- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 957547, 6 pages
Sexual Function in Women with Stress Urinary Incontinence Treated with the SPARC Sling System
1Department of Urology, Medical University of Graz (MUG), Auenbruggerplatz 7, 8036 Graz, Austria
2Department of Urology, University of Ottawa, Canada
3Department of Statistics, Medical University of Graz (MUG), Auenbruggerplatz 2/9/V, 8036 Graz, Austria
Received 15 April 2013; Revised 22 June 2013; Accepted 24 June 2013
Academic Editor: Pradeep Tyagi
Copyright © 2013 Badereddin Mohamad Al-Ali et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Abrams, L. Cardozo, M. Fall et al., “The standardisation of terminology of lower urinary tract function: report from the standardisation subcommittee of the International Continence Society,” Neurourology and Urodynamics, vol. 21, pp. 167–178, 2002.
- R. Botlero, D. M. Urquhart, S. R. Davis, and R. J. Bell, “Prevalence and incidence of urinary incontinence in women: review of the literature and investigation of methodological issues,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 230–234, 2008.
- O. Dalpiaz, A. Kerschbaumer, M. Mitterberger et al., “Female sexual dysfunction: a new urogynaecological research field,” BJU International, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 717–721, 2008.
- S. Oh, J. H. Ku, M. Choo, J. M. Yun, D. Y. Kim, and W. Park, “Health-related quality of life and sexual function in women with stress urinary incontinence and overactive bladder,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2008.
- D. M. Morgan, R. L. Dunn, J. T. Stoffel et al., “Are persistent or recurrent symptoms of urinary incontinence after surgery associated with adverse effects on sexual activity or function?” International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 509–511, 2008.
- B. L. Cohen, P. Barboglio, and A. Gousse, “The impact of lower urinary tract symptoms and urinary incontinence on female sexual dysfunction using a validated instrument,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1418–1423, 2008.
- G. W. Lam, A. Foldspang, L. B. Elving, and S. Mommsen, “Social context, social abstention, and problem recognition correlated with adult female urinary incontinence,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 565–570, 1992.
- Y. S. Hannestad, G. Rortveit, H. Sandvik, and S. Hunskaar, “A community-based epidemiological survey of female urinary incontinence: the Norwegian EPINCONT study,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1150–1157, 2000.
- K. L. Burgio, K. A. Matthews, and B. T. Engel, “Prevalence, incidence and correlates of urinary incontinence in healthy, middle-aged women,” Journal of Urology, vol. 146, no. 5, pp. 1255–1259, 1991.
- M. Serati, S. Salvatore, S. Uccella et al., “The impact of the mid-urethral slings for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence on female sexuality,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1534–1542, 2009.
- A. Salonia, G. Zanni, R. E. Nappi et al., “Sexual dysfunction is common in women with lower urinary tract symptoms and urinary incontinence: results of a cross sectional study,” European Urology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 642–648, 2004.
- C. Shaw, “A systematic review of the literature on the prevalence of sexual impairment in women with urinary incontinence and the prevalence of urinary leakage during sexual activity,” European Urology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 432–440, 2002.
- P. Hilton, “Urinary incontinence during sexual intercourse: a common, but rarely volunteered, symptom,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 377–381, 1988.
- P. A. Moran, P. L. Dwyer, and S. P. Ziccone, “Urinary leakage during coitus in women,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 286–288, 1999.
- N. K. Beji, O. Yalcin, H. A. Erkan, and A. Kayir, “Effect of urinary leakage on sexual function during sexual intercourse,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 250–255, 2005.
- G. E. Leach, R. R. Dmochowski, R. A. Appell et al., “Female stress urinary incontinence clinical guidelines panel summary report on surgical management of female stress urinary incontinence,” Journal of Urology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 875–880, 1997.
- K. L. Ward and P. Hilton, “Tension-free vaginal tape versus colposuspension for primary urodynamic stress incontinence: 5-year follow up,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 226–233, 2008.
- A. Liapis, P. Bakas, and G. Creatsas, “Long-term efficacy of tension-free vaginal tape in the management of stress urinary incontinence in women: efficacy at 5- and 7-year follow-up,” International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1509–1512, 2008.
- C. G. Nilsson, K. Palva, M. Rezapour, and C. Falconer, “Eleven years prospective follow-up of the tension-free vaginal tape procedure for treatment of stress urinary incontinence,” International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1043–1047, 2008.
- S. Gandhi, Y. Abramov, C. Kwon et al., “TVT versus SPARC: comparison of outcomes for two midurethral tape procedures,” International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2006.
- O. Dalpiaz, G. Primus, and L. Schips, “SPARC sling system for treatment of female stress urinary incontinence in the elderly,” European Urology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 826–831, 2006.
- B. Deval, M. Levardon, E. Samain et al., “A French multicenter clinical trial of SPARC for stress urinary incontinence,” European Urology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 254–259, 2003.
- S. Heidler, P. Ofner-Kopeinig, E. Puchwein, K. Pummer, and G. Primus, “The suprapubic arch sling procedure for treatment of stress urinary incontinence: a 5-year retrospective study,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 897–901, 2010.
- M. A. Hodroff, S. E. Sutherland, J. B. Kesha, and S. W. Siegel, “Treatment of stress incontinence with the SPARC sling: intraoperative and early complications of 445 patients,” Urology, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 760–762, 2005.
- R. Rosen, C. Brown, J. Heiman et al., “The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function,” Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 191–208, 2000.
- E. Yeni, D. Unal, A. Verit, H. Kafali, H. Ciftci, and M. Gulum, “The effect of tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) procedure on sexual function in women with stress incontinence,” International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 390–394, 2003.
- C. Mazouni, G. Karsenty, F. Bretelle, F. Bladou, M. Gamerre, and G. Serment, “Urinary complications and sexual function after the tension-free vaginal tape procedure,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 955–961, 2004.
- I. Goldstein and J. R. Berman, “Vasculogenic female sexual dysfunction: vaginal engorgement and clitorial erectile insufficiency syndromes,” International Journal of Impotence Research, vol. 10, supplement 2, pp. 84–101, 1998.
- S. Caruso, S. Rugolo, S. Bandiera, D. Mirabella, A. Cavallaro, and A. Cianci, “Clitoral blood flow changes after surgery for stress urinary incontinence: pilot study on TVT versus TOT procedures,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 554–557, 2007.
- G. Pace and C. Vicentini, “Female sexual function evaluation of the tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) and transobturator suburethral tape (tot) incontinence surgery: results of a prospective study,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 387–393, 2008.
- S. Jha, S. Radley, A. Farkas, and G. Jones, “The impact of TVT on sexual function,” International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 165–169, 2009.
- A. C. Wang, “The techniques of trocar insertion and intraoperative urethrocystoscopy in tension-free vaginal taping: an experience of 600 cases,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 293–298, 2004.
- A. Kuhn, F. Burkhard, C. Eggemann, and M. D. Mueller, “Sexual function after suburethral sling removal for dyspareunia,” Surgical Endoscopy and other Interventional Techniques, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 765–768, 2009.