- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 924327, 9 pages
Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress-Mediated Hippocampal Neuron Apoptosis Involved in Diabetic Cognitive Impairment
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou 310058, China
Received 15 February 2013; Revised 1 April 2013; Accepted 2 April 2013
Academic Editor: John B. Vincent
Copyright © 2013 Xiaoming Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. P. Gray and M. E. Cooper, “Diabetic nephropathy in 2010: alleviating the burden of diabetic nephropathy,” Nature Reviews Nephrology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 71–73, 2011.
- J. C. Won, H. S. Kwon, C. H. Kim et al., “Prevalence and clinical characteristics of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in hospital patients with Type 2 diabetes in Korea,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. e290–e296, 2012.
- H. F. Liu, H. J. Zhang, Q. X. Hu et al., “Altered polarization, morphology, and impaired innate immunity germane to resident peritoneal macrophages in mice with long-term type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 867023, 9 pages, 2012.
- A. Negre-Salvayre, R. Salvayre, N. Augé, R. Pamplona, and M. Portero-Otín, “Hyperglycemia and glycation in diabetic complications,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 3071–3109, 2009.
- N. Das Evcimen and G. L. King, “The role of protein kinase C activation and the vascular complications of diabetes,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 498–510, 2007.
- M. A. Haidara, H. Z. Yassin, M. Rateb, H. Ammar, and M. A. Zorkani, “Role of oxidative stress in development of cardiovascular complications in diabetes mellitus,” Current Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 215–227, 2006.
- A. Ceriello, “Oxidative stress and diabetes-associated complications,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. 60–62, 2006.
- J. L. Rains and S. K. Jain, “Oxidative stress, insulin signaling, and diabetes,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 567–575, 2011.
- M. T. Liao, C. C. Sung, K. C. Hung, C. C. Wu, L. Lo, and K. C. Lu, “Insulin resistance in patients with chronic kidney disease,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 691369, 12 pages, 2012.
- Z. XiaoMing, Z. Xi, S. Fang, and Z. Jilin, “Specific changes of somatostatin mRNA expression in the frontal cortex and hippocampus of diabetic rats,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 204, no. 3, pp. 221–225, 2004.
- L. Velayudhan, M. Poppe, N. Archer, P. Proitsi, R. G. Brown, and S. Lovestone, “Risk of developing dementia in people with diabetes and mild cognitive impairment,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 196, no. 1, pp. 36–40, 2010.
- S. B. Murthy, A. Jawaid, and P. E. Schulz, “Diabetes mellitus and dementia: advocating an annual cognitive screening in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 1976–1977, 2008.
- M. Munshi, L. Grande, M. Hayes et al., “Cognitive dysfunction is associated with poor diabetes control in older adults,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1794–1799, 2006.
- S. Ahtiluoto, T. Polvikoski, M. Peltonen et al., “Diabetes, Alzheimer disease, and vascular dementia: a population-based neuropathologic study,” Neurology, vol. 75, no. 13, pp. 1195–1202, 2010.
- T. Zhang, B. S. Pan, G. C. Sun, X. Sun, and F. Y. Sun, “Diabetes synergistically exacerbates poststroke dementia and tau abnormality in brain,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 955–961, 2010.
- J. M. Gaspar, F. I. Baptista, J. Galvão, A. F. Castilho, R. A. Cunha, and A. F. Ambrósio, “Diabetes differentially affects the content of exocytotic proteins in hippocampal and retinal nerve terminals,” Neuroscience, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 1589–1600, 2010.
- J. Zhou, L. Wang, S. Ling, and X. Zhang, “Expression changes of growth-associated protein-43 (GAP-43) and mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1 (MKP-1) and in hippocampus of streptozotocin-induced diabetic cognitive impairment rats,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 201–208, 2007.
- F. Madeo and G. Kroemer, “Intricate Links between ER Stress and Apoptosis,” Molecular Cell, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 669–670, 2009.
- J. Xiang, X. Gu, S. Qian, and Z. Chen, “Endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis involved in indirect recognition pathway blockade induces long-term heart allograft survival,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 705431, 2010.
- M. Sheikh-Ali, S. Sultan, A. R. Alamir, M. J. Haas, and A. D. Mooradian, “Hyperglycemia-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress in endothelial cells,” Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 11-12, pp. 1146–1150, 2010.
- A. Trusina, F. R. Papa, and C. Tang, “Rationalizing translation attenuation in the network architecture of the unfolded protein response,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 51, pp. 20280–20285, 2008.
- Y. Tagawa, N. Hiramatsu, A. Kasai et al., “Induction of apoptosis by cigarette smoke via ROS-dependent endoplasmic reticulum stress and CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein-homologous protein (CHOP),” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 50–59, 2008.
- L. Xu, F. Han, A. Mandal, G. N. Rao, and X. Zhang, “Diazoxide attenuates hypothermic preservation-induced renal injury via down-regulation of CHOP and caspase-12,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 3859–3867, 2010.
- V. P. Nakka, A. Gusain, and R. Raghubir, “Endoplasmic reticulum stress plays critical role in brain damage after cerebral ischemia/reperfusion in rats,” Neurotoxicity Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 189–202, 2010.
- Z. Galehdar, P. Swan, B. Fuerth, S. M. Callaghan, D. S. Park, and S. P. Cregan, “Neuronal apoptosis induced by endoplasmic reticulum stress is regulated by ATF4-CHOP-mediated induction of the Bcl-2 homology 3-only member PUMA,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 30, no. 50, pp. 16938–16948, 2010.
- A. Salminen, A. Kauppinen, T. Suuronen, K. Kaarniranta, and J. Ojala, “ER stress in Alzheimer's disease: a novel neuronal trigger for inflammation and Alzheimer's pathology,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 6, p. 41, 2009.
- S. G. Fonseca, M. Burcin, J. Gromada, and F. Urano, “Endoplasmic reticulum stress in β-cells and development of diabetes,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 763–770, 2009.
- E. Bruel-Jungerman, C. Rampon, and S. Laroche, “Adult hippocampal neurogenesis, synaptic plasticity and memory: facts and hypotheses,” Reviews in the Neurosciences, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 93–114, 2007.
- L. A. Kotilinek, M. A. Westerman, Q. Wang et al., “Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition improves amyloid-β-mediated suppression of memory and synaptic plasticity,” Brain, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 651–664, 2008.
- T. Arendt, “Synaptic degeneration in Alzheimer's disease,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 167–179, 2009.
- J. J. M. Hoozemans, R. Veerhuis, E. S. Van Haastert et al., “The unfolded protein response is activated in Alzheimer's disease,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 2005.
- Y. Oida, M. Shimazawa, K. Imaizumi, and H. Hara, “Involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress in the neuronal death induced by transient forebrain ischemia in gerbil,” Neuroscience, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 111–119, 2008.
- U. Ozcan, E. Yilmaz, L. Özcan et al., “Chemical chaperones reduce ER stress and restore glucose homeostasis in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes,” Science, vol. 313, no. 5790, pp. 1137–1140, 2006.
- A. D. Mooradian and M. J. Haas, “Glucose-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress is independent of oxidative stress: a mechanistic explanation for the failure of antioxidant therapy in diabetes,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1140–1143, 2011.
- D. Ito and N. Suzuki, “Seipinopathy: a novel endoplasmic reticulum stress-associated disease,” Brain, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 8–15, 2009.
- T. Yamauchi, M. Sakurai, K. Abe, G. Matsumiya, and Y. Sawa, “Impact of the endoplasmic reticulum stress response in spinal cord after transient ischemia,” Brain Research, vol. 1169, no. 1, pp. 24–33, 2007.
- W. S. da-Silva, A. Gómez-Puyou, M. T. de Gómez-Puyou et al., “Mitochondrial bound hexokinase activity as a preventive antioxidant defense. Steady-state ADP formation as a regulatory mechanism of membrane potential and reactive oxygen species generation in mitochondria,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 38, pp. 39846–39855, 2004.