- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 943505, 5 pages
Lipoprotein(a) Serum Levels in Diabetic Patients with Retinopathy
1International Ph. D. Program in Neuropharmacology, University of Catania, 95123 Catania, Italy
2Department of Ophthalmology, University of Catania, 95123 Catania, Italy
3Research Center “La Grande Senescenza”, University of Catania, 95125 Catania, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 21 May 2013
Academic Editor: Ronald L. Klein
Copyright © 2013 Giulia Malaguarnera et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. S. Jung and K. Park, “Posttraumatic bilateral internuclear ophthalmoplegia with exotropia,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 61, no. 3, p. 429, 2004.
- S. Wild, G. Roglic, A. Green, R. Sicree, and H. King, “Global Prevalence of Diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1047–1053, 2004.
- J. H. Kempen, B. J. O'Colmain, M. C. Leske et al., “The prevalence of diabetic retinopathy among adults in the United States,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 552–563, 2004.
- R. S. Newfield, M. Polak, R. Marchase, and P. Czernichow, “Epidemiology and genetics of diabetic complications,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. B62–B64, 1997.
- T. C. Hohman, C. Nishimura, and W. G. Robison Jr., “Aldose reductase and polyol in cultured pericytes of human retinal capillaries,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 1989.
- E. Duh and L. P. Aiello, “Vascular endothelial growth factor and diabetes: the agonist versus antagonist paradox,” Diabetes, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1899–1906, 1999.
- T. J. Orchard, “Dyslipoproteinemia and diabetes,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 361–380, 1990.
- M. D. Davis, “Worsening of diabetic retinopathy after improvement of glycemic control,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 116, no. 7, pp. 931–932, 1998.
- N. I. Uçgun, Z. Yildirim, N. Kiliç, and E. Gürsel, “The importance of serum lipids in exudative diabetic macular edema in type 2 diabetic patients,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1100, pp. 213–217, 2007.
- G. Utermann, H. J. Menzel, H. G. Kraft, H. C. Duba, H. G. Kemmler, and C. Seitz, “Lp(a) glycoprotein phenotypes. Inheritance and relation to Lp(a)-lipoprotein concentrations in plasma,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 458–465, 1987.
- L. A. Miles, G. M. Fless, E. G. Levin, A. M. Scanu, and E. F. Plow, “A potential basis for the thrombotic risks associated with lipoprotein(a),” Nature, vol. 339, no. 6222, pp. 301–303, 1989.
- K. A. Hajjar, D. Gavish, J. L. Breslow, and R. L. Nachman, “Lipoprotein(a) modulation of endothelial cell surface fibrinolysis and its potential role in atherosclerosis,” Nature, vol. 339, no. 6222, pp. 303–305, 1989.
- M. Malaguarnera, M. Vacante, C. Russo, et al., “Lipoprotein(a) in cardiovascular diseases,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 650989, 9 pages, 2013.
- M. C. Leske, S. Wu, L. Hyman et al., “Diabetic retinopathy in a black population: the Barbados eye study,” Ophthalmology, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 1893–1899, 1999.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- E. J. Schaefer and J. M. Ordovas, “Metabolism of apolipoproteins A-I, A-II, and A-IV,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 129, pp. 420–443, 1986.
- J. M. Ordovas, J. P. Peterson, P. Santaniello, J. S. Cohn, P. W. F. Wilson, and E. J. Schaefer, “Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for human plasma apolipoprotein B,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1216–1224, 1987.
- S. Lenzi, A. Scanu, and R. De Caterina, “Lipoprotein(a) as an athero-thrombotic risk factor: epidemiological evidence and possible pathogenetic mechanisms,” Giornale Italiano di Cardiologia, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1203–1225, 1996.
- F. Galvano, M. Malaguarnera, M. Vacante et al., “The physiopathology of lipoprotein (a),” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 2, pp. 866–875, 2010.
- G. Steiner, “Dyslipoproteinemias in diabetes,” Clinical & Investigative Medicine, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 282–287, 1995.
- L. Rampello, I. Vecchio, G. Battaglia, G. Malaguarnera, and L. Rampello, “Diabetic neuropathy. Elements of epidemiology and pathophysiology,” Acta Medica Mediterranea, vol. 28, p. 219, 2012.
- R. F. Klein, K. R. Feingold, C. Morgan, W. H. Stern, and M. D. Siperstein, “Relationship of muscle capillary basement membrane thickness and diabetic retinopathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 195–199, 1987.
- M. Rodriguez-Fontal, J. B. Kerrison, D. V. Alfaro, and E. P. Jablon, “Metabolic control and diabetic retinopathy,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2009.
- P. Calmarza and J. C. Vella, “Lipids, lipoproteins and apolipoprotein (a) isoforms in type 2 diabetic patients,” Journal of Cardiovascular Risk, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 171–175, 1999.
- I. C. Klausen, F. E. Nielsen, L. Hegedus, L. U. Gerdes, P. Charles, and O. Faergeman, “Treatment of hypothyroidism reduces low-density lipoproteins but not lipoprotein(a),” Metabolism, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 911–914, 1992.
- L. C. Ramirez, C. Arauz-Pacheco, C. Lackner, G. Albright, B. V. Adams, and P. Raskin, “Lipoprotein (a) levels in diabetes mellitus: relationship to metabolic control,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 1992.
- A. Pérez, G. Carreras, A. Caixàs, et al., “Plasma lipoprotein(a) levels are not influenced by glycemic control in type 1 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1517–1520, 1998.
- S. M. Haffner, K. K. Gruber, P. A. Morales et al., “Lipoprotein(a) concentrations in Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whites: the San Antonio Heart Study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 136, no. 9, pp. 1060–1068, 1992.
- A. J. Jenkins, J. S. Steele, E. D. Janus, J. D. Santamaria, and J. D. Best, “Plasma apolipoprotein (a) is increased in Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetic patients with microalbuminuria,” Diabetologia, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1055–1059, 1992.
- D. L. Rainwater, J. W. MacCluer, M. P. Stern, J. L. VandeBerg, and S. M. Haffner, “Effects of NIDDM on lipoprotein(a) concentration and apolipoprotein(a) size,” Diabetes, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 942–946, 1994.
- M. A. Gall, P. Rossing, E. Hommel et al., “Apolipoprotein(a) in insulin-dependent diabetic patients with and without diabetic nephropathy,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 513–521, 1992.
- M. M. Ritter, M. Loscar, W. O. Richter, and P. Schwandt, “Lipoprotein(a) in diabetes mellitus,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 1993.
- R. E. Maser, C. Laudadio, and G. S. DeCherney, “The effects of age and diabetes mellitus on nerve function,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1202–1204, 1993.
- J. M. Taupin, V. Durlach, M. Hassaim et al., “Lipoprotein (a) and diabetes: correlations based on 224 case histories,” Diabete et Metabolisme, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 250–256, 1993.
- M. Maioli, G. Tonolo, A. Pacifico et al., “Raised serum apolipoprotein (a) in active diabetic retinopathy,” Diabetologia, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 88–90, 1993.
- C. Gazzaruso, A. Garzaniti, P. Buscaglia et al., “Lipoprotein(a) levels and apolipoprotein(a) polymorphism in type 1 diabetes mellitus: relationships to microvascular and neurological complications,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 1998.
- L. Zhang, B. Chen, and L. Tang, “Metabolic memory: mechanisms and implications for diabetic retinopathy,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 286–293, 2012.
- C. H. Kim, H. J. Park, J. Y. Park, S. Hong, Y. Yoon, and K. Lee, “High serum lipoprotein(a) levels in Korean type 2 diabetic patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 2149–2151, 1998.