- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 947687, 6 pages
Role of Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in the Production of Prostaglandin E2 and Nitric Oxide during Experimental Murine Paracoccidioidomycosis
1Department of Agricultural Sciences-Food Science, State University of Maringa, Avenida Colombo 5.790, 87.020-900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
2Department of Basic Health Sciences, State University of Maringa, Avenida Colombo 5.790, 87.020-900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
3Department of Chemistry, State University of Maringa, Avenida Colombo 5.790, 87.020-900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
Received 18 April 2013; Revised 25 September 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013
Academic Editor: Yoshio Ishibashi
Copyright © 2013 S. C. Sargi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Tou, S. N. Altman, J. C. Gigliotti, V. A. Benedito, and E. L. Cordonier, “Different sources of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids affects apparent digestibility, tissue deposition, and tissue oxidative stability in growing female rats,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 179, 2011.
- J. A. L. Perini, F. B. Stevanato, J. E. L. Visentainer et al., “Incorporation of n-3 fatty acids by the liver of mice fed linseed oil as a function of feeding duration,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 307–313, 2011.
- E. A. Trautwein, “n-3 fatty acids—physiological and technical aspects for their use in food,” European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 45–55, 2001.
- Z. Song, H. Cao, L. Qin, and Y. Jiang, “A case-control study between gene polymorphisms of polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolic rate-limiting enzymes and acute coronary syndrome in Chinese Han population,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 928178, 7 pages, 2013.
- M. Murakami, “Lipid mediators in life science,” Experimental Animals, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 7–20, 2011.
- D. S. Kelley, “Modulation of human immune and inflammatory responses by dietary fatty acids,” Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 669–673, 2001.
- M. J. James, R. A. Gibson, and L. G. Cleland, “Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and inflammatory mediator production,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 343S–348S, 2000.
- P. Zhang, R. Smith, R. S. Chapkin, and D. N. McMurray, “Dietary (n-3) polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate murine Th1/Th2 balance toward the Th2 pole by suppression of Th1 development,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 7, pp. 1745–1751, 2005.
- I. H. Skuladottir, D. H. Petursdottir, and I. Hardardottir, “The effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on TNF-α and IL-10 secretion by murine peritoneal cells in vitro,” Lipids, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 699–706, 2007.
- E. Brummer, L. E. Castaneda, and A. Restrepo, “Paracoccidioidomycosis: an update,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 89–117, 1993.
- A. Restrepo, G. Benard, C. C. de Castro, C. A. Agudelo, and A. M. Tobón, “Pulmonary paracoccidioidomycosis,” Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 182–197, 2008.
- M. Ramos-e-Silva and L. D. E. S. Saraiva, “Paracoccidioidomycosis,” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 257–269, 2008.
- A. Gonzalez, W. De Gregori, D. Velez, A. Restrepo, and L. E. Cano, “Nitric oxide participation in the fungicidal mechanism of gamma interferon-activated murine macrophages against Paracoccidioides brasiliensis conidia,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 2546–2552, 2000.
- S. C. Sargi, M. M. de Oliveira Dalalio, J. V. Visentainer et al., “Production of TNF-α, nitric oxide and hydrogen peroxide by macrophages from mice with paracoccidioidomycosis that were fed a linseed oil-enriched diet,” Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 303–309, 2012.
- National Research Council, Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1995.
- V. Dubois, S. Breton, M. Linder, J. Fanni, and M. Parmentier, “Fatty acid profiles of 80 vegetable oils with regard to their nutritional potential,” European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 710–732, 2007.
- M. Asif, “Health effects of omega-3,6,9 fatty acids: Perilla frustecens is a good example of plant oils,” Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2011.
- E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer, “A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification,” Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 911–917, 1959.
- J. D. Joseph and R. G. Ackman, “Capillary column gas chromatography method for analysis of encapsulated fish oil and fish oil ethyl esters: collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 75, pp. 488–506, 1992.
- J. V. Visentainer, “Aspectos analíticos da resposta do detector de ionização em chama para ésteres de ácidos graxos em biodiesel e alimentos,” Quimica Nova, vol. 35, pp. 274–279, 2012.
- C. Fava Netto, V. S. Vegas, I. M. Sciannamea, and D. B. Guarnieri, “Antígeno polissacarídico do Paracoccidioides brasiliensis: estudo do tempo de cultivo do P. brasiliensis necessário ao preparo do antígeno,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, vol. 11, pp. 177–181, 1969.
- F. R. F. Nascimento, V. L. G. Calich, D. Rodríguez, and M. Russo, “Dual role for nitric oxide in paracoccidioidomycosis: essential for resistance, but overproduction associated with susceptibility,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 168, no. 9, pp. 4593–4600, 2002.
- StatSoft, Statistica 8.0 Software, Tucksa: StatSoft, 2007.
- J. W. C. Sijben and P. C. Calder, “Differential immunomodulation with long-chain n-3 PUFA in health and chronic disease,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 237–259, 2007.
- G. A. Biondo, L. A. Dias-Melicio, A. P. Bordon-Graciani, M. J. Acorci-Valério, and A. M. V. C. Soares, “Paracoccidioides brasiliensis uses endogenous and exogenous arachidonic acid for PGEx production,” Mycopathologia, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 123–130, 2010.
- A. McIlroy, G. Caron, S. Blanchard et al., “Histamine and prostaglandin E2 up-regulate the production of Th2-attracting chemokines (CCL17 and CCL22) and down-regulate IFN-γ-induced CXCL10 production by immature human dendritic cells,” Immunology, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 507–516, 2006.
- J. R. Erb-Downward and M. C. Noverr, “Characterization of prostaglandin E2 production by Candida albicans,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 75, no. 7, pp. 3498–3505, 2007.
- A. P. Bordon, L. A. Dias-Melicio, M. J. Acorci, S. A. Calvi, M. T. Serrão Peraçoli, and A. M. V. C. Soares, “Prostaglandin E2 inhibits Paracoccidioides brasiliensis killing by human monocytes,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 744–747, 2007.
- P. C. Calder, “n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and inflammatory diseases,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1505S–1519S, 2006.
- P. C. Calder, “Immunomodulation by omega-3 fatty acids,” Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, vol. 77, no. 5-6, pp. 327–335, 2007.
- J. Â. D. L. Perini, F. B. Stevanato, S. C. Sargi et al., “Omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids: metabolism in mammals and immune response,” Revista de Nutrição, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1075–1086, 2010.
- C. Pompéia, L. R. Lopes, C. K. Miyasaka, J. Procópio, P. Sannomiya, and R. Curi, “Effect of fatty acids on leukocyte function,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1255–1268, 2000.
- P. M. M. Andrade and M. G. Carmo, “Ácidos graxos n-3: um link entre eicosanóides, inflamação e imunidade,” Revista Mn-Metabólica, vol. 8, pp. 135–143, 2006.
- R. de la Puerta, A. Marquez-Martin, A. Fernandez-Arche, and V. Ruiz-Gutierrez, “Influence of dietary fat on oxidative stress and inflammation in murine macrophages,” Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 548–554, 2009.
- G. Benard, “An overview of the immunopathology of human paracoccidioidomycosis,” Mycopathologia, vol. 165, no. 4-5, pp. 209–221, 2008.
- S. Kew, T. Banerjee, A. M. Minihane et al., “Lack of effect of foods enriched with plant- or marine-derived n-3 fatty acids on human immune function,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1287–1295, 2003.