- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 921830, 6 pages
The Effect of Very High versus Very Low Sustained Loading on the Lower Back and Knees in Middle Life
1Department of Orthopaedics, The Hadassah University Hospital, Hebrew University Medical School, 91129 Jerusalem, Israel
2The Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 69978 Tel Aviv, Israel
Received 12 April 2013; Revised 8 June 2013; Accepted 4 August 2013
Academic Editor: Xiaodong Li
Copyright © 2013 Yael Milgrom et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Kjaer, C. Leboeuf-Yde, L. Korsholm, J. S. Sorensen, and T. Bendix, “Magnetic resonance imaging and low back pain in adults: a diagnostic imaging study of 40-year-old men and women,” Spine, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1173–1180, 2005.
- M. Englund, A. Guermazi, D. Gale et al., “Incidental meniscal findings on knee MRI in middle-aged and elderly persons,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 11, pp. 1108–1115, 2008.
- M. C. Battié, T. Videman, J. Kaprio et al., “The Twin Spine Study: contributions to a changing view of disc degeneration†,” Spine Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2009.
- G. Zhai, D. J. Hart, B. S. Kato, A. MacGregor, and T. D. Spector, “Genetic influence on the progression of radiographic knee osteoarthritis: a longitudinal twin study,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 222–225, 2007.
- G. O'Donovan, A. J. Blazevich, C. Boreham et al., “The ABC of physical activity for health: a consensus statement from the British association of sport and exercise sciences,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 573–591, 2010.
- R. M. Francis, “What do we currently know about nutrition and bone health in relation to United Kingdom public health policy with particular reference to calcium and vitamin D?” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 2008.
- J. S. M. Lidstone, L. J. Ells, P. Finn, V. J. Whittaker, J. R. Wilkinson, and C. D. Summerbell, “Independent associations between weight status and disability in adults: results from the health survey for England,” Public Health, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 412–417, 2006.
- C. Milgrom, M. Giladi, and M. Stein, “Stress fractures in military recruits. a prospective study showing an unusually high incidence,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 732–735, 1985.
- P. J. Amoroso and M. L. Canham, “Disabilities related to the musculoskeletal system: physical Evaluation Board Data,” Military Medicine, vol. 164, supplement 8, pp. 1–73, 1999.
- M. Aadahl and T. Jørgensen, “Validation of a new self-report instrument for measuring physical activity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1196–1202, 2003.
- C. W. A. Pfirrmann, A. Metzdorf, M. Zanetti, J. Hodler, and N. Boos, “Magnetic resonance classification of lumbar intervertebral disc degeneration,” Spine, vol. 26, no. 17, pp. 1873–1878, 2001.
- C. G. Peterfy, A. Guermazi, S. Zaim et al., “Whole-organ magnetic resonance imaging score (WORMS) of the knee in osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 177–190, 2004.
- D. M. Behar, B. Yunusbayev, M. Metspalu et al., “The genome-wide structure of the Jewish people,” Nature, vol. 466, no. 7303, pp. 238–242, 2010.
- H.-J. Wilke, P. Neef, M. Caimi, T. Hoogland, and L. E. Claes, “New in vivo measurements of pressures in the intervertebral disc in daily life,” Spine, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 755–762, 1999.
- A. T. Dimitriadis, P. J. Papagelopoulos, F. W. Smith et al., “Intervertebral disc changes after 1 h of running: a study on athletes,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 569–579, 2011.
- S. Aharony, C. Milgrom, T. Wolf et al., “Magnetic resonance imaging showed no signs of overuse or permanent injury to the lumbar sacral spine during a Special Forces training course,” Spine Journal, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 578–583, 2008.
- S. R. Pye, D. M. Reid, J. E. Adams, A. J. Silman, and T. W. O'Neill, “Influence of weight, body mass index and lifestyle factors on radiographic features of lumbar disc degeneration,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 426–427, 2007.
- L. Ala-Kokko, “Genetic risk factors for lumbar disc disease,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2002.
- E. Hohmann, K. Wörtler, and A. B. Imhoff, “MR Imaging of the Hip and Knee before and after Marathon Running,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2004.