- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 934171, 11 pages
Optimization of Sulfide/Sulfite Pretreatment of Lignocellulosic Biomass for Lactic Acid Production
1Department of Chemistry, GC University, Katchery Road, Lahore 54000, Pakistan
2Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Chak Shahzad, Park Road, Islamabad 45600, Pakistan
Received 25 March 2013; Revised 24 June 2013; Accepted 24 June 2013
Academic Editor: Alain Dufresne
Copyright © 2013 Muhammad Idrees et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Neureiter, H. Danner, L. Madzingaidzo et al., “Lignocellulose feedstocks for the production of lactic acid,” Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2004.
- L. R. Lynd, C. E. Wyman, and T. U. Gerngross, “Biocommodity engineering,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 777–793, 1999.
- B. Hahn-Hägerdal, M. Galbe, M. F. Gorwa-Grauslund, G. Lidén, and G. Zacchi, “Bio-ethanol—the fuel of tomorrow from the residues of today,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 549–556, 2006.
- H. Palonen, Role of lignin in the enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulose [Ph.D. thesis of Technology], University of Technology, Espoo, Finland, 2004.
- H. B. Seo, S. Kim, H. Y. Lee, and K. H. Jung, “Improved bioethanol production using activated carbon-treated acid hydrolysate from Corn Hull in Pachysolen tannophilus,” The Korean Society of Mycology, Mycobiology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 2009.
- P. Torre, B. Aliakbarian, B. Rivas, J. M. Domínguez, and A. Converti, “Release of ferulic acid from corn cobs by alkaline hydrolysis,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 500–506, 2008.
- B. Rivas, J. M. Domínguez, H. Domínguez, and J. C. Parajó, “Bioconversion of posthydrolysed autohydrolysis liquors: an alternative for xylitol production from corn cobs,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 431–438, 2002.
- T. Khaliq, T. Mahmood, and A. Masood, “Effectiveness of farmyard manure, poultry manure and nitrogen for corn (Zea mays) productivity,” International Journal of Agricultural Biology, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 260–2263, 2004.
- FAOSTAT, Food and Agricultural Commodities Production, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 2010.
- A. B. Hashim, H. Aminuddin, and K. B. Siva, “Nutrient content in rice husk ash of some Malaysian rice varieties,” Pertanika Journal Tropical Agricultural Science, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 77–80, 1996.
- H. Danner, Milchsatz-Fermentative—Herstellung, Aufarbeitung und Einsatz als Chemierohstoff [Ph.D. thesis], BOKU—University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 1998.
- K. K. Cheng, B. Y. Cai, J. A. Zhang et al., “Sugarcane bagasse hemicellulose hydrolysate for ethanol production by acid recovery process,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 105–109, 2008.
- P. Laopaiboon, A. Thani, V. Leelavatcharamas, and L. Laopaiboon, “Acid hydrolysis of sugarcane bagasse for lactic acid production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 1036–1043, 2010.
- B. C. Saha, “α-L-arabinofuranosidases: biochemistry, molecular biology and application in biotechnology,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 403–423, 2000.
- A. Wingren, M. Galbe, C. Roslander, A. Rudolf, and G. Zacchi, “Effect of reduction in yeast and enzyme concentrations in a simultaneous-saccharification-and-fermentation-based bioethanol process: technical and economic evaluation,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 122, no. 1–3, pp. 485–499, 2005.
- J. Xu, J. J. Cheng, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, and J. C. Burns, “Sodium hydroxide pretreatment of switchgrass for ethanol production,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 2113–2119, 2010.
- P. Kumar, D. M. Barrett, M. J. Delwiche, and P. Stroeve, “Methods for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass for efficient hydrolysis and biofuel production,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 3713–3729, 2009.
- T. A. Hsu, M. R. Ladisch, and G. T. Tsao, “Alcohol from cellulose,” Chemical Technology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 315–319, 1980.
- D. Mishima, M. Tateda, M. Ike, and M. Fujita, “Comparative study on chemical pretreatments to accelerate enzymatic hydrolysis of aquatic macrophyte biomass used in water purification processes,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 16, pp. 2166–2172, 2006.
- J. Y. Zhu, X. J. Pan, G. S. Wang, and R. Gleisner, “Sulfite pretreatment (SPORL) for robust enzymatic saccharification of spruce and red pine,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 2411–2418, 2009.
- H. Meier, “On the behavior of wood hemicelluloses under different pulping conditions, Part I Birch hemicellulose,” Svensk Papper Stidning, vol. 65, pp. 299–305, 1962.
- H. Meier, “On the behavior of wood hemicelluloses under different pulping conditions, Part II Spruce hemicellulose,” Svensk Papper Stidning, vol. 65, pp. 589–594, 1962.
- K. Pfister and E. Sjostrom, “The formation of monosaccharides and aldonic and uronic acids during sulphite cooking,” Paperi Ja Puu, vol. 59, pp. 711–720, 1977.
- E. Heuser, “Trends in fundamental research in the cellulose and wood pulp field,” TAPPI, vol. 33, pp. 118–124, 1950.
- X. Zhao, L. Zhang, and D. Liu, “Comparative study on chemical pretreatment methods for improving enzymatic digestibility of crofton weed stem,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 9, pp. 3729–3736, 2008.
- R. A. Silverstein, Y. Chen, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, M. D. Boyette, and J. Osborne, “A comparison of chemical pretreatment methods for improving saccharification of cotton stalks,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 16, pp. 3000–3011, 2007.
- M. L. Soto, H. Dominguez, M. J. Nunez, and J. M. Lema, “Enzymatic saccharification of alkali-treated sunflower hulls,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 1994.
- D. G. MacDonald, N. N. Bakhshi, J. F. Mathews, A. Roychowdhury, P. Bajpai, and M. Moo-Young, “Alkali treatment of corn stover to improve sugar production by enzymatic hydrolysis,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2067–2076, 1983.
- M. Idrees, A. Adnan, S. Sheikh, and F. A. Qureshi, “Optimization of dilute acid pretreatment of water hyacinth biomass for enzymatic hydrolysis and ethanol production,” EXCLI Journal, vol. 12, pp. 30–40, 2013.
- K. Y. Lee, J. S. So, and T. R. Heo, “Thin layer chromatographic determination of organic acids for rapid identification of bifidobacteria at genus level,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- J. Y. Wee, N. K. Jin, and H. W. Ryu, “Lactic acid production with Lactobacillus sp. RKY2,” Food Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 293–298, 2006.
- L. Lin, R. Yan, Y. Liu, and W. Jiang, “In-depth investigation of enzymatic hydrolysis of biomass wastes based on three major components: cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 21, pp. 8217–8223, 2010.
- C. D. Blasi, G. Signorelli, C. D. Russo, and G. Rea, “Product distribution from pyrolysis of wood and agricultural residues,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 2216–2224, 1999.
- S. Li, S. Xu, S. Liu, C. Yang, and Q. Lu, “Fast pyrolysis of biomass in free-fall reactor for hydrogen-rich gas,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 85, no. 8–10, pp. 1201–1211, 2004.
- T. K. Ghose, “Measurement of cellulase activities,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 257–267, 1987.
- W. Dedsuksophon, K. Faungnawakij, V. Champreda, and N. Laosiripojana, “Hydrolysis/dehydration/aldol-condensation/hydrogenation of lignocellulosic biomass and biomass-derived carbohydrates in the presence of Pd/WO3–ZrO2 in a single reactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 2040–2046, 2011.
- D. M. Bai, R. Ban, X. M. Zhao, and Z. D. Hu, “Determination of lactic acid in fermentation broth of Rhizopus oryzae by reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC),” Chinese Journal of Chromatography, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 527–528, 2000.
- J. X. Sun, X. F. Sun, H. Zhao, and R. C. Sun, “Isolation and characterization of cellulose from sugarcane bagasse,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 331–339, 2004.
- J. Gressel, “Transgenics are imperative for biofuel crops,” Plant Science, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 246–263, 2008.
- D. Mishima, M. Kuniki, K. Sei, S. Soda, M. Ike, and M. Fujita, “Ethanol production from candidate energy crops: water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) and water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes L.),” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 2495–2500, 2008.
- S. S. Magdum, S. M. More, and A. A. Nadaf, “Biochemical conversion of acid-pretreated water hyacinth (Eichhornia Crassipes) to alcohol using Pichia Stipitis NCIM3497,” International Journal of Advanced Biotechnology and Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 585–590, 2012.
- Y. Sun and J. Cheng, “Hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials for ethanol production: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2002.
- S. Satimanont, A. Luengnaruemitchai, and S. Wongkasemjit, “Effect of temperature and time on dilute acid pretreatment of corn cobs,” International Journal Chemical Biological Engineering, vol. 6, pp. 333–337, 2012.
- I. B. Ugheoke and O. Mamat, “A critical assessment and new research directions of rice husk silica processing methods and properties,” Maejo International Journal of Science Technology, vol. 6, no. 03, pp. 430–448, 2012.
- B. S. Ndazi, C. Nyahumwa, and J. Tesha, “Chemical and thermal stability of rice husks against alkali treatment,” BioResources, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1267–1277, 2008.
- Z. Ali, F. M. Anjum, and T. Zahoor, “Production of lactic acid from corn cobs hydrolysate through fermentation by Lactobaccillus delbrukii,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 17, pp. 4175–4178, 2009.
- X. Shen and L. Xia, “Lactic acid production from cellulosic material by synergetic hydrolysis and fermentation,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 133, no. 3, pp. 251–262, 2006.