- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 968692, 9 pages
Optimization of the Alkaline Pretreatment of Rice Straw for Enhanced Methane Yield
1College of Forestry, Northwest A&F University, Yangling, Shaanxi Province 712100, China
2Research Center for Recycling Agricultural Engineering Technology of Shaanxi Province, Yangling, Shaanxi Province 712100, China
3College of Agronomy, Northwest A&F University, Yangling, Shaanxi Province 712100, China
Received 14 September 2012; Accepted 16 November 2012
Academic Editor: Shi-You Ding
Copyright © 2013 Zilin Song et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Sonakya, N. Raizada, and V. C. Kalia, “Microbial and enzymatic improvement of anaerobic digestion of waste biomass,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 23, no. 18, pp. 1463–1466, 2001.
- M. Hjorth, K. Gränitz, A. P. S. Adamsen, and H. B. Møller, “Extrusion as a pretreatment to increase biogas production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 8, pp. 4989–4994, 2011.
- W. B. Tu, L. X. Zhang, Z. R. Zhou, X. Liu, and Z. T. Fu, “The development of renewable energy in resource-rich region: a case in China,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 856–860, 2011.
- National Bureau of Statistics of China, China Statistical Yearbook, China Statistics Press, Beijing, China, 2009.
- Y. M. Sun, G. X. Li, F. D. Zhang, C. L. Shi, and Z. J. Sun, “Status quo and developmental strategy of agricultural residues resources in China,” Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 169–173, 2005 (Chinese).
- N. Mosier, C. Wyman, B. Dale et al., “Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 673–686, 2005.
- L. N. Liew, J. Shi, and Y. B. Li, “Enhancing the solid-state anaerobic digestion of fallen leaves through simultaneous alkaline treatment,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 19, pp. 8828–8834, 2011.
- Y. Q. Lin, D. H. Wang, S. Q. Wu, and C. M. Wang, “Alkali pretreatment enhances biogas production in the anaerobic digestion of pulp and paper sludge,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 366–373, 2009.
- K. S. Hoon, Lime pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of corn stover [Ph.D. thesis of Philosophy], Texas A & M University, 2004.
- W. E. Kaar and M. T. Holtzapple, “Using lime pretreatment to facilitate the enzymic hydrolysis of corn stover,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 189–199, 2000.
- W. Z. Zhong, Z. Z. Zhang, W. Qiao, P. C. Fu, and M. Liu, “Comparison of chemical and biological pretreatment of corn straw for biogas production by anaerobic digestion,” Renewable Energy, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1875–1879, 2011.
- J. L. Xu, J. J. Cheng, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, and J. C. Burns, “Lime pretreatment of switchgrass at mild temperatures for ethanol production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2900–2903, 2010.
- T. H. Kim, J. S. Kim, C. Sunwoo, and Y. Y. Lee, “Pretreatment of corn stover by aqueous ammonia,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2003.
- G. Qin, R. Liu, and C. Sun, “Effects of different concentrations of NaOH pretreatment on anaerobic digestion of rice straw for biogas production,” Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, vol. 27, supplement 1, pp. 59–63, 2011 (Chinese).
- M. T. Holtzapple, R. R. Davison, M. K. Ross et al., “Biomass conversion to mixed alcohol fuels using the MixAlco process,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 77–79, pp. 609–631, 1999.
- V. S. Chang, M. Nagwani, C. H. Kim, and M. T. Holtzapple, “Oxidative lime pretreatment of high-lignin biomass: poplar wood and newspaper,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 2001.
- S. C. Rabelo, H. Carrere, R. Maciel Filho, and A. C. Costa, “Production of bioethanol, methane and heat from sugarcane bagasse in a biorefinery concept,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 17, pp. 7887–7895, 2011.
- G. E. P. Box and N. R. Draper, Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- D. Ba and I. H. Boyaci, “Modeling and optimization I: usability of response surface methodology,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 836–845, 2007.
- A. A. L. Zinatizadeh, A. R. Mohamed, A. Z. Abdullah, M. D. Mashitah, M. H. Isa, and G. D. Najafpour, “Process modeling and analysis of palm oil mill effluent treatment in an up-flow anaerobic sludge fixed film bioreactor using response surface methodology (RSM),” Water Research, vol. 40, no. 17, pp. 3193–3208, 2006.
- R. Rafique, T. G. Poulsen, A. S. Nizami, Z. U. Z. Asam, J. D. Murphy, and G. Kiely, “Effect of thermal, chemical and thermo-chemical pre-treatments to enhance methane production,” Energy, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 4556–4561, 2010.
- J. R. Bai, Y. B. Li, O. Y. Guo et al., “Effects of ratios of manure and straw, urea and cellulose on biogas yields at different temperatures,” Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 188–193, 2009 (Chinese).
- Z. L. Song, Y. B. Li, G. H. Yang, J. J. Qin, G. X. Ren, and Y. Z. Feng, “Effect of total solid concentration and temperature on biogas yields of mixture of chicken manure and corn straw,” Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 260–265, 2010 (Chinese).
- S. L. C. Ferreira, R. E. Bruns, H. S. Ferreira et al., “Box-Behnken design: an alternative for the optimization of analytical methods,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 597, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 2007.
- American Public Health Association, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 19th edition, 1995.
- D. W. Nelson and L. E. Sommers, “Total carbon, organic carbon, and organic matter,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Chemical and Microbial Properties, A. L. Page, R. H. Miller, and D. R. Keeney, Eds., vol. 9 of Agronomy Monograph, pp. 539–552, Agronomy Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- J. M. Bremner and C. S. Mulvaney, “Nitrogen-total,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Chemical and Microbial Properties, A. L. Page, R. H. Miller, and D. R. Keeney, Eds., vol. 9 of Agronomy Monograph, pp. 595–624, Agronomy Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chengdu Institute of Biology, Routine Analysis of Biogas Fermentation, Science Technology Press, Beijing, China, 1984.
- S. Kim and M. T. Holtzapple, “Lime pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of corn stover,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 96, no. 18, pp. 1994–2006, 2005.
- Y. Chen, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, D. Keshwani, and C. Chen, “Potential of agricultural residues and hay for bioethanol production,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 276–290, 2007.
- M. Torre, A. R. Rodriguez, and F. Saura-Calixto, “Study of the interactions of calcium ions with lignin, cellulose, and pectin,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1762–1766, 1992.
- O. Lahav and B. E. Morgan, “Titration methodologies for monitoring of anaerobic digestion in developing countries—a review,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 1331–1341, 2004.
- I. S. Turovskiy and P. K. Mathai, Wastewaster Sludge Processing, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- L. Björnsson, M. Murto, and B. Mattiasson, “Evaluation of parameters for monitoring an anaerobic co-digestion process,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 844–849, 2000.
- K. Koch, M. Lübken, T. Gehring, M. Wichern, and H. Horn, “Biogas from grass silage—measurements and modeling with ADM1,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 21, pp. 8158–8165, 2010.