- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 935852, 8 pages
Recovery of Glucose from Residual Starch of Sago Hampas for Bioethanol Production
1Department of Bioprocess Technology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia,
43400 Serdang, Malaysia
2Department of Molecular Biology, Faculty of Resource Sciences and Technology, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, 94300 Kota Samarahan, Malaysia
Received 10 April 2012; Revised 11 November 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: Brad Upham
Copyright © 2013 D. S. Awg-Adeni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Lin and S. Tanaka, “Ethanol fermentation from biomass resources: current state and prospects,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 627–642, 2006.
- D. S. Awg-Adeni, S. Abd-Aziz, K. Bujang, and M. A. Hassan, “Bioconversion of sago residue into value added products,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 14, pp. 2016–2021, 2010.
- A. A. Karim, A. P. L. Tie, D. M. A. Manan, and I. S. M. Zaidul, “Starch from the sago (Metroxylon sagu) palm tree—properties, prospects, and challenges as a new industrial source for food and other uses,” Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 215–228, 2008.
- Sarawak agriculture statistics 2010, exports of sago starch by country of destination 2006–2010, http://www.doa.sarawak.gov.my/modules/web/page.php?id=504&se=sagostarch.
- S. Linggang, L. Y. Phang, M. H. Wasoh, and S. Abd-Aziz, “Sago pith residue as an alternative cheap substrate for fermentable sugars production,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 167, pp. 122–131, 2012.
- K. Bujang, K. Apun, and K. M.A. Salleh, “A study in the production and bioconversion of sago waste,” in Sago-The Future Source of Food and Feed, Riau, C. Jose and A. Rasyad, Eds., pp. 195–201, University Press, Indonesia, 1996.
- S. M. Phang, M. S. Miah, B. G. Yeoh, and M. A. Hashim, “Spirulina cultivation in digested sago starch factory wastewater,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 12, no. 3–5, pp. 395–400, 2000.
- K. Apun, B. C. Jong, and M. A. Salleh, “Screening and isolation of a cellulolytic and amylolytic Bacillus from sago pith waste,” Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 263–267, 2000.
- A. Rifat, S. Paramaswari, N. Abdullah, and M. Sekaran, “Optimization of laccase productivity during solid substrate fermentation of sago hampas by Pycnoporus sanguineus,” Malaysian Journal of Science, vol. 22, pp. 35–42, 2003.
- Z. Shahrmi, V. Sabaratnam, N. A. A. Rahman, S. Abd-Aziz, M. A. Hassan, and M. I. A. Karim, “Production of reducing sugars by Trichoderma sp. KUPM0001 during solid substrate fermentation of sago starch processing waste Hampas,” Research Journal of Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 569–579, 2008.
- D. M. A. Manan, M. N. Islam, and B. M. N. Mohd Azemi, “Enzymic extraction of native sago starch from sago (Mwtroxylon sagu) waste residue,” Starch/Starke, vol. 53, pp. 639–643, 2001.
- K. A. Gray, L. Zhao, and M. Emptage, “Bioethanol,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 141–146, 2006.
- I. Roy and M. N. Gupta, “Hydrolysis of starch by a mixture of glucoamylase and pullulanase entrapped individually in calcium alginate beads,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 2004.
- A. Arbakariya, B. A. Asbi, and R. Norjehan, “Rheological behavior of sago starch during liquefaction and saccharification,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 613, pp. 610–615, 1990.
- S. Abd-Aziz, “Sago starch and its utilisation,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 526–529, 2002.
- A. Eliasson, J. H. S. Hofmeyr, S. Pedler, and B. Hahn-Hägerdal, “The xylose reductase/xylitol dehydrogenase/xylulokinase ratio affects product formation in recombinant xylose-utilising Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 29, no. 4-5, pp. 288–297, 2001.
- V. V. R. Bandaru, S. R. Somalanka, D. R. Mendu, N. R. Madicherla, and A. Chityala, “Optimization of fermentation conditions for the production of ethanol from sago starch by co-immobilized amyloglucosidase and cells of Zymomonas mobilis using response surface methodology,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 209–214, 2006.
- J. Yang, X. Zhang, Q. Yong, and S. Yu, “Three-stage enzymatic hydrolysis of steam-exploded corn stover at high substrate concentration,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 7, pp. 4905–4908, 2011.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA, 15th edition, 1990.
- H. K. Goering and P. J. Van Soest, “Forage fiber analysis: apparatus, reagents, procedures and some application,” ARS/USDA Handbook, no. 379, p. 15, 1970.
- L. K. Nakamura, “Lactobacillus amylovorus, a new starch-hydrolyzing species from cattle waste corn fermentation,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1981.
- T. Y. Chew and Y. L. Shim, “Management of sago processing wastes,” in Waste management in Malaysia—Current Status and Prospects for Bioremediation, B. G. Yeoh, K. S. Chee, S. M. Phang, Z. Isa, A. Idris, and M. Mohamed, Eds., Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1993.
- W. J. Wang, A. D. Powell, and C. G. Oates, “Pattern of enzyme hydrolysis in raw sago starch: effects of processing history,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 91–97, 1995.
- A. C. Kumoro, G. C. Ngoh, M. Hasan, C. H. Ong, and E. C. Teoh, “Conversion of fibrous sago (Metroxylon Sagu) waste into fermentable sugar via acid and enzymatic hydrolysis,” Asian Journal of Science Research, vol. 1, pp. 412–420, 2008.
- S. Vickineswary and Y. L. Shim, “Growth and starch degrading activity of Myceliophthora thermophila in solid-substrate fermentation of sago hampas,” Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, vol. 42, pp. 85–89, 1996.
- M. K. Siti Mazlina, M. Siti Norfadhillah, H. Siti Aslina, and A. Fakrul Razi, “Improvement on sago flour processing,” International Journal of Engineering and Technology, vol. 4, pp. 8–14, 2007.
- A. Reeve, “Starch hydrolysis: process and equipment,” in Starch Hydrolysis Products: Worldwide Technology, Productions and Applications, F. W. Schenck and R. E. Hebeda, Eds., pp. 79–120, VCH Publisher, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- R. Gupta, K. Sanjay, G. James, and R. C. Kuhad, “Kinetic study of batch and fed-batch enzymatic sachharification of pretreated substrate and subsequent fermentation to ethanol,” in Biotechnology for Biofuels, vol. 5, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- J. W. Donovan, “Phase transitions of the starch-water system,” in Biopolymer, vol. 18, pp. 263–275, 1979.
- W. J. Wang, A. D. Powell, and C. G. Oates, “Sago starch as a biomass source: raw sago starch hydrolysis by commercial enzymes,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 1996.
- A. Andersson, V. Gekas, I. Lind, F. Oliveira, and R. Oste, “Effect of preheating on potato texture,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 229–251, 1994.
- S. Brethauer and C. E. Wyman, “Review: continuous hydrolysis and fermentation for cellulosic ethanol production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 13, pp. 4862–4874, 2010.
- Ansharullah, Characterization and extrusion of Metroxylon sago starch [Ph.D. Dissertation], University of Western Sydney, 1997.
- K. Kusunoki, K. Kawakami, F. Shirashi, K. Kato, and M. Kai, “A kinetic expression for hydrolysis of soluble starch glucoamylase,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 24, pp. 347–354, 1982.
- M. Polakovič and J. Bryjak, “Modelling of potato starch saccharification by an Aspergillus niger glucoamylase,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2004.
- K. Sriroth, R. Chollakup, S. Chotineeranat, K. Piyachomkwan, and C. G. Oates, “Processing of cassava waste for improved biomass utilization,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2000.
- B. L. Maiorella, H. W. Blanch, and C. R. Wilke, “Economic evaluation of alternative ethanol fermentation processes,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1003–1025, 1984.
- C. Felby, L. G. Thygesen, J. B. Kristensen, H. Jørgensen, and T. Elder, “Cellulose-water interactions during enzymatic hydrolysis as studied by time domain NMR,” Cellulose, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 703–710, 2008.
- L. Laureano-Perez, F. Teymouri, H. Alizadeh, and B. E. Dale, “Understanding factors that limit enzymatic hydrolysis of biomass: characterization of pretreated corn stover,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 124, no. 1–3, pp. 1081–1099, 2005.
- C. H. Kim, A. Z. Abidin, C. C. Ngee, and S. K. Rhee, “Pilot-Scale ethanol fermentation by Zymomonas mobilis from simultaneously saccharified sago starch,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1992.