- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 923475, 6 pages
Prior Lung Inflammation Impacts on Body Distribution of Gold Nanoparticles
1Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Responses to Xenobiotics, CNRS EAC 7059, Unit of Functional and Adaptive Biology (BFA), Sorbonne Paris Cité, University of Paris Diderot, 75 013 Paris, France
2Lung Toxicology Research Unit, KU Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
3Clinical Research Unit, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina NC 27709, USA
4Louvain Centre for Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, Catholic University of Louvain, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Received 5 September 2012; Revised 29 November 2012; Accepted 6 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ernesto Alfaro-Moreno
Copyright © 2013 Salik Hussain et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Higuchi, S. Kawakami, and M. Hashida, “Strategies for in vivo delivery of siRNAs: recent progress,” BioDrugs, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 195–205, 2010.
- B. Duncan, C. Kim, and V. M. Rotello, “Gold nanoparticle platforms as drug and biomacromolecule delivery systems,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 122–127, 2010.
- J. Wang, M. Sui, and W. Fan, “Nanoparticles for tumor targeted therapies and their pharmacokinetics,” Current Drug Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 129–141, 2010.
- B. Kim, G. Han, B. J. Toley, C. K. Kim, V. M. Rotello, and N. S. Forbes, “Tuning payload delivery in tumour cylindroids using gold nanoparticles,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 465–472, 2010.
- K. V. Chakravarthy, A. C. Bonoiu, W. G. Davis et al., “Gold nanorod delivery of an ssRNA immune activator inhibits pandemic H1N1 influenza viral replication,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 22, pp. 10172–10177, 2010.
- C. R. Patra, R. Bhattacharya, and P. Mukherjee, “Fabrication and functional characterization of goldnanoconjugates for potential application in ovarian cancer,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 547–554, 2010.
- R. A. Sperling, P. Rivera Gil, F. Zhang, M. Zanella, and W. J. Parak, “Biological applications of gold nanoparticles,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1896–1908, 2008.
- E. E. Connor, J. Mwamuka, A. Gole, C. J. Murphy, and M. D. Wyatt, “Gold nanoparticles are taken up by human cells but do not cause acute cytotoxicity,” Small, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 325–327, 2005.
- Y. Pan, S. Neuss, A. Leifert et al., “Size-dependent cytotoxicity of gold nanoparticles,” Small, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1941–1949, 2007.
- A. Nemmar, P. H. M. Hoet, B. Vanquickenborne et al., “Passage of inhaled particles into the blood circulation in humans,” Circulation, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 411–414, 2002.
- N. L. Mills, N. Amin, S. D. Robinson et al., “Do inhaled carbon nanoparticles translocate directly into the circulation in humans?” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 173, no. 4, pp. 426–431, 2006.
- P. Wiebert, A. Sanchez-Crespo, J. Seitz et al., “Negligible clearance of ultrafine particles retained in healthy and affected human lungs,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 286–290, 2006.
- E. Sadauskas, N. R. Jacobsen, G. Danscher et al., “Biodistribution of gold nanoparticles in mouse lung following intratracheal instillation,” Chemistry Central Journal, vol. 3, no. 1, article 16, 2009.
- W. G. Kreyling, M. Semmler-Behnke, J. Seitz et al., “Size dependence of the translocation of inhaled iridium and carbon nanoparticle aggregates fürom the lung of rats to the blood and secondary target organs,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 2009.
- H. Inoue, A. Shimada, T. Kaewamatawong et al., “Ultrastructural changes of the air-blood barrier in mice after intratracheal instillation of lipopolysaccharide and ultrafine carbon black particles,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2009.
- P. R. M. Rocco, D. P. Momesso, R. C. Figueira et al., “Therapeutic potential of a new phosphodiesterase inhibitor in acute lung injury,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 20–27, 2003.
- K. I. Inoue, H. Takano, R. Yanagisawa et al., “Effects of inhaled nanoparticles on acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide in mice,” Toxicology, vol. 238, no. 2-3, pp. 99–110, 2007.
- S. Hussain, J. A. Vanoirbeek, and P. H. Hoet, “Interactions of nanomaterials with the immune system,” Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 169–183, 2012.
- D. L. R. Goncalves, R. de Liz, and D. Girard, “Activation of neutrophils by nanoparticles,” TheScientificWorldJOURNAL, vol. 11, Article ID 768350, 9 pages, 2011.
- K. I. Inoue, H. Takano, R. Yanagisawa et al., “Effects of airway exposure to nanoparticles on lung inflammation induced by bacterial endotoxin in mice,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 114, no. 9, pp. 1325–1330, 2006.
- X. Xu, F. Deng, X. Guo et al., “Association of systemic inflammation with marked changes in particulate air pollution in Beijing in 2008,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 147–156.
- S. Takenaka, E. Karg, W. Kreyling et al., “Distribution pattern of inhaled ultrafine gold particles in the rat lung,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 733–740, 2006.
- S. Hussain, J. A. J. Vanoirbeek, K. Luyts et al., “Lung exposure to nanoparticles modulates an asthmatic response in a mouse model,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 299–309, 2011.
- D. P. K. Lankveld, R. G. Rayavarapu, P. Krystek et al., “Blood clearance and tissue distribution of PEGylated and non-PEGylated gold nanorods after intravenous administration in rats,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 339–349, 2011.
- E. Sadauskas, H. Wallin, M. Stoltenberg et al., “Kupffer cells are central in the removal of nanoparticles from the organism,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 4, article 10, 2007.
- L. E. Yu, L. Y. L. Yung, C. N. Ong et al., “Translocation and effects of gold nanoparticles after inhalation exposure in rats,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 235–242, 2007.
- S. K. Balasubramanian, J. Jittiwat, J. Manikandan, C. N. Ong, L. E. Yu, and W. Y. Ong, “Biodistribution of gold nanoparticles and gene expression changes in the liver and spleen after intravenous administration in rats,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2034–2042, 2010.
- S. L. De Wall, C. Painter, J. D. Stone et al., “Noble metals strip peptides from class II MHC proteins,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 197–201, 2006.
- M. Mahmoudi, S. N. Saeedi-Eslami, M. A. Shokrgozar et al., “Cell “vision”: complementary factor of protein corona in nanotoxicology,” Nanoscale, vol. 4, no. 17, pp. 5461–5468, 2012.