- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 926309, 6 pages
Antituberculosis: Synthesis and Antimycobacterial Activity of Novel Benzimidazole Derivatives
1Institute for Research in Molecular Medicine, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Minden, Penang, Malaysia
2New Drug Discovery Research, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Alwar Pharmacy College, Alwar, Rajasthan 301030, India
3New Drug Discovery Research, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Sunrise University, Alwar, Rajasthan 301030, India
4Centre of Excellence for Research in AIDS (CERiA), University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5School of Chemical Science, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Minden, Penang, Malaysia
6Department of Chemistry, College of Science, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2455, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Received 17 April 2013; Revised 24 July 2013; Accepted 29 July 2013
Academic Editor: Stelvio M. Bandiera
Copyright © 2013 Yeong Keng Yoon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Dutt and W. W. Stead, Epidemiology and Host Factors: Tuberculosis and Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Infection, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 1999.
- World Health Organization, WHO Report 2011: Global Tuberculosis Control., WHO/HTM/TB/2011. 16.
- D. E. Snider Jr. and W. L. Roper, “The new tuberculosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, no. 10, pp. 703–705, 1992.
- J. B. Bass Jr., L. S. Farer, P. C. Hopewell et al., “Treatment of tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection in adults and children,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 1359–1374, 1994.
- A. Koul, E. Arnoult, N. Lounis, J. Guillemont, and K. Andries, “The challenge of new drug discovery for tuberculosis,” Nature, vol. 469, no. 7331, pp. 483–490, 2011.
- G. Komazin, R. G. Ptak, B. T. Emmer, L. B. Townsend, and J. C. Drach, “Resistance of human cytomegalovirus to D- and L-ribosyl benzimidazoles as a tool to identify potential targets for antiviral drugs,” Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids, vol. 22, no. 5–8, pp. 1725–1727, 2003.
- M. Mader, A. de Dios, C. Shih et al., “Imidazolyl benzimidazoles and imidazo[4,5-b]pyridines as potent p38α MAP kinase inhibitors with excellent in vivo antiinflammatory properties,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 179–183, 2008.
- A. Rao, A. Chimirri, E. De Clercq et al., “Synthesis and anti-HIV activity of 1-(2,6-difluorophenyl)-1H,3H-thiazolo[3,4-a]benzimidazole structurally-related 1,2-substituted benzimidazoles,” Farmaco, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 819–823, 2002.
- B. E. Evans, K. E. Rittle, M. G. Bock et al., “Methods for drug discovery: development of potent, selective, orally effective cholecystokinin antagonists,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 2235–2246, 1988.
- M. Pieroni, S. K. Tipparaju, S. Lun et al., “Pyrido[1,2-a]benzimidazole-based agents active against tuberculosis (TB), multidrug-resistant (MDR) TB and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) TB,” ChemMedChem, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 334–342, 2011.
- A. Lilienkampf, M. Pieroni, B. Wan, Y. Wang, S. G. Franzblau, and A. P. Kozikowski, “Rational design of 5-phenyl-3-isoxazolecarboxylic acid ethyl esters as growth inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. A potent and selective series for further drug development,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 678–688, 2010.
- H. Foks, D. Pancechowska-Ksepko, W. Kuzmierkiewicz, Z. Zwolska, E. Augustynowicz-Kopec, and M. Janowiec, “Synthesis and tuberculostatic activity of new benzimidazole derivatives,” Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 611–614, 2006.
- L. A. Collins and S. G. Franzblau, “Microplate Alamar blue assay versus BACTEC 460 system for high- throughput screening of compounds against Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium avium,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1004–1009, 1997.
- H. Torres-Gómez, E. Hernández-Núñez, I. León-Rivera et al., “Design, synthesis and in vitro antiprotozoal activity of benzimidazole-pentamidine hybrids,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 3147–3151, 2008.