- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 947157, 9 pages
Clinical Application Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin and Kidney Injury Molecule-1 as Indicators of Inflammation Persistence and Acute Kidney Injury in Children with Urinary Tract Infection
1Department of Medical Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, P.O. Box 146, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
2School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
3Department of Nephrology, University Children’s Hospital, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Received 8 April 2013; Revised 10 June 2013; Accepted 14 June 2013
Academic Editor: Vickram Ramkumar
Copyright © 2013 Stanislava Petrovic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Yilmaz, E. Sevketoglu, A. Gedikbasi et al., “Early prediction of urinary tract infection with urinary neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2387–2392, 2009.
- S. Hansson and U. Jodal, “Urinary tract infection,” in Pediatric Nephrology, E. D. Avner, W. E. B. Harmon, and P. Niaudet, Eds., pp. 1007–1025, Lippincott Williams&Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2004.
- R. K. Basu and D. Wheeler, “Approaches to the management of acute kidney injury in children,” Recent Patents on Biomarkers, vol. 1, pp. 49–59, 2011.
- D. J. Askenazi, D. I. Feig, N. M. Graham, S. Hui-Stickle, and S. L. Goldstein, “3–5 year longitudinal follow-up of pediatric patients after acute renal failure,” Kidney International, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 184–189, 2006.
- Z. Al-Ismaili, A. Palijan, and M. Zappitelli, “Biomarkers of acute kidney injury in children: discovery, evaluation, and clinical application,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 29–40, 2011.
- W. K. Han and J. V. Bonventre, “Biologic markers for the early detection of acute kidney injury,” Current Opinion in Critical Care, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 476–482, 2004.
- M. T. Nguyen and P. Devarajan, “Biomarkers for the early detection of acute kidney injury,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 2151–2157, 2008.
- M. Zaffanello, M. Franchini, and V. Fanos, “Review: is serum cystatin-C a suitable marker of renal function in children?” Annals of Clinical and Laboratory Science, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 233–240, 2007.
- V. Y. Melnikov, T. Ecder, G. Fantuzzi et al., “Impaired IL-18 processing protects caspase-1-deficient mice from ischemic acute renal failure,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 107, no. 9, pp. 1145–1152, 2001.
- K. K. Washburn, M. Zappitelli, A. A. Arikan et al., “Urinary interleukin-18 is an acute kidney injury biomarker in critically ill children,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 566–572, 2008.
- P. Devarajan, “Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin—an emerging troponin for kidney injury,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 3737–3743, 2008.
- L. Kjeldsen, D. F. Bainton, H. Sengelov, and N. Borregaard, “Structural and functional heterogeneity among peroxidase-negative granules in human neutrophils: identification of a distinct gelatinase-containing granule subset by combined immunocytochemistry and subcellular fractionation,” Blood, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 3183–3191, 1993.
- M. Zappitelli, K. K. Washburn, A. A. Arikan et al., “Urine neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin is an early marker of acute kidney injury in critically ill children: a prospective cohort study,” Critical Care, vol. 11, article R84, 2007.
- D. S. Wheeler, P. Devarajan, Q. Ma et al., “Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) as a marker of acute kidney injury in critically ill children with septic shock,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 1297–1303, 2008.
- T. Ichimura, J. V. Bonventre, V. Bailly et al., “Kidney injury molecule-1 (KIM-1), a putative epithelial cell adhesion molecule containing a novel immunoglobulin domain, is up-regulated in renal cells after injury,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 7, pp. 4135–4142, 1998.
- W. K. Han, V. Bailly, R. Abichandani, R. Thadhani, and J. V. Bonventre, “Kidney Injury Molecule-1 (KIM-1): a novel biomarker for human renal proximal tubule injury,” Kidney International, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 237–244, 2002.
- V. Bailly, Z. Zhang, W. Meier, R. Cate, M. Sanicola, and J. V. Bonventre, “Shedding of kidney injury molecule-1, a putative adhesion protein involved in renal regeneration,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 42, pp. 39739–39748, 2002.
- J. V. Bonventre and L. Yang, “Kidney injury molecule-1,” Current Opinion in Critical Care, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 556–561, 2010.
- W. K. Han, S. S. Waikar, A. Johnson et al., “Urinary biomarkers in the early diagnosis of acute kidney injury,” Kidney International, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 863–869, 2008.
- Y. Du, M. Zappitelli, A. Mian et al., “Urinary biomarkers to detect acute kidney injury in the pediatric emergency center,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 267–274, 2011.
- G. J. Schwartz, A. Muñoz, M. F. Schneider et al., “New equations to estimate GFR in children with CKD,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 629–637, 2009.
- V. Langlois, “Laboratory evaluation at different ages,” in Comprehensive Pediatric Nephrology, D. F. Geary and F. Schaefer, Eds., pp. 42–43, Mosby Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- T. A. Pearson, G. A. Mensah, R. W. Alexander et al., “Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: application to clinical and public health practice: a statement for healthcare professionals from the centers for disease control and prevention and the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 499–511, 2003.
- D. M. Williams, S. S. Sreedhar, J. J. Mickell, and J. C. M. Chan, “Acute kidney failure: a pediatric experience over 20 years,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 156, no. 9, pp. 893–900, 2002.
- S. Hui-Stickle, E. D. Brewer, and S. L. Goldstein, “Pediatric ARF epidemiology at a tertiary care center from 1999 to 2001,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 96–101, 2005.
- J. F. Price, A. R. Mott, H. A. Dickerson et al., “Worsening renal function in children hospitalized with decompensated heart failure: evidence for a pediatric cardiorenal syndrome?” Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 279–284, 2008.
- A. Akcan-Arikan, M. Zappitelli, L. L. Loftis, K. K. Washburn, L. S. Jefferson, and S. L. Goldstein, “Modified RIFLE criteria in critically ill children with acute kidney injury,” Kidney International, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1028–1035, 2007.
- F. B. Plötz, A. B. Bouma, J. A. E. Van Wijk, M. C. J. Kneyber, and A. Bökenkamp, “Pediatric acute kidney injury in the ICU: an independent evaluation of pRIFLE criteria,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1713–1717, 2008.
- R. L. Mehta, J. A. Kellum, S. V. Shah et al., “Acute kidney injury network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury,” Critical Care (London, England), vol. 11, no. 2, article R31, 2007.
- L. Andersson, I. Preda, M. Hahn-Zoric et al., “Urinary proteins in children with urinary tract infection,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1533–1538, 2009.
- T. Berger, A. Togawa, G. S. Duncan et al., “Lipocalin 2-deficient mice exhibit increased sensitivity to Escherichia coli infection but not to ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1834–1839, 2006.
- M. Ichino, Y. Kuroyanagi, M. Kusaka et al., “Increased urinary neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin levels in a rat model of upper urinary tract infection,” Journal of Urology, vol. 181, no. 5, pp. 2326–2331, 2009.
- R. Hirsch, C. Dent, H. Pfriem et al., “NGAL is an early predictive biomarker of contrast-induced nephropathy in children,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2089–2095, 2007.
- M. M. Mitsnefes, T. S. Kathman, J. Mishra et al., “Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of renal function in children with chronic kidney disease,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 101–108, 2007.
- T. Pisitkun, R. Johnstone, and M. A. Knepper, “Discovery of urinary biomarkers,” Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1760–1771, 2006.
- S. Xu and P. Venge, “Lipocalins as biochemical markers of disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1482, no. 1-2, pp. 298–307, 2000.
- S. G. Coca and C. R. Parikh, “Urinary biomarkers for acute kidney injury: perspectives on translation,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 481–490, 2008.
- J. Fontanilla and W. K. Han, “Kidney injury molecule-1 as an early detection tool for acute kidney injury and other kidney diseases,” Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 161–173, 2011.
- T. Ichimura, E. J. P. V. Asseldonk, B. D. Humphreys, L. Gunaratnam, J. S. Duffield, and J. V. Bonventre, “Kidney injury molecule-1 is a phosphatidylserine receptor that confers a phagocytic phenotype on epithelial cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 1657–1668, 2008.
- M. M. van Timmeren, M. C. van den Heuvel, V. Bailly, S. J. L. Bakker, H. van Goor, and C. A. Stegeman, “Tubular kidney injury molecule-1 (KIM-1) in human renal disease,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 209–217, 2007.