- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 927323, 4 pages
A Simple Assay to Screen Antimicrobial Compounds Potentiating the Activity of Current Antibiotics
1Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
2Department of Microbiology, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 29 May 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Kuo-Chen Chou
Copyright © 2013 Junaid Iqbal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. S. Butler and A. D. Buss, “Natural products—the future scaffolds for novel antibiotics?” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 919–929, 2006.
- F. C. Tenover, “Mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. S3–S10, 2006.
- J. H. Powers, “Antimicrobial drug development—the past, the present, and the future,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 23–31, 2004.
- A. R. Coates, G. Halls, and Y. Hu, “Novel classes of antibiotics or more of the same?” The British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 184–194, 2011.
- V. M. Dcosta, C. E. King, L. Kalan et al., “Antibiotic resistance is ancient,” Nature, vol. 477, no. 7365, pp. 457–461, 2011.
- P. L. Ho, K. H. Chow, K. Y. Yuen, W. S. Ng, and P. Y. Chau, “Comparison of a novel, inhibitor-potentiated disc-diffusion test with other methods for the detection of extended-spectrum β-lactamases in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 1998.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, “Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing,” in NCCLS Approved Standard M100-S14, NCCLS, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2004.
- S. Donadio, S. Maffioli, P. Monciardini, M. Sosio, and D. Jabes, “Antibiotic discovery in the twenty-first century: current trends and future perspectives,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 423–430, 2010.
- M. Pestel, E. Martin, C. Aucouturier, J. F. Lemeland, and F. Caron, “In vitro interactions between different β-lactam antibiotics and fosfomycin against bloodstream isolates of enterococci,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 2341–2344, 1995.
- S. Rochon-Edouard, M. Pestel-Caron, J. F. Lemeland, and F. Caron, “In vitro synergistic effects of double and triple combinations of β-lactams, vancomycin, and netilmicin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 3055–3060, 2000.
- A. M. Alkhawajah, “Studies on the antimicrobial activity of Juglans regia,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 175–180, 1997.
- P. Nancy, M. Manasi, and A. Varghese, “Antiplaque activity of Juglans regia L. and characterization of Juglone from Juglans regia L,” The American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 29–31, 2011.
- K. Bhatia, S. Rahman, M. Ali, and S. Raisuddin, “In vitro antioxidant activity of Juglans regia L. bark extract and its protective effect on cyclophosphamide-induced urotoxicity in mice,” Redox Report, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 273–279, 2006.
- K. C. Chou, “Some remarks on predicting multi-label attributes in molecular biosystems,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1092–1100, 2013.
- B. M. Peters, M. E. Shirtliff, and M. A. Jabra-Rizk, “Antimicrobial peptides: primeval molecules or future drugs?” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e1001067, 2010.
- G. G. Perron, M. Zasloff, and G. Bell, “Experimental evolution of resistance to an antimicrobial peptide,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 273, no. 1583, pp. 251–256, 2006.
- P. Wang, L. Hu, G. Liu et al., “Prediction of antimicrobial peptides based on sequence alignment and feature selection methods,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 4, Article ID e18476, 2011.
- X. Xiao, P. Wang, W. Z. Lin, J. H. Jia, and K. C. Chou, “iAMP-2L: a two-level multi-label classifier for identifying antimicrobial peptides and their functional types,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 436, no. 2, pp. 168–177, 2013.
- J. Xu and A. Hagler, “Chemoinformatics and drug discovery,” Molecules, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 566–600, 2002.
- M. Congreve, C. W. Murray, and T. L. Blundell, “Keynote review: structural biology and drug discovery,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 10, no. 13, pp. 895–907, 2005.
- X. Y. Meng, H. X. Zhang, M. Mezei, and M. Cui, “Molecular docking: a powerful approach for structure-based drug discovery,” Current Computer-Aided Drug Design, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 146–157, 2011.
- J. L. Stark and R. Powers, “Application of NMR and molecular docking in structure-based drug discovery,” Topics in Current Chemistry, vol. 326, pp. 1–34, 2012.
- F. Cheng, C. Liu, J. Jiang, et al., “Prediction of drug-target interactions and drug repositioning via network-based inference,” PLOS Computational Biology, vol. 8, no. 5, Article ID e1002503, 2012.
- N. S. Buchan, D. K. Rajpal, Y. Webster et al., “The role of translational bioinformatics in drug discovery,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 16, no. 9-10, pp. 426–434, 2011.
- A. J. Butte and S. Ito, “Translational bioinformatics: data-driven drug discovery and development,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 949–952, 2011.