- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 958465, 8 pages
Formulation and Evaluation of Chitosan-Chondroitin Sulphate Based Nasal Inserts for Zolmitriptan
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research, Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab 147002, India
Received 25 April 2013; Accepted 26 August 2013
Academic Editor: Shirui Mao
Copyright © 2013 Kirandeep Kaur and Gurpreet Kaur. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Gupta, S. Mehrotra, C. M. Villalón, M. Perusquía, P. R. Saxena, and A. MaassenVanDenBrink, “Potential role of female sex hormones in the pathophysiology of migraine,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 321–340, 2007.
- H. U. Sheikh and P. G. Mathew, “Acute and preventive treatment of migraine attacks,” Techniques in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2012.
- S. K. Aurora, S. H. Kori, P. Barrodale, S. A. McDonald, and D. Haseley, “Gastric stasis in migraine: more than just a paroxysmal abnormality during a migraine attack,” Headache, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2006.
- Y. Chugh, P. Kapoor, and A. K. Kapoor, “Intranasal drug delivery: a novel approach,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 90–94, 2009.
- E. Touitou and L. Illum, “Nasal drug delivery,” Drug Delivery and Translational Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2013.
- U. Bertram and R. Bodmeier, “Parameters affecting the drug release from in situ gelling nasal inserts,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 310–319, 2006.
- R. C. Glen, G. R. Martin, A. P. Hill et al., “Computer-aided design and synthesis of 5-substituted tryptamines and their pharmacology at the 5-HT1D receptor: discovery of compounds with potential anti-migraine properties,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 18, pp. 3566–3580, 1995.
- A. M. Ropoport, M. E. Bigal, S. J. Tepper, and F. D. Sheftell, “Zolmitriptan (Zomig),” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2004.
- S. S. Bhattacharya, S. Shukla, S. Banerjee, et al., “Tailored IPN hydrogel bead of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose and sodium carboxymethyl xanthan gum for controlled delivery of diclofenac sodium,” Polymer-Plastics Technology Engineering, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 795–805, 2013.
- M. Thanou, J. C. Verhoef, and H. E. Junginger, “Oral drug absorption enhancement by chitosan and its derivatives,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 117–126, 2001.
- A. Bernkop-Schnürch and S. Dünnhaupt, “Chitosan-based drug delivery systems,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 463–469, 2012.
- W.-B. Chen, L.-F. Wang, J.-S. Chen, and S.-Y. Fan, “Characterization of polyelectrolyte complexes between chondroitin sulfate and chitosan in the solid state,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research - Part A, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 128–137, 2005.
- B. Luppi, F. Bigucci, A. Abruzzo, G. Corace, T. Cerchiara, and V. Zecchi, “Freeze-dried chitosan/pectin nasal inserts for antipsychotic drug delivery,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 381–387, 2010.
- R. M. Gilhotra and D. N. Mishra, “Alginate-chitosan film for ocular drug delivery: effect of surface cross-linking on film properties and characterization,” Pharmazie, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 576–579, 2008.
- G. Kaur, V. Rana, S. Jain, and A. K. Tiwary, “Colon delivery of budesonide: evaluation of chitosan-chondroitin sulfate interpolymer complex,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 36–45, 2010.
- W. Kemp, “Infrared spectroscopy,” in Organic Spectroscopy, MacMillan, London, UK, 1991.
- C. Tapia, Z. Escobar, E. Costa et al., “Comparative studies on polyelectrolyte complexes and mixtures of chitosan-alginate and chitosan-carrageenan as prolonged diltiazem clorhydrate release systems,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 65–75, 2004.
- M. Jindal, V. Kumar, V. Rana, et al., “Physico-chemical, mechanical and electrical performance of bael fruit gum-chitosan IPN films,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 192–199, 2013.
- G. M. Spinks, C. K. Lee, G. G. Wallace, S. I. Kim, and S. J. Kim, “Swelling behavior of chitosan hydrogels in ionic liquid-water binary systems,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 9375–9379, 2006.
- N. A. Peppas and P. A. Buri, “Surface, interfacial and molecular aspects of polymer bioadhesion on soft tissues,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 2, pp. 257–275, 1985.
- S.-H. S. Leung and J. R. Robinson, “The contribution of anionic polymer structural features to mucoadhesion,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 223–231, 1988.
- K. M. Tur and H.-S. Ch'ng, “Evaluation of possible mechanism(s) of bioadhesion,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 61–74, 1998.
- S. Wittaya-Areekul, J. Kruenate, and C. Prahsarn, “Preparation and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive properties of alginate/chitosan microparticles containing prednisolone,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 312, no. 1-2, pp. 113–118, 2006.
- J. Sujja-Areevath, D. L. Munday, P. J. Cox, and K. A. Khan, “Relationship between swelling, erosion and drug release in hydrophillic natural gum mini-matrix formulations,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 207–217, 1998.