- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 969135, 10 pages
Bioleaching of Arsenic-Rich Gold Concentrates by Bacterial Flora before and after Mutation
College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Donghua University, 2999 North Renmin Road, Shanghai 201620, China
Received 20 September 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Chong-Jian Tang
Copyright © 2013 Xuehui Xie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Gao, D. Li, Y. Zhou, X. Sun, and W. Sun, “Kinetics of high-sulphur and high-arsenic refractory gold concentrate oxidation by dilute nitric acid under mild conditions,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 2009.
- Q. Li, D. Li, and F. Qian, “Pre-oxidation of high-sulfur and high-arsenic refractory gold concentrate by ozone and ferric ions in acidic media,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 97, no. 1-2, pp. 61–66, 2009.
- P. A. Schmitz, S. Duyvesteyn, W. P. Johnson, L. Enloe, and J. McMullen, “Adsorption of aurocyanide complexes onto carbonaceous matter from preg-robbing Goldstrike ore,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 121–135, 2001.
- C. L. Zhu, H. Y. Yang, X. G. Tang, Y. J. Fan, and L. L. Tong, “Current status of studies on bacterial pre-oxidation and leaching of refractory gold ores with as,” Precious Metals, vol. 31, pp. 48–52, 2010 (Chinese).
- P. Miller and A. Brown, “Bacterial oxidation of refractory gold concentrates,” Developments in Mineral Processing, vol. 15, pp. 371–402, 2005.
- R.-C. Cui, H.-Y. Yang, S. Chen, S. Zhang, and K.-F. Li, “Valence variation of arsenic in bioleaching process of arsenic-bearing gold ore,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1171–1176, 2010.
- J. J. Plumb, R. Muddle, and P. D. Franzmann, “Effect of pH on rates of iron and sulfur oxidation by bioleaching organisms,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 76–82, 2008.
- Y.-D. Liu, X.-B. Wang, W.-T. Shi, Y. Yang, and X. Zhang, “Experimental research into the mutagenic mechanism of Thiobacillus ferrooxidans,” Transaction of Beijing Institute of Technology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 869–872, 2010 (Chinese).
- A.-L. Xu, J.-L. Xia, S. Zhang, Y. Yang, Z.-Y. Nie, and G.-Z. Qiu, “Bioleaching of chalcopyrite by UV-induced mutagenized Acidiphilium cryptum and Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 315–321, 2010.
- J. Kang, G.-Z. Qiu, J. Gao, H.-H. Wang, X.-L. Wu, and J.-N. Ding, “Bioleaching of chalcocite by mixed microorganisms subjected to mutation,” Journal of Central South University of Technology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 218–222, 2009.
- C. Meng, X. Shi, H. Lin, J. Chen, and Y. Guo, “UV induced mutations in Acidianus brierleyi growing in a continuous stirred tank reactor generated a strain with improved bioleaching capabilities,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1136–1140, 2007.
- L. Xia, J. Zeng, J. Ding et al., “Comparison of three induced mutation methods for Acidiothiobacillus caldus in processing sphalerite,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 20, no. 14, pp. 1323–1326, 2007.
- L.-X. Xia, L. Tang, J.-L. Xia et al., “Relationships among bioleaching performance, additional elemental sulfur, microbial population dynamics and its energy metabolism in bioleaching of chalcopyrite,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 192–198, 2012.
- X. W. Yuan, Bioleaching of arsenic-rich gold ores with bacterial mixture before and after mutation and study of community shift [M.S. thesis], Donghua University, Shanghai, China, 2013, (Chinese).
- Y. S. Xiao and X. Y. Zhang, “Dotection of serum ferroxidase activity by two-point inverse calibration,” Jiangxi Journal of Medical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 19, pp. 343–346, 2001 (Chinese).
- D. B. Johnson, “Selective solid media for isolating and enumerating acidophilic bacteria,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 205–218, 1995.
- E. El-Bestawy, E. Abou El-KHeir, H. I. Abd El-Fatah, and S. M. Hassouna, “Enhancement of bacterial efficiency for metal removal using mutation techniques,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 853–856, 1998.
- N. Mollania, K. Khajeh, B. Ranjbar, and S. Hosseinkhani, “Enhancement of a bacterial laccase thermostability through directed mutagenesis of a surface loop,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 446–452, 2011.
- X. W. Zhao, M. H. Zhou, Q. B. Li et al., “Simultaneous mercury bioaccumulation and cell propagation by genetically engineered Escherichia coli,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1611–1616, 2005.
- J. Zeng, M. Geng, Y. Liu et al., “Expression, purification and molecular modelling of the Iro protein from Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans Fe-1,” Protein Expression and Purification, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 146–152, 2007.
- C. Ida, K. Sasaki, A. Ando, R. C. Blake II, H. Saiki, and N. Ohmura, “Kinetic rate constant for electron transfer between ferrous ions and novel rusticyanin isoform in Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 534–537, 2003.
- A. Yarzábal, K. Duquesne, and V. Bonnefoy, “Rusticyanin gene expression of Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans ATCC 33020 in sulfur- and in ferrous iron media,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 107–114, 2003.
- Y. Dong, H. Lin, H. Wang, X. Mo, K. Fu, and H. Wen, “Effects of ultraviolet irradiation on bacteria mutation and bioleaching of low-grade copper tailings,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 870–875, 2011.
- J. Vilcáez, K. Suto, and C. Inoue, “Response of thermophiles to the simultaneous addition of sulfur and ferric ion to enhance the bioleaching of chalcopyrite,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 21, no. 15, pp. 1063–1074, 2008.
- A. Ahmadi, M. Schaffie, J. Petersen, A. Schippers, and M. Ranjbar, “Conventional and electrochemical bioleaching of chalcopyrite concentrates by moderately thermophilic bacteria at high pulp density,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 106, no. 1-2, pp. 84–92, 2011.
- H. Ciftci and A. Akcil, “Effect of biooxidation conditions on cyanide consumption and gold recovery from a refractory gold concentrate,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 142–149, 2010.
- J. J. Plumb, N. J. McSweeney, and P. D. Franzmann, “Growth and activity of pure and mixed bioleaching strains on low grade chalcopyrite ore,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2008.
- H.-B. Zhou, W.-M. Zeng, Z.-F. Yang, Y.-J. Xie, and G.-Z. Qiu, “Bioleaching of chalcopyrite concentrate by a moderately thermophilic culture in a stirred tank reactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 515–520, 2009.
- M. Fantauzzi, C. Licheri, D. Atzei et al., “Arsenopyrite and pyrite bioleaching: evidence from XPS, XRD and ICP techniques,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 401, no. 7, pp. 2237–2248, 2011.
- R. L. Flemming, K. A. Salzsauler, B. L. Sherriff, and N. V. Sidenko, “Identification of scorodite in fine-grained, high-sulfide, arsenopyrite mine-waste using micro x-ray diffraction (μXRD),” Canadian Mineralogist, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1243–1254, 2005.
- H. He, J.-L. Xia, F.-F. Hong, X.-X. Tao, Y.-W. Leng, and Y.-D. Zhao, “Analysis of sulfur speciation on chalcopyrite surface bioleached with Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 27-28, pp. 60–64, 2012.
- L. Chang-Li, X. Jin-Lan, N. Zhen-Yuan, Y. Yi, and M. Chen-Yan, “Effect of sodium chloride on sulfur speciation of chalcopyrite bioleached by the extreme thermophile Acidianus manzaensis,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 110, pp. 462–467, 2012.
- A. Ahmadi, M. Ranjbar, and M. Schaffie, “Catalytic effect of pyrite on the leaching of chalcopyrite concentrates in chemical, biological and electrobiochemical systems,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 34, pp. 11–18, 2012.
- A. Hol, R. D. van der Weijden, G. van Weert, P. Kondos, and C. J. N. Buisman, “Processing of arsenopyritic gold concentrates by partial bio-oxidation followed by bioreduction,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 45, no. 15, pp. 6316–6321, 2011.
- K. Takatsugi, K. Sasaki, and T. Hirajima, “Mechanism of the enhancement of bioleaching of copper from enargite by thermophilic iron-oxidizing archaea with the concomitant precipitation of arsenic,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 109, no. 1-2, pp. 90–96, 2011.