- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 928790, 9 pages
Improvement of Hydrodynamics-Based Gene Transfer of Nonviral DNA Targeted to Murine Hepatocytes
1Department of Surgery, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Saitama, Tokorozawa 359-8513, Japan
2Division of Animal Science, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 2 Ikenodai, Ibaraki, Tsukuba 305-0901, Japan
3Research Institute, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Saitama, Tokorozawa 359-8513, Japan
4Section of Gene Expression Regulation, Frontier Science Research Center, Kagoshima University, 1-21-40 Kohrimoto, Kagoshima, Kagoshima 890-0065, Japan
Received 20 December 2012; Revised 12 February 2013; Accepted 12 February 2013
Academic Editor: Rudi Beyaert
Copyright © 2013 Shingo Nakamura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Mulligan, “The basic science of gene therapy,” Science, vol. 260, no. 5110, pp. 926–932, 1993.
- N. Ferry, O. Duplessis, D. Houssin, O. Danos, and J. M. Heard, “Retroviral-mediated gene transfer into hepatocytes in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 19, pp. 8377–8381, 1991.
- M. Strauss, “Liver-directed gene therapy: prospects and problems,” Gene Therapy, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 156–164, 1994.
- H. B. Gaspar, K. L. Parsley, S. Howe et al., “Gene therapy of X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency by use of a pseudotyped gammaretroviral vector,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9452, pp. 2181–2187, 2004.
- H. M. Atta, “Gene therapy for liver regeneration: experimental studies and prospects for clinical trials,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 32, pp. 4019–4030, 2010.
- M. S. Al-Dosari and X. Gao, “Nonviral gene delivery: principle, limitations, and recent progress,” AAPS Journal, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 671–681, 2009.
- F. Liu, Y. K. Song, and D. Liu, “Hydrodynamics-based transfection in animals by systemic administration of plasmid DNA,” Gene Therapy, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1258–1266, 1999.
- G. Zhang, X. Gao, Y. K. Song et al., “Hydroporation as the mechanism of hydrodynamic delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 675–682, 2004.
- N. Manjunath and D. M. Dykxhoorn, “Advances in synthetic siRNA delivery,” Discovery Medicine, vol. 9, no. 48, pp. 418–430, 2010.
- S. Nakamura, M. Terashima, N. Kikuchi et al., “A new mouse model for renal lesions produced by intravenous injection of diphtheria toxin A-chain expression plasmid,” BMC Nephrology, vol. 5, article 4, 2004.
- S. Nakamura, S. Watanabe, M. Ohtsuka et al., “Cre-loxP system as a versatile tool for conferring increased levels of tissue-specific gene expression from a weak promoter,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1085–1093, 2008.
- H. Niwa, K. Yamamura, and J. Miyazaki, “Efficient selection for high-expression transfectants with a novel eukaryotic vector,” Gene, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 1991.
- M. Fussenegger, X. Mazur, and J. E. Bailey, “pTRIDENT, a novel vector family for tricistronic gene expression in mammalian cells,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1998.
- M. Ohtsuka, T. Warita, T. Sakurai, S. Watanabe, H. Inoko, and M. Sato, “Development of CRTEIL and CETRIZ, cre-loxP-based systems, which allow change of expression of red to green or green to red fluorescence upon transfection with a cre-expression vector,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2009, Article ID 985140, 9 pages, 2009.
- M. Sato, T. Watanabe, and M. Kimura, “Embryo transfer via oviductal wall: an alternative method for efficient production of transgenic mice,” Transgenics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 383–389, 1999.
- T. Tsuzuki, S. Mita, S. Maeda, S. Araki, and K. Shimada, “Structure of the human prealbumin gene,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 260, no. 22, pp. 12224–12227, 1985.
- G. S. Kwon and A. K. Hadjantonakis, “Transthyretin mouse transgenes direct RFP expression or Cre-mediated recombination throughout the visceral endoderm,” Genesis, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 447–455, 2009.
- S. Nakamura, Y. Kanatani, S. Kishimoto et al., “Controlled release of FGF-2 using fragmin/protamine microparticles and effect on neovascularization,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 814–823, 2009.
- Y. Mori, S. Nakamura, S. Kishimoto et al., “Preparation and characterization of low-molecular-weight heparin/protamine nanoparticles (LMW-H/P NPs) as FGF-2 carrier,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 147–155, 2010.
- S. Nakamura, M. Ishihara, M. Takikawa et al., “Attenuation of limb loss in an experimentally induced hindlimb ischemic model by fibroblast growth factor-2/fragmin/protamine microparticles as a delivery system,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 18, no. 21-22, pp. 2239–2247, 2012.
- M. Sato, R. Iwase, K. Kasai, and N. Tada, “Direct injection of foreign DNA into mouse testis as a possible alternative of sperm-mediated gene transfer,” Animal Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 19–31, 1994.
- M. Sato and M. Tanigawa, “Production of CETD transgenic mouse line allowing ablation of any type of specific cell population,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 54–67, 2005.
- K. Kawabata, Y. Takakura, and M. Hashida, “The fate of plasmid DNA after intravenous injection in mice: involvement of scavenger receptors in its hepatic uptake,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 825–830, 1995.
- M. Nishikawa and M. Hashida, “Nonviral approaches satisfying various requirements for effective in vivo gene therapy,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 275–283, 2002.
- E. Wisse, R. B. de Zanger, K. Charels, P. van der Smissen, and R. S. McCuskey, “The liver sieve: considerations concerning the structure and function of endothelial fenestrae, the sinusoidal wall and the space of disse,” Hepatology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 683–692, 1985.
- A. El Ouahabi, M. Thiry, V. Pector, R. Fuks, J. M. Ruysschaert, and M. Vandenbranden, “The role of endosome destabilizing activity in the gene transfer process mediated by cationic lipids,” FEBS Letters, vol. 414, no. 2, pp. 187–192, 1997.
- T. Kurosaki, T. Kitahara, S. Fumoto et al., “Ternary complexes of pDNA, polyethylenimine, and γ-polyglutamic acid for gene delivery systems,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 14, pp. 2846–2853, 2009.
- M. Lecocq, F. Andrianaivo, M. T. Warnier, S. Wattiaux-De Coninck, R. Wattiaux, and M. Jadot, “Uptake by mouse liver and intracellular fate of plasmid DNA after a rapid tail vein injection of a small or a large volume,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 142–156, 2003.
- Y. Eshita, J. Higashihara, M. Onishi, et al., “Mechanism of the Introduction of Exogenous genes into cultured cells using DEAE-Dextran-MMA graft copolymer as a non-viral gene carrier. II. Its thixotropy property,” Journal of Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology, vol. 2, article 1, 2011.
- R. Mukthavaram, S. Marepally, M. Y. Venkata, G. N. Vegi, R. Sistla, and A. Chaudhuri, “Cationic glycolipids with cyclic and open galactose head groups for the selective targeting of genes to mouse liver,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2369–2384, 2009.
- A. Pathak, S. P. Vyas, and K. C. Gupta, “Nano-vectors for efficient liver specific gene transfer,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 31–49, 2008.
- T. Okuda, T. Niidome, and H. Aoyagi, “Cytosolic soluble proteins induce DNA release from DNA-gene carrier complexes,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 325–332, 2004.
- O. Boussif, F. Lezoualc'H, M. A. Zanta et al., “A versatile vector for gene and oligonucleotide transfer into cells in culture and in vivo: polyethylenimine,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 16, pp. 7297–7301, 1995.
- J. H. Kang, Y. Tachibana, W. Kamata, A. Mahara, M. Harada-Shiba, and T. Yamaoka, “Liver-targeted siRNA delivery by polyethylenimine (PEI)-pullulan carrier,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 3946–3950, 2010.
- M. E. Bonnet, P. Erbacher, and A. L. Bolcato-Bellemin, “Systemic delivery of DNA or siRNA mediated by linear polyethylenimine (L-PEI) does not induce an inflammatory response,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2972–2982, 2008.
- T. Yamaoka, T. Tabata, and Y. Ikada, “Body distribution profile of polysaccharides after intravenous administration,” Drug Delivery, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 1993.