- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 954542, 9 pages
Improvement of Medium Chain Fatty Acid Content and Antimicrobial Activity of Coconut Oil via Solid-State Fermentation Using a Malaysian Geotrichum candidum
1Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Faculty of Science and Technology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 43600 Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
3Iranian Fisheries Research Organization, West Fatemi, Tehran 1411816616, Iran
4Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
5Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 8 April 2013; Revised 19 June 2013; Accepted 28 June 2013
Academic Editor: Bidur Prasad Chaulagain
Copyright © 2013 Anahita Khoramnia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. B. Che Man and A. M. Marina, “Medium chain triacylglycerol,” in Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids and Their Co-Products, F. Shahidi, Ed., Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- S. Sado Kamdem, M. E. Guerzoni, J. Baranyi, and C. Pin, “Effect of capric, lauric and α-linolenic acids on the division time distributions of single cells of Staphylococcus aureus,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 122–128, 2008.
- S. L. Sado-Kamdem, L. Vannini, and M. E. Guerzoni, “Effect of α-linolenic, capric and lauric acid on the fatty acid biosynthesis in Staphylococcus aureus,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 288–294, 2009.
- P. Nobmann, A. Smith, J. Dunne, G. Henehan, and P. Bourke, “The antimicrobial efficacy and structure activity relationship of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives against Listeria spp. and food spoilage microorganisms,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 440–445, 2009.
- F. Dohme, F. Machmüller, F. Sutter, and M. Kreuzer, “Digestive and metabolic utilization of lauric, myristic and stearic acid in cows, and associated effects on milk fat quality,” Archives of Animal Nutrition, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 99–116, 2004.
- M. E. Guerzoni, R. Lanciotti, L. Vannini et al., “Variability of the lipolytic activity in Yarrowia lipolytica and its dependence on environmental conditions,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 1-2, pp. 79–89, 2001.
- J. J. Kabara, “Antimicrobial agents derived from fatty acids,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 397–403, 1984.
- K. A. Soni, R. Nannapaneni, M. W. Schilling, and V. Jackson, “Bactericidal activity of lauric arginate in milk and Queso Fresco cheese against Listeria monocytogenes cold growth,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 4518–4525, 2010.
- A. N. Hristov, M. V. Pol, M. Agle et al., “Effect of lauric acid and coconut oil on ruminal fermentation, digestion, ammonia losses from manure, and milk fatty acid composition in lactating cows,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 5561–5582, 2009.
- W. K. Mun, N. A. Rahman, S. Abd-Aziz, V. Sabaratnam, and M. A. Hassan, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of palm oil mill effluent solid using mixed cellulases from locally isolated fungi,” Research Journal of Microbiology, vol. 3, pp. 474–481, 2008.
- B. Saad, C. W. Ling, M. S. Jab et al., “Determination of free fatty acids in palm oil samples using non-aqueous flow injection titrimetric method,” Food Chemistry, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1407–1414, 2007.
- J. Destain, D. Roblain, and P. Thonart, “Improvement of lipase production from Yarrowia lipolytica,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 105–107, 1997.
- J. J. Kabara, D. M. Swieczkowski, A. J. Conley, and J. P. Truant, “Fatty acids and derivatives as antimicrobial agents,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 1972.
- K. Hernandez, E. Garcia-Verdugo, R. Porcar, and R. Fernandez-Lafuente, “Hydrolysis of triacetin catalyzed by immobilized lipases: effect of the immobilization protocol and experimental conditions on diacetin yield,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 48, no. 6-7, pp. 510–517, 2011.
- F. Eliskases-Lechner, M. Gueguen, and J. M. Panoff, “Yeasts and molds-Geotrichum candidum,” in Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences, J. W. Fuquay, Ed., Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2011.
- R. Boutrou and M. Guéguen, “Interests in Geotrichum candidum for cheese technology,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2005.
- A. Sabu, S. Sarita, A. Pandey, B. Bogar, G. Szakacs, and C. R. Soccol, “Solid-state fermentation for production of phytase by Rhizopus oligosporus,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 102-103, pp. 251–260, 2002.
- A. Khoramnia, A. Ebrahimpour, B. K. Beh, and O. M. Lai, “Production of a solvent, detergent, and thermotolerant lipase by a newly isolated Acinetobacter sp. in submerged and solid-state fermentations,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 702179, 12 pages, 2011.
- A. Pandey, L. Ashakumary, and P. Selvakumar, “Copra waste—a novel substrate for solid-state fermentation,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 51, no. 2-3, pp. 217–220, 1995.
- A. Aberkane, M. Cuenca-Estrella, A. Gomez-Lopez et al., “Comparative evaluation of two different methods of inoculum preparation for antifungal susceptibility testing of filamentous fungi,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 719–722, 2002.
- E. Rigo, J. L. Ninow, M. Di Luccio et al., “Lipase production by solid fermentation of soybean meal with different supplements,” LWT, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1132–1137, 2010.
- D. Y. Kwon and J. S. Rhee, “A simple and rapid colorimetric method for determination of free fatty acids for lipase assay,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 89–92, 1986.
- I. Nor Hayati, Y. B. Che Man, C. P. Tan, and I. Nor Aini, “Thermal behavior of concentrated oil-in-water emulsions based on soybean oil and palm kernel olein blends,” Food Research International, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1223–1232, 2009.
- M. Patgaonkar, C. Aranha, G. Bhonde, and K. V. R. Reddy, “Identification and characterization of anti-microbial peptides from rabbit vaginal fluid,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 139, no. 2–4, pp. 176–186, 2011.
- R. Ghanbari, A. Ebrahimpour, A. Abdul-Hamid, A. Ismail, and N. Saari, “Actinopyga lecanora hydrolysates as natural antibacterial agents,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, pp. 16796–16811, 2012.
- M. K. Tahoun, “Fatty acid and position specificities of an intracellular lipase from Geotrichum candidum,” Fat Science and Technology, vol. 89, pp. 318–332, 1987.
- J. Lecocq, Interactions entre Geotrichum candidum et Brevibacterium linens Influence de facteurs intervenant entechnologie fromagère [Ph.D. thesis], Universitè de Caen, 1991.
- M. K. Tahoun, E. Mostafa, R. Mashaly, and S. Abou-Donia, “Lipase induction in Geotrichum candidum,” Milchwissenschaft, vol. 37, pp. 86–88, 1982.
- P. Gervais and P. Molin, “The role of water in solid-state fermentation,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 85–101, 2003.
- S. Rodríguez Couto and M. A. Sanromán, “Application of solid-state fermentation to ligninolytic enzyme production,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 211–219, 2005.
- A. Khoramnia, O. M. Lai, A. Ebrahimpour, C. J. Tanduba, T. S. Voon, and S. Mukhlis, “Thermostable lipase from a newly isolated Staphylococcus xylosus strain; process optimization and characterization using RSM and ANN,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 5, 2010.
- M. L. M. Fernandes, N. Krieger, A. M. Baron, P. P. Zamora, L. P. Ramos, and D. A. Mitchell, “Hydrolysis and synthesis reactions catalysed by Thermomyces lanuginosa lipase in the AOT/Isooctane reversed micellar system,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2004.
- A. Martínez-Ruiz, H. S. García, G. Saucedo-Castañeda, and E. Favela-Torres, “Organic phase synthesis of ethyl oleate using lipases produced by solid-state fermentation,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 151, no. 2-3, pp. 393–401, 2008.
- G. Parfene, V. Horincar, A. K. Tyagi, A. Malik, and G. Bahrim, “Production of medium chain saturated fatty acids with enhanced antimicrobial activity from crude coconut fat by solid state cultivation of Yarrowia lipolytica,” Food Chemistry, vol. 136, pp. 1345–1349, 2013.
- J. M. Carroll, United States of America Patent No. Rumbaugh, Graves, Donohue & Raymond, 1980.
- A. Ruzin and R. P. Novick, “Equivalence of lauric acid and glycerol monolaurate as inhibitors of signal transduction in Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 182, no. 9, pp. 2668–2671, 2000.
- B. W. Petschow, R. P. Batema, R. D. Talbott, and L. L. Ford, “Impact of medium-chain monoglycerides on intestinal colonisation by Vibrio cholerae or enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 383–389, 1998.
- M. Hayashi, “Feed additive for livestock and feed for livestock,” United States Patent 5, 462, 967, 1995.
- J. J. Kabara, “Fatty acids and dertivatives as antimicrobial agents,” in The Pharmacological Effect of Lipids, pp. 1–14, American Oil Chemists' Society, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1978.
- G. Bergsson, J. Arnfinnsson, Ó. Steingrímsson, and H. Thormar, “In vitro killing of Candida albicans by fatty acids and monoglycerides,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 3209–3212, 2001.
- L.-L. Wang and E. A. Johnson, “Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes by fatty acids and monoglycerides,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 624–629, 1992.
- K. A. Glass and E. A. Johnson, “Antagonistic effect of fat on the antibotulinal activity of food preservatives and fatty acids,” Food Microbiology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 675–682, 2004.
- A. Khoramnia, A. Ebrahimpour, B. K. Beh, and O. M. Lai, “In situ bioconversion of coconut oil via coconut solid state fermentation by Geotrichum candidum ATCC, 34614,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2013.
- D. Yang, D. Pornpattananangkul, T. Nakatsuji et al., “The antimicrobial activity of liposomal lauric acids against Propionibacterium acnes,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 30, pp. 6035–6040, 2009.
- E. Freese, C. W. Sheu, and E. Galliers, “Function of lipophilic acids as antimicrobial food additives,” Nature, vol. 241, no. 5388, pp. 321–325, 1973.
- G. Goel, K. Arvidsson, B. Vlaeminck, G. Bruggeman, K. Deschepper, and V. Fievez, “Effects of capric acid on rumen methanogenesis and biohydrogenation of linoleic and -linolenic acid,” Animal, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 810–816, 2009.
- T. Nakatsuji, M. C. Kao, and J. Y. Fang, “Antimicrobia property of lauric acid against P. acnea, its theraputical potential for inflammatory acnea vulgaris,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 124, pp. 2480–2488, 2009.
- T. Kitahara, Y. Aoyama, Y. Hirakata et al., “In vitro activity of lauric acid or myristylamine in combination with six antimicrobial agents against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA),” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2006.
- K. A. Soni, M. Desai, A. Oladunjoye, F. Skrobot, and R. Nannapaneni, “Reduction ofListeria monocytogenes in queso fresco cheese by a combination of listericidal and listeriostatic GRAS antimicrobials,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 155, no. 1-2, pp. 82–88, 2012.