- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 962369, 10 pages
In Vivo Imaging of Leukocyte Recruitment to the Atheroprone Femoral Artery Reveals Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Rosuvastatin
1Department of Life Sciences and Bioethics, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1-5-45 Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8519, Japan
2Department of Geriatrics and Vascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1-5-45 Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8519, Japan
Received 25 September 2012; Revised 4 December 2012; Accepted 14 December 2012
Academic Editor: Hartmut Jaeschke
Copyright © 2013 Mizuko Osaka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Blankenberg, S. Barbaux, and L. Tiret, “Adhesion molecules and atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 191–203, 2003.
- A. Zernecke and C. Weber, “Chemokines in the vascular inflammatory response of atherosclerosis,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 192–201, 2010.
- P. Libby, “Inflammation in atherosclerosis,” Nature, vol. 420, no. 6917, pp. 868–874, 2002.
- P. Aukrust, B. Halvorsen, A. Yndestad et al., “Chemokines and cardiovascular risk,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1909–1919, 2008.
- O. E. Johansen, K. I. Birkeland, E. Brustad et al., “Undiagnosed dysglycaemia and inflammation in cardiovascular disease,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 544–551, 2006.
- P. H. Reinhardt and P. Kubes, “Differential leukocyte recruitment from whole blood via endothelial adhesion molecules under shear conditions,” Blood, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 4691–4699, 1998.
- E. Tzima, M. Irani-Tehrani, W. B. Kiosses et al., “A mechanosensory complex that mediates the endothelial cell response to fluid shear stress,” Nature, vol. 437, no. 7057, pp. 426–431, 2005.
- M. Osaka, S. Hagita, M. Haraguchi, M. Kajimura, M. Suematsu, and M. Yoshida, “Real-time imaging of mechanically injured femoral artery in mice reveals a biphasic pattern of leukocyte accumulation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 4, pp. H1876–H1882, 2007.
- U. Jung and K. Ley, “Mice lacking two or all three selectins demonstrate overlapping and distinct functions for each selectin,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 162, no. 11, pp. 6755–6762, 1999.
- D. Waters, L. Higginson, P. Gladstone et al., “Effects of monotherapy with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor on the progression of coronary atherosclerosis as assessed by serial quantitative arteriography: The Canadian coronary atherosclerosis intervention trial,” Circulation, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 959–968, 1994.
- U. Rauch, J. I. Osende, J. H. Chesebro et al., “Statins and cardiovascular diseases: the multiple effects of lipid-lowering therapy by statins,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 181–189, 2000.
- S. E. Nissen, S. J. Nicholls, I. Sipahi et al., “Effect of very high-intensity statin therapy on regression of coronary atherosclerosis: the ASTEROID trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 13, pp. 1556–1565, 2006.
- U. Schönbeck and P. Libby, “Inflammation, immunity, and HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors: statins as antiinflammatory agents?” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 21, supplement 1, pp. II18–II26, 2004.
- N. R. Veillard, V. Braunersreuther, C. Arnaud et al., “Simvastatin modulates chemokine and chemokine receptor expression by geranylgeranyl isoprenoid pathway in human endothelial cells and macrophages,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2006.
- P. M. Ridker, “Rusuvastatin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease among patients with low levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein: rationale and design of the JUPITER trial,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 19, pp. 2292–2297, 2003.
- P. Nachtigal, N. Pospisilova, G. Jamborova et al., “Atorvastatin has hypolipidemic and anti-inflammatory effects in apoE/LDL receptor-double-knockout mice,” Life Sciences, vol. 82, no. 13-14, pp. 708–717, 2008.
- K. Nakamura, T. Sasaki, X. W. Cheng, A. Iguchi, K. Sato, and M. Kuzuya, “Statin prevents plaque disruption in apoE-knockout mouse model through pleiotropic effect on acute inflammation,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 355–361, 2009.
- S. Hagita, M. Osaka, K. Shimokado, and M. Yoshida, “Adipose inflammation initiates recruitment of leukocytes to mouse femoral artery: role of adipo-vascular axis in chronic inflammation,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19871, 2011.
- S. Hagita, M. Osaka, K. Shimokado, and M. Yoshida, “Combination of amlodipine and atorvastatin synergistically reduces leukocyte recruitment to mechanically injured mouse femoral artery,” Hypertension Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 450–455, 2011.
- S. Ito, M. Osaka, Y. Higuchi, F. Nishijima, H. Ishii, and M. Yoshida, “Indoxyl sulfate induces leukocyte-endothelial interactions through up-regulation of E-selectin,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 50, pp. 38869–38875, 2010.
- J. Ino, C. Kojima, M. Osaka, K. Nitta, and M. Yoshida, “Dynamic observation of mechanically-injured mouse femoral artery reveals an antiinflammatory effect of renin inhibitor,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1858–1863, 2009.
- S. Hagita, M. Osaka, K. Shimokado, and M. Yoshida, “Oxidative stress in mononuclear cells plays a dominant role in their adhesion to mouse femoral artery after injury,” Hypertension, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 797–802, 2008.
- C. Justicia, A. Martín, S. Rojas et al., “Anti-VCAM-1 antibodies did not protect against ischemic damage either in rats or in mice,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 421–432, 2006.
- R. A. Bowden, Z. M. Ding, E. M. Donnachie et al., “Role of α4 integrin and VCAM-1 in CD18-independent neutrophil migration across mouse cardiac endothelium,” Circulation Research, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 562–569, 2002.
- T. Papayannopoulou, C. Craddock, B. Nakamoto, G. V. Priestley, and N. S. Wolf, “The VLA4/VCAM-1 adhesion pathway defines contrasting mechanisms of lodgement of transplanted murine hemopoietic progenitors between bone marrow and spleen,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 21, pp. 9647–9651, 1995.
- S. E. Choi, H. J. Jang, Y. Kang et al., “Atherosclerosis induced by a high-fat diet is alleviated by lithium chloride via reduction of VCAM expression in ApoE-deficient mice,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 53, no. 5-6, pp. 264–272, 2010.
- Y. Nakashima, E. W. Raines, A. S. Plump, J. L. Breslow, and R. Ross, “Upregulation of VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 at atherosclerosis-prone sites on the endothelium in the apoE-deficient mouse,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 842–851, 1998.
- Y. W. Lee, H. Kühn, B. Hennig, A. S. Neish, and M. Toborek, “IL-4-induced oxidative stress upregulates VCAM-1 gene expression in human endothelial cells,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 83–94, 2001.
- A. J. Cayatte, A. Rupin, J. Oliver-Krasinski et al., “S17834, a new inhibitor of cell adhesion and atherosclerosis that targets NADPH oxidase,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1577–1584, 2001.
- I. Sinha-Hikim, A. P. Sinha-Hikim, R. Shen et al., “A novel cystine based antioxidant attenuates oxidative stress and hepatic steatosis in diet-induced obese mice,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 419–428, 2011.
- M. Hiraoka, N. Nitta, M. Nagai, K. Shimokado, and M. Yoshida, “MCP-1-induced enhancement of THP-1 adhesion to vascular endothelium was modulated by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor through RhoA GTPase-, but not ERK1/2-dependent pathway,” Life Sciences, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1333–1341, 2004.
- D. Rotrosen, M. E. Kleinberg, H. Nunoi, T. Leto, J. I. Gallin, and H. L. Malech, “Evidence for a functional cytoplasmic domain of phagocyte oxidase cytochrome b558,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 265, no. 15, pp. 8745–8750, 1990.
- M. Ishikawa, K. Y. Stokes, J. H. Zhang, A. Nanda, and D. N. Granger, “Cerebral microvascular responses to hypercholesterolemia roles of NADPH oxidase and P-selectin,” Circulation Research, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 239–244, 2004.