- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 918753, 8 pages
Detergent-Enzymatic Decellularization of Swine Blood Vessels: Insight on Mechanical Properties for Vascular Tissue Engineering
1Department of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering “Giulio Natta”, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
2PhD program in Bioengineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
3Complication of Diabetes Unit, Division of Metabolic and Cardiovascular Sciences, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
4General Surgery I, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Received 8 January 2013; Revised 29 April 2013; Accepted 23 May 2013
Academic Editor: George E. Plopper
Copyright © 2013 Alessandro F. Pellegata et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Peck, D. Gebhart, N. Dusserre, T. N. McAllister, and N. L'Heureux, “The evolution of vascular tissue engineering and current state of the art,” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 195, no. 1-2, pp. 144–158, 2011.
- O. E. Teebken and A. Haverich, “Tissue engineering of small diameter vascular grafts,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 475–485, 2002.
- R. J. van Det, B. H. R. Vriens, J. van der Palen, and R. H. Geelkerken, “Dacron or ePTFE for femoro-popliteal above-knee bypass grafting: short- and long-term results of a multicentre randomised trial,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 457–463, 2009.
- H. L. Prichard, R. J. Manson, L. DiBernardo, L. E. Niklason, J. H. Lawson, and S. L. M. Dahl, “An early study on the mechanisms that allow tissue-engineered vascular grafts to resist intimal hyperplasia,” Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 674–682, 2011.
- N. Hibino, E. McGillicuddy, G. Matsumura et al., “Late-term results of tissue-engineered vascular grafts in humans,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 431–436, 2010.
- T. N. McAllister, M. Maruszewski, S. A. Garrido et al., “Effectiveness of haemodialysis access with an autologous tissue-engineered vascular graft: a multicentre cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9673, pp. 1440–1446, 2009.
- S. L. M. Dahl, A. P. Kypson, J. H. Lawson et al., “Readily available tissue-engineered vascular grafts,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 3, no. 68, Article ID 68ra9, 2011.
- L. E. Niklason, J. Gao, W. M. Abbott et al., “Functional arteries grown in vitro,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5413, pp. 489–493, 1999.
- Y. Eitan, U. Sarig, N. Dahan, and M. MacHluf, “Acellular cardiac extracellular matrix as a scaffold for tissue engineering: in vitro cell support, remodeling, and biocompatibility,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 671–683, 2010.
- T. H. Petersen, E. A. Calle, L. Zhao et al., “Tissue-engineered lungs for in vivo implantation,” Science, vol. 329, no. 5991, pp. 538–541, 2010.
- A. Soto-Gutierrez, L. Zhang, C. Medberry et al., “A whole-organ regenerative medicine approach for liver replacement,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 677–686, 2011.
- A. Asnaghi, P. Macchiarini, and S. Mantero, “Tissue engineering toward organ replacement: a promising approach in airway transplant,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 763–768, 2009.
- S. F. Badylak, D. O. Freytes, and T. W. Gilbert, “Extracellular matrix as a biological scaffold material: structure and function,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2009.
- P. Macchiarini, P. Jungebluth, T. Go et al., “Clinical transplantation of a tissue-engineered airway,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9655, pp. 2023–2030, 2008.
- M. A. Asnaghi, P. Jungebluth, M. T. Raimondi et al., “A double-chamber rotating bioreactor for the development of tissue-engineered hollow organs: from concept to clinical trial,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 29, pp. 5260–5269, 2009.
- A. F. Pellegata, M. A. Asnaghi, S. Zonta, G. Zerbini, and S. Mantero, “A novel device for the automatic decellularization of biological tissues,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 35, pp. 191–198, 2012.
- A. Remuzzi, S. Mantero, M. Colombo et al., “Vascular smooth muscle cells on hyaluronic acid: culture and mechanical characterization of an engineered vascular construct,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 10, no. 5-6, pp. 699–710, 2004.
- V. Quaglini, T. Villa, F. Migliavacca et al., “An in vitro methodology for evaluating the mechanical properties of aortic vascular prostheses,” Artificial Organs, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 555–564, 2002.
- C. A. Barnes, J. Brison, R. Michel et al., “The surface molecular functionality of decellularized extracellular matrices,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 137–143, 2011.
- T. J. Keane, R. Londono, N. J. Turner, and S. F. Badylak, “Consequences of ineffective decellularization of biologic scaffolds on the host response,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1771–1781, 2012.
- T. W. Gilbert, J. M. Freund, and S. F. Badylak, “Quantification of DNA in biologic scaffold materials,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 135–139, 2009.
- Y. Zou and Y. Zhang, “Mechanical evaluation of decellularized porcine thoracic aorta,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 175, pp. 359–368, 2012.
- C. Williams, J. Liao, E. M. Joyce et al., “Altered structural and mechanical properties in decellularized rabbit carotid arteries,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 993–1005, 2009.
- B. D. Stemper, N. Yoganandan, M. R. Stineman, T. A. Gennarelli, J. L. Baisden, and F. A. Pintar, “Mechanics of fresh, refrigerated, and frozen arterial tissue,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 236–242, 2007.