- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 935046, 11 pages
Myogenic Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in a Newly Developed Neurotised AV-Loop Model
1Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University Hospital of Erlangen, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
2Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University of BG Trauma Center Ludwigshafen/University of Heidelberg, 67071 Ludwigshafen, Germany
3Interdisciplinary Clinic for Stem Cell Transplantation, University Cancer Center Hamburg (UCCH), 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Received 12 June 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Kirsten Haastert-Talini
Copyright © 2013 Franz F. Bitto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Horch, U. Kneser, E. Polykandriotis, V. J. Schmidt, J. Sun, and A. Arkudas, “Tissue engineering and regenerative medicine—where do we stand?” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1157–1165, 2012.
- D. W. Hutmacher, R. E. Horch, D. Loessner et al., “Translating tissue engineering technology platforms into cancer research,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine A, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1417–1427, 2009.
- H. Mollmann, H. M. Nef, S. Voss et al., “Stem cell-mediated natural tissue engineering,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 52–62, 2009.
- J. P. Beier, F. F. Bitto, C. Lange et al., “Myogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells co-cultured with primary myoblasts,” Cell Biology International, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 397–406, 2011.
- F. B. Bedada, A. Technau, H. Ebelt, M. Schulze, and T. Braun, “Activation of myogenic differentiation pathways in adult bone marrow-derived stem cells,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 25, no. 21, pp. 9509–9519, 2005.
- P. Bossolasco, S. Corti, S. Strazzer et al., “Skeletal muscle differentiation potential of human adult bone marrow cells,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 295, no. 1, pp. 66–78, 2004.
- E. J. Gang, D. Bosnakovski, T. Simsek, K. To, and R. C. R. Perlingeiro, “Pax3 activation promotes the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells toward the myogenic lineage,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 314, no. 8, pp. 1721–1733, 2008.
- Y. Ding, D. Xu, G. Feng, A. Bushell, R. J. Muschel, and K. J. Wood, “Mesenchymal stem cells prevent the rejection of fully allogenic islet grafts by the immunosuppressive activity of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9,” Diabetes, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 1797–1806, 2009.
- H. Tsuda, K. Yamahara, S. Ishikane et al., “Allogenic fetal membrane-derived mesenchymal stem cells contribute to renal repair in experimental glomerulonephritis,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 299, no. 5, pp. F1004–F1013, 2010.
- I. Kassis, A. Vaknin-Dembinsky, and D. Karussis, “Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells: agents of immunomodulation and neuroprotection,” Current Stem Cell Research and Therapy, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2011.
- J. A. Kode, S. Mukherjee, M. V. Joglekar, and A. A. Hardikar, “Mesenchymal stem cells: immunobiology and role in immunomodulation and tissue regeneration,” Cytotherapy, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 377–391, 2009.
- D. Eberli, S. Soker, A. Atala, and J. J. Yoo, “Optimization of human skeletal muscle precursor cell culture and myofiber formation in vitro,” Methods, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 98–103, 2009.
- J. P. Beier, D. Klumpp, M. Rudisile et al., “Collagen matrices from sponge to nano: new perspectives for tissue engineering of skeletal muscle,” BMC Biotechnology, vol. 9, article 34, 2009.
- H. H. Vandenburgh, P. Karlisch, and L. Farr, “Maintenance of highly contractile tissue-cultured avian skeletal myotubes in collagen gel,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 166–174, 1988.
- J. Venugopal, L. L. Ma, T. Yong, and S. Ramakrishna, “In vitro study of smooth muscle cells on polycaprolactone and collagen nanofibrous matrices,” Cell Biology International, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 861–867, 2005.
- J. P. Beier, R. E. Horch, A. Hess et al., “Axial vascularization of a large volume calcium phosphate ceramic bone substitute in the sheep AV loop model,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 216–223, 2010.
- D. Klumpp, M. Rudisile, R. I. Kühnle et al., “Three-dimensional vascularization of electrospun PCL/collagen-blend nanofibrous scaffolds in vivo,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 2302–2311, 2012.
- B. Manasseri, G. Cuccia, S. Moimas et al., “Microsurgical arterovenous loops and biological templates: a novel in vivo chamber for tissue engineering,” Microsurgery, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 623–629, 2007.
- E. Polykandriotis, A. Arkudas, S. Euler, J. P. Beier, R. E. Horch, and U. Kneser, “Prevascularisation strategies in tissue engineering,” Handchirurgie Mikrochirurgie Plastische Chirurgie, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 217–223, 2006.
- A. Messina, S. K. Bortolotto, O. C. S. Cassell, J. Kelly, K. M. Abberton, and W. A. Morrison, “Generation of a vascularized organoid using skeletal muscle as the inductive source,” FASEB Journal, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1570–1572, 2005.
- V. Agrawal, B. N. Brown, A. J. Beattie, T. W. Gilbert, and S. F. Badylak, “Evidence of innervation following extracellular matrix scaffold-mediated remodelling of muscular tissues,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 590–600, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, A. Liu, W. Zhang, H. Jiang, and Z. Cai, “Correlation of contractile function recovery with acetylcholine receptor changes in a rat muscle flap model,” Microsurgery, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 307–313, 2010.
- J. Brockhausen, R. N. Cole, O. L. Gervásio, S. T. Ngo, P. G. Noakes, and W. D. Phillips, “Neural agrin increases postsynaptic ACh receptor packing by elevating rapsyn protein at the mouse neuromuscular synapse,” Developmental Neurobiology, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 1153–1169, 2008.
- V. Witzemann, “Development of the neuromuscular junction,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 326, no. 2, pp. 263–271, 2006.
- C. Lange, F. Tögel, H. Ittrich et al., “Administered mesenchymal stem cells enhance recovery from ischemia/reperfusion-induced acute renal failure in rats,” Kidney International, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 1613–1617, 2005.
- E. Polykandriotis, J. Tjiawi, S. Euler et al., “The venous graft as an effector of early angiogenesis in a fibrin matrix,” Microvascular Research, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2008.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- O. Bleiziffer, M. Hammon, E. Naschberger et al., “Endothelial progenitor cells are integrated in newly formed capillaries and alter adjacent fibrovascular tissue after subcutaneous implantation in a fibrin matrix,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2452–2461, 2011.
- S. Grefte, A. M. Kuijpers-Jagtman, R. Torensma, and J. W. Von Den Hoff, “Skeletal muscle development and regeneration,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 857–868, 2007.
- P. Schumann, F. Tavassol, D. Lindhorst et al., “Consequences of seeded cell type on vascularization of tissue engineering constructs in vivo,” Microvascular Research, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 180–190, 2009.
- Y. Tanaka, A. Tsutsumi, D. M. Crowe, S. Tajima, and W. A. Morrison, “Generation of an autologous tissue (matrix) flap by combining an arteriovenous shunt loop with artificial skin in rats: preliminary report,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2000.
- A. M. Boos, J. S. Loew, A. Weigand et al., “Engineering axially vascularized bone in the sheep arteriovenous-loop model,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 654–664, 2013.
- A. Arkudas, J. P. Beier, K. Heidner et al., “Axial prevascularization of porous matrices using an arteriovenous loop promotes survival and differentiation of transplanted autologous osteoblasts,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1549–1560, 2007.
- E. Polykandriotis, D. Drakotos, A. Arkudas et al., “Factors influencing successful outcome in the arteriovenous loop model: a retrospective study of 612 loop operations,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2011.
- E. D. Boland, J. A. Matthews, K. J. Pawlowski, D. G. Simpson, G. E. Wnek, and G. L. Bowlin, “Electrospinning collagen and elastin: preliminary vascular tissue engineering,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 9, pp. 1422–1432, 2004.
- J. Zeng, A. Aigner, F. Czubayko, T. Kissel, J. H. Wendorff, and A. Greiner, “Poly(vinyl alcohol) nanofibers by electrospinning as a protein delivery system and the retardation of enzyme release by additional polymer coatings,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1484–1488, 2005.
- D. Klumpp, R. E. Horch, U. Kneser, and J. P. Beier, “Engineering skeletal muscle tissue—new perspectives in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2622–2629, 2010.
- S. Levenberg, J. Rouwkema, M. Macdonald et al., “Engineering vascularized skeletal muscle tissue,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, pp. 879–884, 2005.
- J. Koffler, K. Kaufman-Francis, S. Yulia et al., “Improved vascular organization enhances functional integration of engineered skeletal muscle grafts,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 36, pp. 14789–14794, 2011.
- T. Nakasa, M. Ishikawa, M. Shi, H. Shibuya, N. Adachi, and M. Ochi, “Acceleration of muscle regeneration by local injection of muscle-specific microRNAs in rat skeletal muscle injury model,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 2495–2505, 2010.
- E. Skouras, D. Merkel, M. Grosheva et al., “Manual stimulation, but not acute electrical stimulation prior to reconstructive surgery, improves functional recovery after facial nerve injury in rats,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 237–251, 2009.
- B. T. Corona, C. L. Ward, B. S. Harrison, and G. J. Christ, “Regenerative medicine: basic concepts, current status, and future applications,” Journal of Investigative Medicine, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 849–858, 2010.
- S. N. Rath, L. A. Strobel, A. Arkudas et al., “Osteoinduction and survival of osteoblasts and bone-marrow stromal cells in 3D biphasic calcium phosphate scaffolds under static and dynamic culture conditions,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2350–2361, 2012.
- N. Tandon, A. Marsano, R. Maidhof et al., “Surface-patterned electrode bioreactor for electrical stimulation,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 692–700, 2010.
- M. H. Kim, H. N. Hong, J. P. Hong et al., “The effect of VEGF on the myogenic differentiation of adipose tissue derived stem cells within thermosensitive hydrogel matrices,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1213–1218, 2010.
- D. Noël, D. Caton, S. Roche et al., “Cell specific differences between human adipose-derived and mesenchymal-stromal cells despite similar differentiation potentials,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 314, no. 7, pp. 1575–1584, 2008.