- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 935351, 12 pages
Kidney Dosimetry in 177Lu and 90Y Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy: Influence of Image Timing, Time-Activity Integration Method, and Risk Factors
1Medical Physics Department, European Institute of Oncology, 20141 Milan, Italy
2Medical Physics Department, IRCCS Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, 42123 Reggio Emilia, Italy
3Nuclear Medicine Department, IRCCS Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, 42123 Reggio Emilia, Italy
4Medical Physics Department, IRCCS Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, 47014 Meldola, Italy
5Medical Physics Department, Azienda Ospedaliera S. Camillo Forlanini, 00151 Rome, Italy
6Section of Radiological Sciences, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Morphologic and Functional Imaging, University of Messina, 98125 Messina, Italy
7Laboratory of Medical Physics and Expert Systems, National Cancer Institute Regina Elena, 00144 Rome, Italy
8Nuclear Medicine Department, European Institute of Oncology, 20141 Milan, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 31 May 2013
Academic Editor: David J. Yang
Copyright © 2013 F. Guerriero et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Kwekkeboom, B. L. Kam, M. Van Essen et al., “Somatostatin receptor-based imaging and therapy of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. R53–R73, 2010.
- G. Glatting, P. Kletting, S. N. Reske, K. Hohl, and C. Ring, “Choosing the optimal fit function: comparison of the Akaike information criterion and the F-test,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 4285–4292, 2007.
- M. Cremonesi, F. Botta, A. Di Dia et al., “Dosimetry for treatment with radiolabelled somatostatin analogues. A review,” Quarterly Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 37–51, 2010.
- J. P. Esser, E. P. Krenning, J. J. M. Teunissen et al., “Comparison of [177Lu-DOTA0,Tyr3] octreotate and [177Lu-DOTA0,Tyr3] octreotide: which peptide is preferable for PRRT?” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1346–1351, 2006.
- M. Sandström, U. Garske, D. Granberg, A. Sundin, and H. Lundqvist, “Individualized dosimetry in patients undergoing therapy with 177Lu-DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotate,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 212–225, 2010.
- S. Baechler, R. F. Hobbs, A. Boubaker et al., “Three-dimensional radiobiological dosimetry of kidneys for treatment planning in peptide receptor radionuclide therapy,” Medical Physics, vol. 39, pp. 6118–6128, 2012.
- M. Garkavij, M. Nickel, K. Sjögreen-Gleisner et al., “177Lu-[DOTA0,Tyr3] octreotate therapy in patients with disseminated neuroendocrine tumors: analysis of dosimetry with impact on future therapeutic strategy,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 1084–1092, 2010.
- M. Konijnenberg, “From imaging to dosimetry and biological effects,” Quarterly Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 44–56, 2011.
- M. Larsson, P. Bernhardt, J. B. Svensson, B. W. Wängberg, H. Ahlman, and E. Forssell-Aronsson, “Estimation of absorbed dose to the kidneys in patients after treatment with 177Lu-octreotate: comparison between methods based on planar scintigraphy,” EJNMMI Research, vol. 2, pp. 49–53, 2012.
- E. Grassi, R. Sghedoni, M. Asti, F. Fioroni, D. Salvo, and G. Borasi, “Radiation protection in 90Y-labelled DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide preparations,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 176–182, 2009.
- R. Sghedoni, E. Grassi, F. Fioroni et al., “Personnel exposure in labelling and administration of 177Lu- DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 947–953, 2011.
- L. Bodei, M. Cremonesi, M. Ferrari et al., “Long-term evaluation of renal toxicity after peptide receptor radionuclide therapy with 90Y-DOTATOC and 177Lu-DOTATATE: the role of associated risk factors,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1847–1856, 2008.
- A. Filice, A. Fraternali, A. Frasoldati et al., “Radiolabeled somatostatin analogues therapy in advanced neuroendocrine tumors: a single centre experience,” Journal of Oncology, vol. 2012, Article ID 320198, 10 pages, 2012.
- S. Walrand, F. X. Hanin, S. Pauwels, and F. Jamar, “Tumour control probability derived from dose distribution in homogeneous and heterogeneous models: assuming similar pharmacokinetics, 125Sn-177Lu is superior to 90Y-177Lu in peptide receptor radiotherapy,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 57, no. 13, pp. 4263–4275, 2012.
- M. G. Stabin, R. B. Sparks, and E. Crowe, “OLINDA/EXM: the second-generation personal computer software for internal dose assessment in nuclear medicine,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1023–1027, 2005.
- A.-N. Spiess and N. Neumeyer, “An evaluation of R2 as an inadequate measure for nonlinear models in pharmacological and biochemical research: a monte carlo approach,” BMC Pharmacology, vol. 10, article 6, 2010.
- S. Baechler, R. F. Hobbs, A. R. Prideaux, R. L. Wahl, and G. Sgouros, “Extension of the biological effective dose to the MIRD schema and possible implications in radionuclide therapy dosimetry,” Medical Physics, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1123–1134, 2008.
- B. W. Wessels, M. W. Konijnenberg, R. G. Dale et al., “MIRD pamphlet no. 20: the effect of model assumptions on kidney dosimetry and response—implications for radionuclide therapy,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1884–1899, 2008.
- R. F. Hobbs and G. Sgouros, “Calculation of the biological effective dose for piecewise defined dose-rate fits,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 904–907, 2009.
- A. Imhof, P. Brunner, N. Marincek et al., “Response, survival, and long-term toxicity after therapy with the radiolabeled somatostatin analogue [90Y-DOTA]-TOC in metastasized neuroendocrine cancers,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 17, pp. 2416–2423, 2011.
- S. Walrand, R. Barone, S. Pauwels, and F. Jamar, “Experimental facts supporting a red marrow uptake due to radiometal transchelation in 90Y-DOTATOC therapy and relationship to the decrease of platelet counts,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1270–1280, 2011.
- M. W. Konijnenberg, “Is the renal dosimetry for [90Y-DOTA0, Tyr3]octreotide accurate enough to predict thresholds for individual patients?” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 619–625, 2003.
- B. He, R. L. Wahl, G. Sgouros et al., “Comparison of organ residence time estimation methods for radioimmunotherapy dosimetry and treatment planning-patient studies,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1595–1601, 2009.
- A. Jackson, G. J. Kutcher, and E. D. Yorke, “Probability of radiation-induced complications for normal tissues with parallel architecture subject to non-uniform irradiation,” Medical Physics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 613–625, 1993.
- C. Hindorf, S. Chittenden, L. Causer, V. J. Lewington, H. R. Mäcke, and G. D. Flux, “Dosimetry for 90Y-DOTATOC therapies in patients with neuroendocrine tumors,” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 130–135, 2007.
- M. Lassmann, C. Chiesa, G. Flux, and M. Bardiès, “EANM Dosimetry Committee guidance document: good practice of clinical dosimetry reporting,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 192–200, 2011.
- P. Kletting, T. Kull, S. N. Reske, and G. Glatting, “Comparing time activity curves using the Akaike information criterion,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 54, no. 21, pp. N501–N507, 2009.
- E. Grassi, F. Fioroni, M. A. Sarti et al., “Validation of a voxel-based method for dosimetry in radionuclide therapy and comparison with a conventional tridimensional approach,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual Meeting of the EANM, pp. 27–31, October 2012.
- J. Svensson, R. Hermann, M. Larsson et al., “Impairment in renal function predicts higher mean absorbed kidney doses in peptide receptor radionuclide therapy,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual Meeting of the EANM, pp. 27–31, October 2012.