- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 937918, 6 pages
Bovine Papillomavirus Type 2 Infection and Microscopic Patterns of Urothelial Tumors of the Urinary Bladder in Water Buffaloes
1Department of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Productions, Naples University Federico II, Via Delpino 1, 80137 Naples, Italy
2Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ankara University, 06110 Ankara, Turkey
3Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
4Department of Biology, Naples University Federico II, 80134 Naples, Italy
Received 22 February 2013; Accepted 22 April 2013
Academic Editor: Rita de Cassia Stocco
Copyright © 2013 Paola Maiolino et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Meuten, “Tumors of the urinary bladder and urethra,” in Tumors in Domestic Animals, D. J. Meuten, Ed., pp. 524–546, Iowa State Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 2002.
- A. M. Pamukcu, J. M. Price, and G. T. Bryan, “Naturally occurring and bracken fern induced bovine urinary bladder tumors. Clinical and morphological characteristics,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 110–122, 1976.
- I. A. Özkul and Y. Aydin, “Tumours of the urinary bladder in cattle and water buffalo in the black sea region of Turkey,” British Veterinary Journal, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 473–475, 1996.
- S. Roperto, G. Borzacchiello, R. Brun et al., “A review of bovine urothelial tumours and tumour-like lesions of the urinary bladder,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 142, no. 2-3, pp. 95–108, 2010.
- R. M. Gil da Costa, M. M. Bastos, P. A. Oliveira, and C. Lopes, “Bracken-associated human and animal health hazards: chemical, biological and pathological evidence,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 203-204, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- R. M. Gil da Costa, P. A. Oliveira, M. M. Bastos, C. C. Lopes, and C. Lopes, “Ptaquiloside-induced early-stage urothelial lesions show increased cell proliferation and intact β-catenin and e-cadherin expression,” Environmental Toxicology, 2012.
- M. S. Campo, W. F. H. Jarrett, R. Barron, B. W. O'Neil, and K. T. Smith, “Association of bovine papillomavirus type 2 and bracken fern with bladder cancer in cattle,” Cancer Research, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 6898–6904, 1992.
- G. Borzacchiello, G. Lovane, M. L. Marcante et al., “Presence of bovine papillomavirus type 2 DNA and expression of the viral oncoprotein E5 in naturally occurring urinary bladder tumours in cows,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 2921–2926, 2003.
- S. R. Wosiacki, M. P. Claus, A. F. Alfieri, and A. A. Alfieri, “Bovine papillomavirus type 2 detection in the urinary bladder of cattle with chronic enzootic haematuria,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 635–638, 2006.
- S. Roperto, R. Brun, F. Paolini et al., “Detection of bovine papillomavirus type 2 in the peripheral blood of cattle with urinary bladder tumours: possible biological role,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 3027–3033, 2008.
- S. Roperto, S. Comazzi, E. Ciusani et al., “PBMCS are additional sites of productive infection of bovine papillomavirus type 2,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 1787–1794, 2011.
- S. Roperto, V. Russo, A. Özkul, et al., “Bovine papillomavirus type 2 infects the urinary bladder of water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) and plays a crucial role in bubaline urothelial carcinogenesis,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 94, pp. 403–408, 2013.
- G. Borzacchiello, V. Russo, F. Gentile et al., “Bovine papillomavirus E5 oncoprotein binds to the activated form of the platelet-derived growth factor β receptor in naturally occurring bovine urinary bladder tumours,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1251–1260, 2006.
- S. Roperto, R. de Tullio, C. Raso, et al., “Calpain3 is expressed in a proteolitically active form in papillomavirus-associated urothelial tumors of the urinary bladder in cattle,” Plos One, vol. 5, no. 4, Article ID e10299, 2010.
- J. N. Eble, G. Sauter, J. I. Epstein, and I. A. Sesterhenn, World Health Organization Classification of Tumours: Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2004.
- A. M. Pamukcu, “Tumours of the urinary bladder,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 50, no. 1-2, pp. 43–52, 1974.
- R. Somvanshi, S. Pathania, N. Nagarajan, K. Pangty, and P. Kumar, “Pathological study of non-neolastic urinary bladder lesions in cattle and buffaloes: a preliminary report,” Tropical Animal Healthy Production, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 855–861, 2012.
- F. Aloisi and R. Pujol-Borrell, “Lymphoid neogenesis in chronic inflammatory diseases,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 205–217, 2006.
- Y. Modis, B. L. Trus, and S. C. Harrison, “Atomic model of the papillomavirus capsid,” EMBO Journal, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 4754–4762, 2002.
- B. Marchetti, G. H. Ashrafi, E. Tsirimonaki, P. M. O'Brien, and M. S. Campo, “The bovine papillomavirus oncoprotein E5 retains MHC class I molecules in the Golgi apparatus and prevents their transport to the cell surface,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 51, pp. 7808–7816, 2002.
- A. Viola, A. Sarukhan, V. Bronte, and B. Molon, “The pros and cons of chemokines in tumor Immunology,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 33, pp. 496–504, 2012.
- R. M. Peek, S. Mohla, and R. N. DuBois, “Inflammation in the genesis and perpetuation of cancer: summary and recommendations from a National Cancer Institute-sponsored meeting,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 19, pp. 8583–8586, 2005.