- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 952416, 10 pages
Gene Gun Bombardment with DNA-Coated Golden Particles Enhanced the Protective Effect of a DNA Vaccine Based on Thioredoxin Glutathione Reductase of Schistosoma japonicum
Shanghai Veterinary Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Key Laboratory of Animal Parasitology of Ministry of Agriculture, 518 Ziyue Road, Minhang, Shanghai 200241, China
Received 18 June 2012; Revised 19 August 2012; Accepted 9 September 2012
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2013 Yan Cao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Zeng, X. Yang, S. Meng, et al., “Awareness and knowledge of schistosomiasis infection and prevention in the, “Three Gorges Dam” reservoir area: a cross-sectional study on local residents and health personnel,” Acta Tropica, vol. 120, pp. 238–244, 2011.
- A. Fenwick and J. P. Webster, “Schistosomiasis: challenges for control, treatment and drug resistance,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 577–582, 2006.
- Y. X. He, B. Salafsky, and K. Ramaswamy, “Host-parasite relationships of Schistosoma japonicum in mammalian hosts,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 320–324, 2001.
- D. Zhou, Y. Li, and X. Yang, “Schistosomiasis control in China,” World Health Forum, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 387–389, 1994.
- D. M. Renquist, A. J. Johnson, J. C. Lewis, and D. J. Johnson, “A natural case of Schistosoma mansoni in the chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes versus),” Laboratory Animal Science, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 763–768, 1975.
- C. V. Yason and M. N. Novilla, “Clinical and pathologic features of experimental Schistosoma japonicum infection in pigs,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 47–64, 1984.
- D. J. Gray, G. M. Williams, Y. Li, and D. P. McManus, “Transmission dynamics of Schistosoma japonicum in the lakes and marshlands of China,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 12, Article ID e4058, 2008.
- Z. S. Wu, T. G. Wang, X. S. Zhang et al., “Snail control by using soil pasting mixed with niclosamide,” Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 569–573, 2008.
- M. Doenhoff, Q. Bickle, J. Bain, G. Webbe, and G. Nelson, “Factors affecting the acquisition of resistance against Schistosoma mansoni in the mouse. V. Reduction in the degree of resistance to reinfection after chemotherapeutic elimination of recently patent primary infections,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 1980.
- E. S. Reda, A. Ouhtit, S. H. Abdeen, and E. A. El-Shabasy, “Structural changes of Schistosoma mansoni adult worms recovered from C57BL/6 mice treated with radiation-attenuated vaccine and/or praziquantel against infection,” Parasitology Research, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 979–992, 2011.
- D. P. McManus and J. P. Dalton, “Vaccines against the zoonotic trematodes Schistosoma japonicum, Fasciola hepatica and Fasciola gigantica,” Parasitology, vol. 133, supplement, pp. S43–S61, 2006.
- S. C. Oliveira, C. T. Fonseca, F. C. Cardoso, L. P. Farias, and L. C. C. Leite, “Recent advances in vaccine research against schistosomiasis in Brazil,” Acta Tropica, vol. 108, no. 2-3, pp. 256–262, 2008.
- S. P. Wang, X. C. Chen, and D. M. Gao, “Research progress on schistosome vaccine and prospect of its application in China,” Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 402–411, 2009.
- A. El Amir, “Effect of mouse strain on humoral responses to Schistosoma mansoni irradiated cercariae vaccine,” The Egyptian Journal of Immunology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 51–63, 2008.
- A. A. Da'Dara, P. J. Skelly, M. Wang, and D. A. Harn, “Immunization with plasmid DNA encoding the integral membrane protein, Sm23, elicits a protective immune response against schistosome infection in mice,” Vaccine, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 359–369, 2001.
- Y. Zhu, J. Ren, A. Da'dara et al., “The protective effect of a Schistosoma japonicum Chinese strain 23 kDa plasmid DNA vaccine in pigs is enhanced with IL-12,” Vaccine, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 78–83, 2004.
- R. Weiss, S. Scheiblhofer, J. Freund, F. Ferreira, I. Livey, and J. Thalhamer, “Gene gun bombardment with gold particles displays a particular Th2-promoting signal that over-rules the Th1-inducing effect of immunostimulatory CpG motifs in DNA vaccines,” Vaccine, vol. 20, no. 25-26, pp. 3148–3154, 2002.
- M. K. Jones, “Structure and diversity of cestode epithelia,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 913–923, 1998.
- M. K. Jones, G. N. Gobert, L. Zhang, P. Sunderland, and D. P. McManus, “The cytoskeleton and motor proteins of human schistosomes and their roles in surface maintenance and host-parasite interactions,” BioEssays, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 752–765, 2004.
- A. Loukas, M. Tran, and M. S. Pearson, “Schistosome membrane proteins as vaccines,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 257–263, 2007.
- M. H. Tran, M. S. Pearson, J. M. Bethony et al., “Tetraspanins on the surface of Schistosoma mansoni are protective antigens against schistosomiasis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 835–840, 2006.
- J. J. Van Hellemond, K. Retra, J. F. H. M. Brouwers et al., “Functions of the tegument of schistosomes: clues from the proteome and lipidome,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 691–699, 2006.
- M. Zhang, Y. Han, Z. Zhu et al., “Cloning, expression, and characterization of Schistosoma japonicum tegument protein phosphodiesterase-5,” Parasitology Research, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 775–786, 2011.
- P. Zhang, W. N. Zhang, C. P. Ren, M. Liu, and J. J. Shen, “Construction of DNA vaccine pcDNA3.1(+)/tetraspanin 2-A against Schistosoma japonicum and its immune-protective effect in mice,” Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 534–536, 2009.
- S. Liu, J. Cheng, C. Tang et al., “Construction and expression of DNA vaccine pIRES-Sj97-Sj14-Sj26 and its immunogenicity in mice,” Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 625–629, 2008.
- M. Kasny, L. Mikes, K. Doleckova, et al., “Cathepsins B1 and B2 of Trichobilharzia SPP., bird schistosomes causing cercarial dermatitis,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 712, pp. 136–154, 2011.
- X. H. Li, J. P. Cao, L. H. Tang et al., “Protective efficacy induced by dendritic cells pulsed with GST in combination with CpG oligodeoxynucleotide against Schistosoma japonicum infection,” Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 185–189, 2010.
- Y. Zhu, F. Lu, Y. Dai et al., “Synergistic enhancement of immunogenicity and protection in mice against Schistosoma japonicum with codon optimization and electroporation delivery of SjTPI DNA vaccines,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 32, pp. 5347–5355, 2010.
- Y. Han, “Characterization of thioredoxin glutathione reductase in Schiotosoma japonicum,” Parasitology International, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 475–480, 2011.
- L. Song, J. Li, S. Xie, et al., “Thioredoxin glutathione reductase as a novel drug target: evidence from Schistosoma japonicum,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e31456, 2012.
- M. O. Diniz and L. C. S. Ferreira, “Enhanced anti-tumor effect of a gene gun-delivered DNA vaccine encoding the human papillomavirus type 16 oncoproteins genetically fused to the herpes simplex virus glycoprotein D,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 421–427, 2011.
- G. Ahmad, W. Zhang, W. Torben et al., “Protective and antifecundity effects of Sm-p80-based DNA vaccine formulation against Schistosoma mansoni in a nonhuman primate model,” Vaccine, vol. 27, no. 21, pp. 2830–2837, 2009.
- A. N. Kuntz, E. Davioud-Charvet, A. A. Sayed et al., “Thioredoxin glutathione reductase from Schistosoma mansoni: an essential parasite enzyme and a key drug target,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, article 206, 2007.
- W. A. Lea, A. Jadhav, G. Rai et al., “A 1,536-well-based kinetic HTS assay for inhibitors of Schistosoma mansoni thioredoxin glutathione reductase,” Assay and Drug Development Technologies, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 551–555, 2008.
- P. Šíma, M. Šmahel, F. Jelínek, and V. Vonka, “DNA vaccine against friend erythroleukaemia virus,” Folia Biologica, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 43–50, 2002.
- A. Yoshida, T. Nagata, M. Uchijima, T. Higashi, and Y. Koide, “Advantage of gene gun-mediated over intramuscular inoculation of plasmid DNA vaccine in reproducible induction of specific immune responses,” Vaccine, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 1725–1729, 2000.
- S. Gurunathan, C. Y. Wu, B. L. Freidag, and R. A. Seder, “DNA vaccines: a key for inducing long-term cellular immunity,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 442–447, 2000.
- J. R. Aldridge, E. C. Johnson, and R. E. Kuhn, “CpG stimulates protective immunity in Balb/cJ mice infected with larval Taenia crassiceps,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 920–928, 2010.
- R. Stewart, G. Thom, M. Levens, et al., “A variant human IgG1-Fc mediates improved ADCC,” Protein Engineering, Design & Selection, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 671–678, 2011.
- A. A. Da'dara, P. J. Skelly, M. Fatakdawala, S. Visovatti, E. Eriksson, and D. A. Harn, “Comparative efficacy of the Schistosoma mansoni nucleic acid vaccine, Sm23, following microseeding or gene gun delivery,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 179–187, 2002.
- J. J. Kim, J. S. Yang, L. Montaner, D. J. Lee, A. A. Chalian, and D. B. Weiner, “Coimmunization with IFN-γ or IL-2, but not IL-13 or IL-4 cDNA can enhance Th1-type DNA vaccine-induced immune responses in vivo,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 311–319, 2000.
- T. Tanaka, J. Hu-Li, R. A. Seder, B. F. D. S. Groth, and W. E. Paul, “Interleukin 4 suppresses interleukin 2 and interferon γ production by naive T cells stimulated by accessory cell-dependent receptor engagement,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 13, pp. 5914–5918, 1993.
- P. M. Sawant, P. C. Verma, P. K. Subudhi et al., “Immunomodulation of bivalent Newcastle disease DNA vaccine induced immune response by co-delivery of chicken IFN-γ and IL-4 genes,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 144, pp. 36–44, 2011.
- K. J. Ishii, W. R. Weiss, M. Ichino, D. Verthelyi, and D. M. Klinman, “Activity and safety of DNA plasmids encoding IL-4 and IFN gamma,” Gene Therapy, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 237–244, 1999.