- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 924870, 9 pages
Protective Effect of Spin-Labeled 1-Ethyl-1-nitrosourea against Oxidative Stress in Liver Induced by Antitumor Drugs and Radiation
1Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Trakia University, Armeiska Street 11, 6000 Stara Zagora, Bulgaria
2Department of Physiology, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakia University, Armeiska Street 11, 6000 Stara Zagora, Bulgaria
3Laboratory of Oncopharmacology, National Cancer Institute, 1756 Sofia, Bulgaria
Received 22 May 2013; Revised 19 August 2013; Accepted 20 August 2013
Academic Editor: Wilson João Cunico Filho
Copyright © 2013 V. Gadjeva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. B. Grochow, “Covalent DNA-binding drugs,” in The Chemotherapy Source Book, M. C. Perry, Ed., pp. 192–208, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2001.
- C. H. Takimoto and E. Calvo, “Principles of oncologic pharmacotherapy,” in Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach, R. Pazdur, L. D. Wagman, K. A. Camphausen, and W. J. Hoskins, Eds., F. A. Davis, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 11th edition, 2008.
- B. Manoury, S. Nennan, O. Leclerc et al., “The absence of reactive oxygen species production protects mice against bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis,” Respiratory Research, vol. 6, article 6, 2005.
- T. Wai-Minga, R. Mark, and M. R. Montgomery, “Bleomycin toxicity: alterations in oxidative metabolism in lung and liver microsomal fractions,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 29, no. 24, pp. 3239–3244, 1980.
- S. M. Hecht, “Bleomycin: new perspectives on the mechanism of action,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 158–168, 2000.
- K. L. Malisza and B. B. Hasinoff, “Doxorubicin reduces the iron(III) complexes of the hydrolysis products of the antioxidant cardioprotective agent dexrazoxane (ICRF-187) and produces hydroxyl radicals,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. 680–688, 1995.
- C. W. Moore and J. B. Little, “Rapid and slow DNA rejoining in nondividing human diploid fibroblasts treated with bleomycin and ionizing radiation,” Cancer Research, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1982–1986, 1985.
- B. D. Cheson, “Pharmacology of cancer chemotherapy: miscellaneous chemotherapeutic agents,” in Cancer Principles and Practice of Oncology, pp. 452–459, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2001.
- G. R. Thompson, J. R. Baker, R. W. Fleischman et al., “Preclinical toxicologic evaluation of bleomycin (NSC 125 066), a new antitumor antibiotic,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 544–555, 1972.
- S. Y. Saad, T. A. Najjar, and A. C. Al-Rikabi, “The preventive role of deferoxamine against acute doxorubicin-induced cardiac, renal and hepatic toxicity in rats,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 211–218, 2001.
- R. V. T. Santos, M. L. Batirsta Jr, E. C. Caperuto, and L. F. B. P. C. Rosa, “Chronic supplementation of creatine and vitamins C and E increases survival and improves biochemical parameters after doxorubicin treatment in rats,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1294–1299, 2007.
- R. Dillon, G. M. Hirschfield, M. E. D. Allison, and K. P. Rege, “Fatal reactivation of hepatitis B after chemotherapy for lymphoma,” British Medical Journal, vol. 337, article a423, 2008.
- Y. Kalender, M. Yel, and S. Kalender, “Doxorubicin hepatotoxicity and hepatic free radical metabolism in rats: the effects of vitamin E and catechin,” Toxicology, vol. 209, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2005.
- G. V. Karpova, T. I. Fomina, T. V. Vetoshkina, T. I. Dubskaia, L. A. Ermolaeva, and A. A. Churin, “Hepatotoxicity of antineoplastic agents,” Vestnik Rossiǐskoǐ Akademii Meditsinskikh Nauk, no. 11, pp. 17–20, 2009.
- K. L. Koenig, R. E. Goans, R. J. Hatchett et al., “Medical treatment of radiological casualties: current concepts,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 643–652, 2005.
- J. S. Tobias, “Clinical practice of radiotherapy,” The Lancet, vol. 339, no. 8786, pp. 159–163, 1991.
- A. Agrawal, D. Chandra, and R. K. Kale, “Radiation induced oxidative stress: II studies in liver as a distant organ of tumor bearing mice,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 224, no. 1-2, pp. 9–17, 2001.
- P. A. Riley, “Free radicals in biology: oxidative stress and the effects of ionizing radiation,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 1994.
- M. E. C. Robbins and W. Zhao, “Chronic oxidative stress and radiation-induced late normal tissue injury: a review,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 251–259, 2004.
- M. A. Abd El-Aziz, A. I. Othman, M. Amer, and M. A. El-Missiry, “Potential protective role of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors captopril and enalapril against adriamycin-induced acute cardiac and hepatic toxicity in rats,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 469–473, 2001.
- R. Injac, M. Perse, N. Obermajer et al., “Potential hepatoprotective effects of fullerenol C60(OH)24 in doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats with mammary carcinomas,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 24-25, pp. 3451–3460, 2008.
- M. Yagmurca, O. Bas, H. Mollaoglu et al., “Protective effects of erdosteine on doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 380–385, 2007.
- J. B. Mitchell, M. C. Krishna, P. Kuppusamy, J. A. Cook, and A. Russo, “Protection against oxidative stress by nitroxides,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 226, no. 7, pp. 620–621, 2001.
- C. T. Gnewuch and G. Sosnovsky, “A critical appraisal of the evolution of N-nitrosoureas as anticancer drugs,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 829–1013, 1997.
- Z. Raikov, D. Todorov, and M. Ilarionova, “Synthesis and study of spin-labeled nitrosoureas,” Cancer Biochemistry Biophysics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 343–348, 1985.
- V. Gadjeva and Z. Raikov, “Syntheses and antitumor activity of 4-[N′-[N-(2-chloroethyl)-N-nitrosocarbamoyl]hydrazono]-2,2,6,6- tetramethylpiperidine-1-oxyl,” Pharmazie, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 231–232, 1999.
- V. Gadjeva, G. Lazarova, and A. Zheleva, “Spin labeled antioxidants protect bacteria against the toxicity of alkylating antitumor drug CCNU,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 289–294, 2003.
- V. Gadzheva, K. Ichimori, H. Nakazawa, and Z. Raikov, “Superoxide scavenging activity of spin-labeled nitrosourea and triazene derivatives,” Free Radical Research, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 177–186, 1994.
- V. Gadjeva, D. Kuchukova, A. Tolekova, and S. Tanchev, “Beneficial effects of spin-labelled nitrosourea on CCNU-induced oxidative stress in rat blood compared with vitamin E,” Pharmazie, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 530–532, 2005.
- V. Gadjeva, A. Tolekova, and M. Vasileva, “Effect of the spin-labelled 1-ethyl-1-nitrosourea on CCNU-induced oxidative liver injury,” Pharmazie, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 608–613, 2007.
- V. Gadjeva and R. Koldamova, “Spin-labeled 1-alkyl-1-nitrosourea synergists of antitumor antibiotics,” Anti-Cancer Drug Design, vol. 16, no. 4-5, pp. 247–253, 2001.
- R. S. Geran, N. H. Greenberg, M. M. Macdonald, A. M. Schumacher, and B. J. Abbott, “Protocols for screening chemical agents and natural products against animal tumors and other biological systems,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 1–87, 1972.
- H. H. Draper and M. Hadley, “Malondialdehyde determination as index of lipid peroxidation,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 421–431, 1990.
- Y. Sun, L. W. Oberley, and Y. Li, “A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 497–500, 1988.
- R. F. Beers Jr. and I. W. Sizer, “A spectrophotometric method for measuring the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by catalase,” The Journal of biological chemistry, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 133–140, 1952.
- K. M. Miranda, M. G. Espey, and D. A. Wink, “A rapid, simple spectrophotometric method for simultaneous detection of nitrate and nitrite,” Nitric Oxide, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 62–71, 2001.
- B. A. White, M. M. Erickson, and S. C. Stevens, Chemistry for Medical Technologists, Mosby, Saint Louis, Mo, USA, 3rd edition, 1970.
- M. Torun, S. Yardim, A. Gonenc, H. Sargin, A. Menevse, and B. Simsek, “Serum β-carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C and malondialdehyde levels in several types of cancer,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 259–263, 1995.
- V. Jacevic, V. Djordjevic-Milic, V. Dragojevic-Simic, N. Radic, B. Govedarica, S. Dobric, et al., “Protective effects of fullerenol C60(OH)24 on doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats: pathohistological study,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 172, supplement 7, S146 pages, 2007.
- V. G. Desai, A. Aidoo, J. Li, L. E. Lyn-Cook, D. A. Casciano, and R. J. Feuers, “Effects of bleomycin on liver antioxidant enzymes and the electron transport system from ad libitum-fed and dietary-restricted female and male Fischer 344 rats,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 42–51, 2000.
- G. Gurujeyalakshmi, Y. Wang, and S. N. Giri, “Suppression of bleomycin-induced nitric oxide production in mice by taurine and niacin,” Nitric Oxid, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 399–411, 2000.
- L. C. McKinney, E. M. Aquilla, D. Coffin, D. A. Wink, and Y. Vodovotz, “Ionizing radiation potentiates the induction of nitric oxide synthase by IFN-γ and/or LPS in murine macrophage cell lines: role of TNF-α,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 459–466, 1998.
- H. Rubbo, R. Radi, M. Trujillo et al., “Nitric oxide regulation of superoxide and peroxynitrite-dependent lipid peroxidation. Formation of novel nitrogen-containing oxidized lipid derivatives,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 42, pp. 26066–26075, 1994.