- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 932691, 6 pages
Potential of RAS Inhibition to Improve Metabolic Bone Disorders
1Center for Systems Biomedical Sciences, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, Shanghai 200093, China
2School of Medical Instrument and Food Engineering, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, Shanghai 200093, China
3Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Received 24 May 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: John J. Gildea
Copyright © 2013 Yoseph Gebru et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. H. Ralston and B. De Crombrugghe, “Genetic regulation of bone mass and susceptibility to osteoporosis,” Genes and Development, vol. 20, no. 18, pp. 2492–2506, 2006.
- K. C. Siamopoulos and R. G. Kalaitzidis, “Inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system and chronic kidney disease,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1015–1025, 2008.
- H. Nakagami and R. Morishita, “Hormones and osteoporosis update. Effect of angiotensin II on bone metabolism,” Clinical Calcium, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 997–1002, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, T. Y. Diao, S. S. Gu et al., “Effects of angiotensin II type 1 receptor blocker on bones in mice with type 1 diabetes induced by streptozotocin,” Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, 2013.
- I. C. Haznedaroǧlu, S. Tuncer, and M. Gürsoy, “A local renin-angiotensin system in the bone marrow,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 507–510, 1996.
- X. X. Guan, Y. Zhou, and J. Y. Li, “Reciprocal roles of angiotensin II and angiotensin II receptors blockade (ARB) in regulating Cbfa1/RANKL via cAMP signaling pathway: possible mechanism for hypertension-related osteoporosis and antagonistic effect of ARB on hypertension-related osteoporosis,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 4206–4213, 2011.
- H. Hagiwara, Y. Hiruma, A. Inoue, A. Yamaguchi, and S. Hirose, “Deceleration by angiotensin II of the differentiation and bone formation of rat calvarial osteoblastic cells,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 543–550, 1998.
- S. L. Teitelbaum, “Bone resorption by osteoclasts,” Science, vol. 289, no. 5484, pp. 1504–1508, 2000.
- I. C. Lin, J. M. Smartt Jr., H. Nah, H. Ischiropoulos, and R. E. Kirschner, “Nitric oxide stimulates proliferation and differentiation of fetal calvarial osteoblasts and dural cells,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 1554–1566, 2008.
- H. Shimizu, H. Nakagami, M. K. Osako et al., “Angiotensin II accelerates osteoporosis by activating osteoclasts,” FASEB Journal, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 2465–2475, 2008.
- K. Kaneko, M. Ito, T. Fumoto et al., “Physiological function of the angiotensin AT1a receptor in bone remodeling,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 2959–2966, 2011.
- Y. Beyazit, S. Aksu, I. C. Haznedaroglu et al., “Overexpression of the local bone marrow renin-angiotensin system in acute myeloid leukemia,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2007.
- R. T. Franceschi, “The developmental control of osteoblast-specific gene expression: role of specific transcription factors and the extracellular matrix environment,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 40–57, 1999.
- Y. Beyazit, T. Purnak, G. S. Guven, and I. C. Haznedaroglu, “Local bone marrow renin-angiotensin system and atherosclerosis,” Cardiology Research and Practice, vol. 1, no. 1, Article ID 714515, p. 10, 2011.
- Y. Asaba, M. Ito, T. Fumoto et al., “Activation of renin-angiotensin system induces osteoporosis independently of hypertension,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 241–250, 2009.
- W. B. Strawn, R. S. Richmond, E. A. Tallant, P. E. Gallagher, and C. M. Ferrario, “Renin-angiotensin system expression in rat bone marrow haematopoietic and stromal cells,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 120–126, 2004.
- S. S. Gu, Y. Zhang, X. L. Li et al., “Involvement of the skeletal renin-angiotensin system in age-related osteoporosis of ageing mice,” Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 1367–1371, 2012.
- S. S. Gu, Y. Zhang, S. Y. Wu, T. Y. Diao, Y. A. Gebru, and H. W. Deng, “Early molecular responses of bone to obstructive nephropathy induced by unilateral ureteral obstruction in mice,” Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 767–773, 2012.
- H. Lynn, T. Kwok, S. Y. S. Wong, J. Woo, and P. C. Leung, “Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor use is associated with higher bone mineral density in elderly Chinese,” Bone, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 584–588, 2006.
- R. Komers, “Renin inhibition in the treatment of diabetic kidney disease,” Clinical Science, vol. 124, pp. 553–566, 2013.
- S. Lamparter, L. Kling, M. Schrader, R. Ziegler, and J. Pfeilschifter, “Effects of angiotensin II on bone cells in vitro,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 89–98, 1998.
- R. Hatton, M. Stimpel, and T. J. Chambers, “Angiotensin II is generated from angiotensin I by bone cells and stimulates osteoclastic bone resorption in vitro,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 1997.
- Y. Izu, F. Mizoguchi, A. Kawamata et al., “Angiotensin II type 2 receptor blockade increases bone mass,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 8, pp. 4857–4864, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, Y. Chen et al., “Inhibition of renin activity by aliskiren ameliorates diabetic nephropathy in type 1 diabetes mouse model,” Journal of Diabetes Mellitus, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 353–360, 2012.
- E. Pimenta and S. Oparil, “Role of aliskiren in cardio-renal protection and use in hypertensives with multiple risk factors,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 5, pp. 453–463, 2009.
- M. Azizi, R. Webb, J. Nussberger, and N. K. Hollenberg, “Renin inhibition with aliskiren: where are we now, and where are we going?” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 243–256, 2006.
- T. Kwok, J. Leung, Y. F. Zhang et al., “Does the use of ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers affect bone loss in older men?” Osteoporosis International, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 2159–2167, 2012.
- H. Nakagami, M. K. Osako, and R. Morishita, “Potential effect of angiotensin II receptor blockade in adipose tissue and bone,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 19, no. 17, pp. 3049–3053, 2013.
- P. Stucchi, V. Cano, M. Ruiz-Gayo, and M. S. Fernández-Alfonso, “Aliskiren reduces body-weight gain, adiposity and plasma leptin during diet-induced obesity,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 771–778, 2009.
- M. Moser, J. L. Izzo Jr., and D. A. Sica, “The use of renin inhibitors in the management of hypertension,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 701–705, 2007.
- M. J. Brown, “Direct renin inhibition-a new way of targeting the renin system,” Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. S7–S11, 2006.
- A. Stanton, C. Jensen, J. Nussberger, and E. OBrien, “Blood Pressure Lowering in Essential Hypertension with an Oral Renin Inhibitor, Aliskiren,” Hypertension, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1137–1143, 2003.
- J. Rahuel, V. Rasetti, J. Maibaum et al., “Structure-based drug design: the discovery of novel nonpeptide orally active inhibitors of human renin,” Chemistry and Biology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 493–504, 2000.
- M. J. Brown, “Aliskiren,” Circulation, vol. 118, no. 7, pp. 773–784, 2008.
- J. M. Wood, J. Maibaum, J. Rahuel et al., “Structure-based design of aliskiren, a novel orally effective renin inhibitor,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 308, no. 4, pp. 698–705, 2003.
- D. Limoges, H. A. Dieterich, C.-M. Yeh, S. Vaidyanathan, D. Howard, and W. P. Dole, “A study of dose-proportionality in the pharmacokinetics of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in healthy subjects,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 252–258, 2008.
- N. J. Brown and D. E. Vaughan, “Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 14, pp. 1411–1420, 1998.
- R. Morishita, J. Higaki, M. Nagano et al., “Discrepancy between renin mRNA and plasma renin level in angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor-treated rats,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 1993.
- A. Barreras and C. Gurk-Turner, “Angiotensin II receptor blockers,” Proceedings (Baylor University. Medical Center), vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 123–126, 2003.
- M. Burnier, “Angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockers,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 904–912, 2001.
- M. W. Krause, V. A. Fonseca, and S. V. Shah, “Combination inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system: is more better,” Kidney International, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 245–255, 2011.
- M. Albayrak, H. Celebi, A. Albayrak et al., “Elevated serum angiotensin converting enzyme levels as a reflection of bone marrow renin-angiotensin system activation in multiple myeloma,” Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2012.
- M. Durik, B. Sevá Pessôa, and A. J. Roks, “The renin-angiotensin system, bone marrow and progenitor cells,” Clinical Science, vol. 123, pp. 205–223, 2012.
- I. C. Haznedaroglu and Y. Beyazit, “Local bone marrow renin-angiotensin system in primitive, definitive and neoplastic haematopoiesis,” Clinical Science, vol. 124, pp. 307–323, 2013.