissue engineering,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1551–1559, 2012.
- M. Liu, S. Montazeri, T. Jedlovsky et al., “Bio-stretch, a computerized cell strain apparatus for three-dimensional organotypic cultures,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology—Animal, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 87–93, 1999.
- W. H. Zimmermann, I. Melnychenko, and T. Eschenhagen, “Engineered heart tissue for regeneration of diseased hearts,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1639–1647, 2004.
- W. H. Zimmermann, I. Melnychenko, G. Wasmeier et al., “Engineered heart tissue grafts improve systolic and diastolic function in infarcted rat hearts,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 452–458, 2006.
- B. S. Kim and D. J. Mooney, “Scaffolds for engineering muscle under cyclic mechanical strain conditions,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 210–215, 2000.
- A. J. Banes, J. Gilbert, D. Taylor, and O. Monbureau, “A new vacuum-operated stress-providing instrument that applies static or variable duration cyclic tension or compression to cells in vitro,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 1985.
- T. Dvir, N. Benishti, M. Shachar, and S. Cohen, “A novel perfusion bioreactor providing a homogenous milieu for tissue regeneration,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 2843–2852, 2006.
- D. E. Orr and K. J. L. Burg, “Design of a modular bioreactor to incorporate both perfusion flow and hydrostatic compression for tissue engineering applications,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1228–1241, 2008.
- K. Shahin and P. M. Doran, “Tissue engineering of cartilage using a mechanobioreactor exerting simultaneous mechanical shear and compression to simulate the rolling action of articular joints,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 1060–1073, 2012.
- P. Y. Wang and W. B. Tsai, “Modulation of the proliferation and matrix synthesis of chondrocytes by dynamic compression on genipin-crosslinked chitosan/collagen scaffolds,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 507–519, 2013.
- I. Martin, T. Smith, and D. Wendt, “Bioreactor-based roadmap for the translation of tissue engineering strategies into clinical products,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 495–502, 2009.